Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5

Options
  • 19-02-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me why there is such a price difference between manufacturers and sellers of this card? Is it because some come with dirt2 and some dont or is it something to do with the specs. Are some of the more expensive cards 2nd generation cards.
    Also does anyone know of the best place to get one at a good price? There seems to be a short supply of them because suppliers are trying to sell the HD 5870 me thinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

ATI pretty much have the market right now so they and manufacturers can charge what they want for this card, hence the big discrepencies.

Also remember some graphics cards in general will be more expensive than others because they have better coolers, or come overclocked out of the box, etc.

This site
    http://geizhals.at/eu/
    Has all the European prices including UK, check there for the lowest.. sorry I have forgotten the UK mirror of the site, so its a bit fiddly, but you should be able to see where you can get the lowest prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Jonny7 wrote: »

The english version www.skinflint.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

coolers, quality of construction, transferrable warranties, etc.

ATI, Nividia etc. designs the Chip. Companies like BFG and XFX build the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Asus and Gigabyte are probably the best manufacturers of the HD 5850 due to 3 year warranty etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

And increased voltage liability in the case of the Asus, so overvolting them won't insta-kill your warranty with them so long as you don't go crazy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    And increased voltage liability in the case of the Asus, so overvolting them won't insta-kill your warranty with them so long as you don't go crazy with it.
    yep, and the Asus bios has a higher overclock limit out of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

OK, I'm getting desparate. I did the Oven Trick about 3 or 4 months ago on my HD 2900 XT and it looks like it starting to fail. How come the HD5770 is everywhere and it was released after the HD5850. Is it that there will be a 2nd edition of the HD5850 coming. A PCI Express 2.1 version.

I'm sick of this hold up everytime I go for a graphics card.

Advertisement