Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 Build Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Build looks good to me, drop the EVA board and go for the Asus Formula III as the evga board has some cold boot issues and is generally a asshat of a board. Everything else looks really good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cool, cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Don't get that memory, it's rated at 1600MHz at 1.8V only, meaning not with an i7 where the max is 1.65V.

Try something like Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i5 and i7, 1.65V

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Not bad. How much are you up to now? Try go with 6GB of ram.
    I'm doing same thing but would like USB 3 on the motherboard.

What about HDU? There's a 300GB western digital velociRaptor. Smoking fast.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cheers for the memory link. I'll have a look.

It a tad below 1100. That chip only takes dual channel so can't do 6 gb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

fasty wrote: »
    Don't get that memory, it's rated at 1600MHz at 1.8V only, meaning not with an i7 where the max is 1.65V.

Try something like Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i5 and i7, 1.65V

Hah.. It will work fine.. I;m using that ram now, no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Uttik

Try and hold off buying till next month, There is a few new toys coming that will push the price of stuff out now down! So you may save a few euro.

PS:: I hope you are going to get a SSD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Anti wrote: »
    Hah.. It will work fine.. I;m using that ram now, no issues.

What will work fine? The memory I recommended? Sure it will! The memory listed originally will work fine too. At 1066Mhz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MartyMcG

Why go for the i7 860 when you don't save any money on it? I'm looking at getting a nearly identical setup. I thought the main reason people went for it was that you got 920 performance for less. On Komplett at the moment it's more expensive than the 920, €285 vs €262. Formula III is €10 dearer than asus p6T.

I see that the 860 performance is a bit better because of clock speed difference, but if I'm overclocking what difference does it really make?

Thanks

Advertisement