Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread of the day

Options
  • 19-02-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick question, how is thread of the day chosen?

I know how POTD is, (most / quickest thanks) but not TOTD

I mean, how is this TOTD?

Redonkulous
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's randomly chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik it's a random selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

seamus wrote: »
    It's randomly chosen.

I see, what a shame

Yep, I've been long saying that it should actually be the "thread of the day". Dead easy to code - find a thread started yesterday with the highest posts/minute rate and/or the largest amount of aggregate thanks.

The problem though is that an After Hours thread will almost always win out.

Yep, I've been long saying that it should actually be the "thread of the day". Dead easy to code - find a thread started yesterday with the highest posts/minute rate and/or the largest amount of aggregate thanks.

The problem though is that an After Hours thread will almost always win out.

Exclude AH maybe?

• Advertisement

Or you could go a little more complicated and find the top ten threads from distinct forums and then choose one of them at random.

So effectively choose the most popular thread from each forum, then the top ten of them, then one of those at random.

Or you could go a little more complicated and find the top ten threads from distinct forums and then choose one of them at random.

So effectively choose the most popular thread from each forum, then the top ten of them, then one of those at random.

Start writing that code Seamus :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You would probably need to exclude off topic chat threads tho as id expect they would rank very high?

Tallon wrote: »
    Start writing that code Seamus :p
    If I knew what the vbulletin database looked like, I'd do it up in 30 mins. :)
    faceman wrote: »
    You would probably need to exclude off topic chat threads tho as id expect they would rank very high?
    Well, you only choose threads which were started yesterday. You're basically looking for the most popular new threads of the last 24 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Conor gave some good info on how they might change the system here, if anyone has any ideas on how to do it

• Advertisement

Here you go, a little bit of pseudocode. Dunno if it will work or how much it will rape the database. Without knowing the database schema, it's a bit of a shot in the dark.
    SELECT 
    		ranks.forumid,
    		thr.threadid, 
    		thr.threadtitle
    	FROM thread thr
    	JOIN (SELECT 
    				forumid, 
    				MAX(totalviews/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW()) - thread_start)) AS 'thr_rank'
    		FROM 
    			thread 
    		WHERE 
    			thread_start >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    		GROUP BY 
    			forumid) ranks
    			ON ranks.forumid = thr.forumid AND ranks.thr_rank = (thr.totalviews/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW()) - thr.thread_start))
    	WHERE 
    		thr.thread_start >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    	ORDER BY 
    		ranks.thr_rank DESC
    	LIMIT 0, 10

For extra fanciness, you can replace the last line with
    LIMIT <?php echo rand(0, 9) ?>, 1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There is a rating system for threads. Could the highest rated thread in any single 24 hour period not be thread of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

seamus:

Current output of that query:
    +---------+------------+-------------------------------------------------+
    | forumid | threadid   | title                                           |
    |    1076 | 2055833213 | Joe Gough: Who's been?                          | 
    |     994 | 2055833229 | Trying to find a comedians name                 | 
    |    1142 | 2055833225 | Best 3D Package to Learn                        | 
    |     867 | 2055833220 | Possible to get a stereo system with turntable? | 
    4 rows in set (9.19 sec)

Query plan:
    +----+-------------+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+----------+---------+---------------+------+----------------------------------------------+
    | id | select_type | table      | type  | possible_keys                     | key      | key_len | ref           | rows | Extra                                        |
    +----+-------------+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+----------+---------+---------------+------+----------------------------------------------+
    |  1 | PRIMARY     | <derived2> | ALL   | NULL                              | NULL     | NULL    | NULL          |  341 | Using filesort                               | 
    |  1 | PRIMARY     | thr        | ref   | dateline,forumid,forumid_lastpost | forumid  | 2       | ranks.forumid | 1452 | Using where                                  | 
    |  2 | DERIVED     | thread     | range | dateline                          | dateline | 4       | NULL          | 7746 | Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort | 

TBH, I don't think the efficiency's the problem. :)

Quazzie wrote: »
    There is a rating system for threads. Could the highest rated thread in any single 24 hour period not be thread of the day?

Too few people use the system, hence it's trivial to game.

Conor wrote: »
    TBH, I don't think the efficiency's the problem. :)
    Probably the variable time...
    SET @curr_time = NOW();
    SELECT 
    		ranks.forumid,
    		thr.threadid, 
    		thr.threadtitle
    	FROM thread thr,
    		(SELECT 
    				forumid, 
    				MAX(totalviews/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(@curr_time) - thread_start)) AS 'thr_rank'
    		FROM 
    			thread 
    		WHERE 
    			thread_start >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(@curr_time, INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    		GROUP BY 
    			forumid) ranks
    	WHERE 
    		ranks.forumid = thr.forumid 
    		AND ranks.thr_rank = (thr.totalviews/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(@curr_time) - thr.thread_start))
    		AND thr.thread_start >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(@curr_time, INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    	ORDER BY 
    		ranks.thr_rank DESC
    	LIMIT 0, 10

Outside of that, I'm lost without DB access :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Too few people use the system, hence it's trivial to game.
    We should promote and it'll develop into a whole new type of whore. We'll have rates whores aswell as thanks whores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

My own way of measuring this would be as dumb and subjective as PotD.

Find all threads created in the last 24 hours, find all the posts in all of those threads, count the thanks in each of those posts, roll them up into each threadid and take the one with the most thanks.

*shrugs*

I might give it a shot at some point.

Nope, it's not that. Pretty much the same results. :( I think your metric is a little unfairly skewed towards very new threads in low traffic forums.

I don't want to go copying chunks of the schema since that could be a little dubious in relation to the vBulletin license, but the following tables/fields may be useful if you think about experimenting further:

forum.forumid
    forum.replycount
    forum.threadcount

thread.threadid
    thread.title
    thread.forumid
    thread.replycount
    thread.dateline -- UNIX timestamp for start time
    thread.views
    thread.votenum
    thread.votetotal

post.postid
    post.threadid
    post.dateline
    post.post_thanks_amount

Nope, it's not that. Pretty much the same results. :( I think your metric is a little unfairly skewed towards very new threads in low traffic forums.
    That makes sense :)

I'll have a think about it, cheers.

Actually, very quick one, don't even know if it'll work; Cutting out the low view counts...
    SET @curr_time = NOW();
    SELECT 
    		ranks.forumid,
    		thr.threadid, 
    		thr.title
    	FROM thread thr,
    		(SELECT 
    				forumid, 
    				MAX(views/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(@curr_time) - dateline)) AS 'thr_rank'
    		FROM 
    			thread 
    		WHERE 
    			dateline  >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(@curr_time, INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    			AND views > AVG(views)
    		GROUP BY 
    			forumid) ranks
    	WHERE 
    		ranks.forumid = thr.forumid 
    		AND ranks.thr_rank = (thr.views/(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(@curr_time) - thr.dateline ))
    		AND thr.dateline >=  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE(DATE_SUB(@curr_time, INTERVAL 1 DAY)))
    	ORDER BY 
    		ranks.thr_rank DESC
    	LIMIT 0, 10

I'm sure something more statistical could be applied to it.

Advertisement