Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing support for tree-planting initiative

Options
  • 19-02-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm hoping this falls under the heritage aspect of this forum. Brianthebard may of course delete if he sees fit. :)

I submitted a civic proposal here on the "Your Country, Your Call" website and would be very grateful for any support or comments you could make in favour of it.

I submitted the idea to John Gormley as well as to the various environmental spokespersons of other parties, but they all ignored it. The proposal has zero hope of winning the competition (that is not why I entered), but the board will officially endorse and recommend all "good proposals" to the government, whether they win or not.

So, as people concerned about our heritage (and the heritage that we leave behind for future generations, too), I'd ask you to take a few moments to read the proposal linked to above, and, if you like it, to vote for it or at least leave a comment.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That belongs in green issues in my view. I don't see how planting trees alongside motorways has anything to do with either history or heritage.

==Background to the Proposal==
    Over the past two years I have seen an amazing opportunity to exploit the thousands of acres of unused land along the verges of almost all of the new inter-urban motorways to plant many millions of native trees.

Each of our interurban motorways could support hundreds of thousands or even millions of trees and shrubs on the abundant redundant land along their edges without compromising traffic safety or signage visibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Indeed it does belong there - but I think it also might belong here. In the same way that the Millennium Forests were created for future generations to enjoy and have become (or will become) part of Ireland's heritage, I thought I'd pitch this along similar lines. The forests I propose will shape the landscape in the same way that hedges, fields and woods do. They become heritage. That might be tenuous... we'll see what the mods say.

Advertisement