Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSM-V Changes

• 19-02-2010 12:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So far, changes seem likely to apply to binge eating, bipolar, Asperger's, and self-injury (poor article from NPR).

I'm not surprised that Asperger's is going to be subsumed into Autism/Autistic Spectrum Disorder. It's been coming down the line for a while now. I wonder how much difference these changes will make to anyone working in the field or parents seeking resources. There might be greater clarity after things settle down, perhaps. When it's released is there a cut off point whereby practitioners have to revert from IV to V or is it up to each person and what they prefer to do?

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Don't forget the DSM is American. The ICD is more widely used in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

In my experience the DSM is referred to much more frequently than the ICD and has a much wider influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

What about the biggest change? The previously proposed dimensional system of classification? It's been a while since I looked into it so my information might not be very up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

The DSM is indeed the most referenced, when compared to the ICD. Regarding Asperger's Syndrome, it's reclassification to come under the Autism Spectrum is not the only big change for it. It will also now be regarded as an adult disorder (previously it was officially a childhood disorder). This should mean that adults with it - and who are suffering terribly in life - can get benefits.

Kevin

Ref: http://www.dsm5.org/ (Go to the 'Proposed Revisions' tab)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

How many new "disorders" vill be introduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

SLUSK why do you insist on derailing threads at every opportunity with your nonsensical, irrational and altogether stupid theories? It's obvious you haven't read any of the information that people have been posting in response to your scientological criticisms of psychiatry and I wonder why you even bother anymore; especially when you have adequately demonstrated that you are literally impervious to reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Valmont wrote: »
    SLUSK why do you insist on derailing threads at every opportunity with your nonsensical, irrational and altogether stupid theories? It's obvious you haven't read any of the information that people have been posting in response to your scientological criticisms of psychiatry and I wonder why you even bother anymore; especially when you have adequately demonstrated that you are literally impervious to reason.
    How am I derailing this thread? I simply asked how many new "disorders" are being introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Valmont, your reply to SLUSK was uncalled for. You should hold more restraint in yourself before you bicker at people here. SLUSK, as far as I am aware, ther won't be any more disorders in the DSM V. What is going to happen is that many current disorders are going to be reclassified under existing ones. For example, Asperger's Syndrome will be reclassified under the title of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Others, such as Narcissitic and Histrionic PDs will also be shifted.

Kevin

Ref: http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/Default.aspx

as a psychologist, I'm much more interested in transdiagnostic approaches (see Warren Mansell) than diagnostic approaches.

"In fact, until the publication of of DSM-III, the American system for classifying psychiatric disorders was virtually identical to the ICD.

During the 1970s, however, researchers affiliated with the Washington University School of Medicine (Feighner et al., 1972) developed the "research diagnostic" approach to psychiatric diagnosis, which emphasized clearly formulated and observable signs and symptoms that could be used for both research and clinical practice. DSM-III, published in 1980, incorporated this approach, adding clear diagnostic standards and objective descriptions of symptoms and behaviors." here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

Kevster wrote: »
    Valmont, your reply to SLUSK was uncalled for.

To be fair, the quotation marks around "disorder" were deliberatley put to antagonise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

as a psychologist, I'm much more interested in transdiagnostic approaches (see Warren Mansell) than diagnostic approaches.

"In fact, until the publication of of DSM-III, the American system for classifying psychiatric disorders was virtually identical to the ICD.

During the 1970s, however, researchers affiliated with the Washington University School of Medicine (Feighner et al., 1972) developed the "research diagnostic" approach to psychiatric diagnosis, which emphasized clearly formulated and observable signs and symptoms that could be used for both research and clinical practice. DSM-III, published in 1980, incorporated this approach, adding clear diagnostic standards and objective descriptions of symptoms and behaviors." here

If you were a psychiatrist in America having to fill in a number on the health insurance form referencing the diagnostic category under which your client were getting treatment from you in order to get paid you would probably sleep with the DSM beside you like a teddy bear at night though :)

hotspur wrote: »
    If you were a psychiatrist in America having to fill in a number on the health insurance form referencing the diagnostic category under which your client were getting treatment from you in order to get paid you would probably sleep with the DSM beside you like a teddy bear at night though :)

I'm a psychologist in Ireland, so I can sleep without solid lumps next to me!

Advertisement