Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home server with multi access with email needed.

• 19-02-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, im setting up a home server for a business.

Basically what i need is...

a server connected to internet.
    a ups, so if the power goes, the server remains online.

now, we have 3 people who need access to the computer.

I need 3 partitions so all 3 people can have their own private storage space, accessable only by them from the web.

They also need to be able to access their e-mail accounts which i want to store on the server.

They all have their own private outlook accounts, but i want them all to be able to access the 3 public accounts.

Also need to host their website on the server.

So, what software should i be looking at?

should i look at microsoft server 2008?
    or go with a linux based system?

any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I use an old desktop machine running Linux for this (and other tasks).
    a ups, so if the power goes, the server remains online.
    NUT will take care of UPS monitoring and shutdown control.
    I need 3 partitions so all 3 people can have their own private storage space, accessable only by them from the web.
    You can mount partitions wherever you like on the root file system. You probably don't need individual partitions for each user, given the file quota options and good multiuser security, but that's your choice.

Access can be via secure webdav, sftp, password-protected https (read-only) or whatever you like.
    They also need to be able to access their e-mail accounts which i want to store on the server.

They all have their own private outlook accounts, but i want them all to be able to access the 3 public accounts.
    I use courier-imap to serve IMAP accounts (courier-pop is also installed for pop, and Squirrelmail for webmail access). Fetchmail pulls from remote accounts, Procmail controls local delivery.
    Also need to host their website on the server.
    I use Apache.

All the software you need should be avaliable pre-packaged in the Main and Contrib repositories of your chosen distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

I think linux would be better than windows in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Unless you are a bit of a bofh i'd stick to windows server 2008 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have you been given a budget or a time line to have it ready?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

currently have the server sorted out, just looking for software at the moment now.

I dont have a dead line per say, but the sooner the better.

Personally i would prefer to stick with Windows based OS than linux, as when i hand it over, the user's dont have the best knowledge of linux, and i dont want to be teaching old monkey's new tricks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement