Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flies have you tied today? Post pics here.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That looks nice. Hope you enjoy using it!
    You have furnace hackles in that according to the photo.
    So here are another two patterns that use this material:

Wet Greenwell Spider:
    Tail three short strands of furnace hackle
    Body any light olive or pale yellow colour silk,floss, or feather fibre, thin at tail end, thicker at shoulder
    Rib: gold wire over to protect body
    Hackle: 2-3 turns of furnace hen hackle

Woolley Worm:
    Use for winter and spring trout as it imitates dragonfly nymph (fast) and cased caddis grub (slow) depending on the way you fish it.
    Long shank hook 12-10
    Tail: short tuft of yellow or fluo yellow wool cut short
    Body: peachock herl 3 strands wound into a rope first
    Body hackle: furnace or ginger wound palmered (up the body)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

TimMac wrote: »
    What about springers IBD?

anything from 1.5 inch copper tubes or bottle tubes down to size 12/14 hairwings, really it totally depends upon water levels and the river/pool in question.

Not a photo of a fly this time, but nonetheless some folks may be interested to see the setup I use.

:)

flytyingbench.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

okedoke wrote: »
    making a determined effort to catch more bass this year so I've been tying up bass flies for the last few days - here's a couple:

Gurglers
    Gurglers.jpg

Clousers
    Clousers.jpg

Surf candy type flies
    BucktailSurfCandies.jpg

Ray's Flies
    RaysFlies.jpg

steve

Very nice! I bet that brown surf candy would do the business around kelp beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Very nice! I bet that brown surf candy would do the business around kelp beds.

cheers, baby pollock was the look I was after

• Advertisement

cheers, baby pollock was the look I was after

Could I make one suggestion - get a bit of hot orange in there as well. Most of the pollock fingerlings I see while diving have rusty coloured bellies. I do one of those with Polar Fibre and copper angel hair - if I can knock up a few would you be on for a swap?

Could I make one suggestion - get a bit of hot orange in there as well. Most of the pollock fingerlings I see while diving have rusty coloured bellies. I do one of those with Polar Fibre and copper angel hair - if I can knock up a few would you be on for a swap?

Yea - sounds good I'll knock up say 4 of these guys with a dash of orange on their belly - swap you for 4 of yours?

Yea - sounds good I'll knock up say 4 of these guys with a dash of orange on their belly - swap you for 4 of yours?

Good deal - I'll pm you my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Starting to fill up my big box slowly!
    utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDIuanBn.jpg

I like the look of those Chernobyl Ants - any success with these in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

jack01986 wrote: »
    Starting to fill up my big box slowly!
    utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDIuanBn.jpg

wow! what's the smallest there? 22? 24? very very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

coolwings wrote: »
    Not a photo of a fly this time, but nonetheless some folks may be interested to see the setup I use.

:)

flytyingbench.jpg

coolwings, i owe u a couple of favours so i've got a proposition for you. I'll take three copies of your ten favourite flies for thirty quid. what do u think? i can collect them from your shop in the next couple of weeks.

what do u think? more trouble then its worth for u? its my birthday in a week so i'm going to treat myself to some flies anyway.

I like the look of those Chernobyl Ants - any success with these in Ireland?

I haven't actually tried them in Ireland yet ive never caught with them but just have them in there just in case.;)
    wow! what's the smallest there? 22? 24? very very impressive.

Thanks for that, smallest in there is 22 its a bit hard on the eyes when tying them to the leader.:D

I haven't actually tried them in Ireland yet ive never caught with them but just have them in there just in case.;)

Is it black foam on both sides or a different colour underneath? Might tie up a few for the craic.

Is it black foam on both sides or a different colour underneath? Might tie up a few for the craic.

Its only foam on the top part underneath is some teased out material to look like legs and part of the body.

Its only foam on the top part underneath is some teased out material to look like legs and part of the body.

cheers jack

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

Buzzer for early season :)

2naoaqd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Cosimo Salvatore

I've been mixing it up recently. Going to try the moth today, also have been using wasps and sometimes bluebottles. Will keep you updated.

gurglers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

photoshop?

Yeah. Windup post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Cosimo Salvatore

My bad, my bad. I wasn't trying to wind anyone up though. Apologies for moving things slightly off topic.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

huge work involved in making that thing, defo not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

How do even think about casting this!!!

orange-dragonfly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

5494384952_60dde025fe_b.jpgMy fly tying bench, retro fitted and old PC table..;)

Very tidy.
    I like your use of light colours for the drawer units. There's nothing worse then a confusing mixed colour background while fly tying, except maybe a wobbly fly vice!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Thanks Coolwings, its NEVER that tidy, i want to add a back drop panel behind the vice for a vison panel though (make it removable) and stick a cutting board on the bench to the left for cutting with a scalpel but after that i'm happy enough...

anyone else got a tying sation they want to show? interesting to see what other folk on here call fly tying home

Already posted somewhere else, but here it is again.
    flytyingbench.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Ah, I see I'm not unique with the sheet of white paper!

• Advertisement

It's absolutely vital! :)

Advertisement