Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to work with animals

Options
  • 19-02-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

I'm unemployed, and I need something to do with my time. I adore all animals, and only for I want to keep my options open in terms of moving abroad, I definitely would have pets of my own.

So I'm looking to help out someone with animals that needs help. I thought about dog walking, but dogs can be quite temperamental and I don't have any formal training with dogs so I don't think that'd be such a good idea. I'm posting here because I don't exactly what I could do. I'm in Limerick, and I'd like to volunteer to help in the Limerick animal sanctuary but it's so far away, and I've no way of getting there. So if anyone has any ideas let me know. I could basically be available at any time of day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Transport is usually key when working with animals a lot of places are out of the way like stables or rescues etc. Perhaps contact some of your local vets and see if they take temporary staff.

Fundrasing for LAW might be another option, you are directly helping the animals by raising much needed funds.
    Have you contacted them yet perhaps there's other volunteers that go there regularly that can give you a lift.

Or have you considered fostering some cats/kittens/puppies from LAW could be another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Transport is usually key when working with animals a lot of places are out of the way like stables or rescues etc. Perhaps contact some of your local vets and see if they take temporary staff.

Fundrasing for LAW might be another option, you are directly helping the animals by raising much needed funds.
    Have you contacted them yet perhaps there's other volunteers that go there regularly that can give you a lift.

Or have you considered fostering some cats/kittens/puppies from LAW could be another option.

I would love to foster dogs or cats, but my apartment building doesn't allow pets. In order to work in a vets even casually you'd probably officially need a qualification at least. And I would like to maybe volunteer for the animal sanctuary but I really wouldn't trust getting a lift with someone I don't know.

Closest I can get to animals is feeding the birds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

There are fetac courses for small animal care. I don't know if there are in Limerick but I would guess there are. They last a year and are pretty cheap after that you might be able to get a job in a groomers or maybe in a vet.

Advertisement