Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom DNS down

• 19-02-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice? seems to have been down since yesterday and is affecting 194.125.133.10 subnet as well as 159.134.237.6 subnet.
    Possibly the newer one also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Do you not use OpenDNS? I switched to that last summer when eircom's DNS was being hacked and haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Or the google DNS are good as well.

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

That is what I use

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Saruman, I suspect Eircom may have tied down their DNS Service - Are you an Eircom Internet Customer? Do you have an Eircom IP Address?
    Both of those two address you specified work fine for me from my Eircom BB connection - But I can't use them on a Clearwire connection but they used to work on Clearwire up until recently - the 159.134.237.6 for sure.

There is much talk on boards about Eircom DNS being poor - Having tried many alternative DNS providers like OpenDNS Google-DNS, Ultra-DNS and a few others I am back with Eircom as it seems to work best for me.
    Actually, it's worth while trying out a DNS test with google's DNS test tool ' NameBench' - http://code.google.com/p/namebench/ - I've tried this several times, sometimes with different results but Eircom seems to be nearly always at the top - Well that's for me anyway.
    I'd be interested to hear what other people find from running the NameBench test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh no I am not affected at all, I am not an eircom customer. I am an IT pro so DNS issues mean nothing to me.

No a lot of my customers had problems over the last couple of days so I was curious to see if it was a global thing as I did not see a post about it.

It makes sense that Eircom have tied down their DNS though as otherwise I would have had more customers complaining it does not work.

Open DNS is what I got them to use instead yes.

Thanks for the info about namebench. I had not seen that before. Very handy tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Had the same thing on a couple of client sites myself they had moved from Eircom BB at some stage but still had Eircom DNS as forwarders on their internal DNS server. Can't find anything about it on line but I'm suprised with all the trouble they didn't do it sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 spids

no problems here with eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had it with a number of the better known hotels around the country. Their guest broadband was pointing to eircom DNS but they are now using magnet or some other ISP.
    Luckily I do not need DNS working to access their systems so I can change the DNS servers remotely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

spids wrote: »
    no problems here with eircom

Who's your ISP?
    Saruman wrote: »
    I had it with a number of the better known hotels around the country. Their guest broadband was pointing to eircom DNS but they are now using magnet or some other ISP.
    Luckily I do not need DNS working to access their systems so I can change the DNS servers remotely.

SNAP took a little figuring out though!:D

Advertisement