Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowl - can a novice put 1 up themselves?

• 19-02-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey there, has anyone gone out, got a roof ladder and put a cowl up on their chimney themselves? I want to attempt it but the hire shop where I want to get my ladder is saying not too...is he just trying to create work for another (he gave me a number of a handy man), maybe it's a case of if you never try you'll never know?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Depends on how confident you are at heights:) It could be a big fall and lead to death!! If the labour only price was only about 70 euros I would let someone else take the risk:) Not worth killing or injuring yourself. I have worked on chimneys off roof ladders but I take my time and harness myself to the chimney stack!! Don't go on the roof on a windy day!! If its a bungalow at least the fall is less!! James:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 baggytrousers

Thanks volvo 240 for your reply. I get what you're saying...calculate the risk, tis high if I fall off, one side of the house is two storey and the other domer type...so depends which side I slip off! I think I'll give it a go...although I'm trying to figure out how to use a roof ladder, I mean you still need to get the thing up there and back down so whats the point, just another thing to worry about! I've got a quote from a person who says they will put a cowl up for me for 50euros...maybe it'd be worth paying him so I don't have to attempt it. I could get go get my kicks from something less risky!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Thanks volvo 240 for your reply. I get what you're saying...calculate the risk, tis high if I fall off, one side of the house is two storey and the other domer type...so depends which side I slip off! I think I'll give it a go...although I'm trying to figure out how to use a roof ladder, I mean you still need to get the thing up there and back down so whats the point, just another thing to worry about! I've got a quote from a person who says they will put a cowl up for me for 50euros...maybe it'd be worth paying him so I don't have to attempt it. I could get go get my kicks from something less risky!:)

For 50 euros it's not worth doing yourself. I bet with the hire of the roof ladder and delivery charge and the possible other hire of another one to get up to gutter level you would probably only be saving 20 euros!!
    You carry the roof ladder up to gutter level from the hook end and then wheel it up the roof on it's wheels and then turn it over making sure the hook is well over the ridge. You may need to put some protective material at the bottom of the ladder to protect the slates/tiles if your roof has a different angle at the bottom of it. If you do it yourself make sure you have a mobile phone on you and even better someone around when you do it!! Myself I would get the man in!! Good luck James:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

what type of cowl is it? crow guard or anti downdraught type?

i work sweeping chimneys, and my advice is to get someone who knows what they are doing, the crow guard is a simple thing to fit..push it down into chimney...but the other ones need to be fitted properly...if it is a spinner cowl..and it is not fitted the correct way..it will cost you more in long run to put right..cost of fitting..we charge between €40-60 depending on location.
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its easy to put one up. The hard bit is being careful on the slates not to break them and of course there is the height aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 baggytrousers

Thanks for the responses, appreciate the advice. I figure I'll never know if I don't try, I got a quote to hire a ladder for a tener for an hour...and will borrow the other to get up to the gutter height. It's a basic crow cowl which I've tightened around the bottom so I don't have to squeeze it in, I'll just cut the plastic ties I have pulling it in. I'll post how I get on! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

Thanks for the responses, appreciate the advice. I figure I'll never know if I don't try, I got a quote to hire a ladder for a tener for an hour...and will borrow the other to get up to the gutter height. It's a basic crow cowl which I've tightened around the bottom so I don't have to squeeze it in, I'll just cut the plastic ties I have pulling it in. I'll post how I get on! :eek:

lets hope the pot dont heat up on usage:):confused::rolleyes:

Advertisement