Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA League Galway - A note on Veterans and Rookies

Options
  • 19-02-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I have had a number of questions relating to fighters wondering whether to enter as Veteran or Rookie this year, I want to try and clarify the distinction now;
    enter as a Veteran if any of the following are true -
    You fought 3 times or more in the League already
    You have trained in MMA for two years or more
    You have trained in Boxing, Kickboxing, Thai Boxing, Judo, Wrestling or Jiu Jitsu for three years or more

otherwise enter as a Rookie.

One important note relating to that -

There were 26 veterans in the League last year, spread across four events. There were usually no more than 8 at each event, if you fight in the Veteran division this year then the vast majority of your matches will be against fighters who were Rookies last year as well.

Hopefully this clarifies the Rookie/Veteran issue for the Galway Leg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I have had a number of questions relating to fighters wondering whether to enter as Veteran or Rookie this year, I want to try and clarify the distinction now;
    enter as a Veteran if any of the following are true -
    You fought 3 times or more in the League already
    You have trained in MMA for two years or more
    You have trained in Boxing, Kickboxing, Thai Boxing, Judo, Wrestling or Jiu Jitsu for three years or more

otherwise enter as a Rookie.

One important note relating to that -

There were 26 veterans in the League last year, spread across four events. There were usually no more than 8 at each event, if you fight in the Veteran division this year then the vast majority of your matches will be against fighters who were Rookies last year as well.

Hopefully this clarifies the Rookie/Veteran issue for the Galway Leg.

Can a mod fix the spelling of "note" in the title of this thread please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I always thought the distinction was Rookie= no armpit hair, Veteran=Has a far away look in his eye.

I am so misguided. Thanks for the clarification.

You are a funny mofo Barry, if I didn't know you, you would so be reported for trolling a legitimate topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

If you dont train in mma but have striking experience and ground experience can you fight in this league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    If you dont train in mma but have striking experience and ground experience can you fight in this league?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Of course, just check with your coach that his club insurance will cover you to enter. Most of us involved in MMA back when it started did exactly what you are thinking of doing - jumped in with basic training in individual arts.

im 88 kg and 15 yrs old

im 88 kg and 15 yrs old

Register online and I'll see you down there.

im not sure yet due to personal reasons and exams etc

im not sure yet due to personal reasons and exams etc
    That's fine too!
    Come along and watch and you will know what to expect from when you do enter.

• Advertisement

thing is i have no ground exp yet and i was training in muay thai for 5 months but dont go to the club anymore

Daniel - you are dragging this topic more and more off topic, I'd be happy to continue this conversation via email, you can get me at info [at] MMALeague [dot] com

Advertisement