Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this software and can I delete it?

• 19-02-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm using an old computer which keeps putting up messages that I'm low on disc space (it's now disabled system restore because there's not enough disc space), so I'm trying to delete as many unused programs as possible.

I have a few HP programs which were on the computer when I got it, not sure what they are, I think they may be software that came with a printer (which I don't have). I googled one of them (HP Extended Capabilties 5.3, which is using 183 MB) and it seeme to be a research program for HP, but it said not to delete it if you have HP PSC and Officejet 5.3.b, which is also on my computer. I googled that, but didn't find out what it was. I also have HP Imaging Device Functions 5.3 and HP Image Zone express.....are these all obsolete programs relating to a computer that is no longer attached to my PC, or are any of them vital to running the PC?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The participation in this market research can be cancelled at any moment by clicking Start , Programs or All Programs , HP , Stop HP Product Survey Product Participation."

"Although it is possible to uninstall the HP Extended Capabilities survey program completely through the Add and Remove Programs Windows tool, HP does not recommend doing so because some of the HP product capabilities may be affected."

HP just want to keep their crap on your PC so you'll rely on HP.

Delete the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm using an old computer which keeps putting up messages that I'm low on disc space (it's now disabled system restore because there's not enough disc space), so I'm trying to delete as many unused programs as possible.
    How big is the hard drive, and how much space is free?

Get a free program called spacemonger @ http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spacemonger.html and scan your PC with it. It'll tell you what folders are taking up the most room. This is handy, as I've found some big folders would have lots of small files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebell Wood

I thought that about the market research one, just not sure whether all the HP programs are printer software.....the name 'officejet' threw me a bit because I though it might be a program like microsoft office that I do use....I didn't want to suddenly find I couldn't open a spreadsheet anymore or something like that because I'd deleted something important

the hardrive is 4.6 GB and it says 4.68 is being used, free space is 0. I have an extra HDD which I use for documents, so that's only programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

That doesn't seem possible... does Windows even fit on 4.6gigs lol?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

the hardrive is 4.6 GB and it says 4.68 is being used, free space is 0. I have an extra HDD which I use for documents, so that's only programs

The PC is in the region of 10+ years old? Just replace it.

new problem....just tried to delete the programs and am getting pop up error messages...
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error
    Abnormal program termination

What's going on?

Spear wrote: »
    The PC is in the region of 10+ years old? Just replace it.
    Just replace it...lol! If you happen to have a few hundred euro to spare perhaps you could send it in this direction!

I do have a more modern computer as well, but this one works well for the things I use it for.

Can anyone help me with deleting the programs now, I'm getting error messages and don't know how to do it.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    That doesn't seem possible... does Windows even fit on 4.6gigs lol?
    just checked it out, windows is using 4.16 gigs.....computer works fine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Clear out temporary folder, and browser cache, reduce size of recycle bin.If you don't use hibernate, turn that off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement