Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colonic Irrigation

• 19-02-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I am thinking of doing a course (3 sessions) of colonic irrigation next week. Has anybody tried this, got an opinion, suggestions where is the best place to get it done etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

May I ask what the benfits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭I_choose_life

May I ask what the benfits?

Have been feeling very run down this week and thought this may help as a kind of "spring clean".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

If I were you I would research it a lot more than just thinking it might be a 'spring clean' before getting it done. It's debatable if it has any benefits at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I think a cleansing body detox would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Have been feeling very run down this week and thought this may help as a kind of "spring clean".

Then a colonic seems kind of drastic. Maybe you need to make changes to your diet?

If you're constipated constantly after diet changes then you should try it I think but, if you're just feeling run down then as I said, make diet changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

colon is like the inside of your mouth. Gunge cannot 'build up' as proclaimed by the colonic people.

All they do is shove a hose in and force out excrement.

good hot runny curry would do the same job!!

As said earlier, do some research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Its complete hogwash tbh. You should read "bad science". Pretty much calls the bluff on all the detox mumbo jumbo and dr. Gillian McKeith.

If your feeling tired and stressed, book a massage, get some sleep and drink lots of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Wouldn't bother, read a few articles in magazines lately saying all this detox "business" has no tangible health benefits whatsover;if you feel run down a healthy, balanced diet and exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes would do you far more good than what sounds like an unnecessary invasive procedure...*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Agreed, there's no need to get colonic irrigation and as for detoxes...they don't work and there's no need - the liver is the best detox instrument there is!

Go for a massage, get some supplements and give up junk food/sweets for a while and you'll feel loads better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

seriously these are rubbish, two big tablespoons of duphalac or milk of magnesia would do the same job.:eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Best thing to help you would be a diet change.

Not my idea of a Spring Clean now myself! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Up your intake of fibre, you'll soon clear out your bowel and colon and there should be no need for a colonic irrigation.

Cut out junk and all other crap, eat good wholegrain foods, drink plenty of water and you'll soon notice a difference. A whole lot cheaper too than paying for a colonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Far from having any tangible benefit, it clears your colon of friendly bacteria too, which is outright dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

drink more water, cut out the crap food (if you eat any), go for a few runs or alternative exercise that makes you sweat a bit.

Do that for about two / three weeks (however long it takes to make it a habit).

VS.

shoving a pipe up your delicate bits and pumping a load of water into it/them[delete as appropriate]

Handing over a ton of money

Running the risk of perforating your intestines = pretty much instant, painful death.

Going to someone who doesn't need to be a licensed practitioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Its complete hogwash tbh. You should read "bad science". Pretty much calls the bluff on all the detox mumbo jumbo and dr. Gillian McKeith.

If your feeling tired and stressed, book a massage, get some sleep and drink lots of water

oh my God - everyone in the country should be prescribed a massage once a year - it's vital to your health........OP, have a massage instead, they're worth the cost.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dreamysleepy

Tried it recently and I must warn people against it as there are no real benefits, it is a horrible procedure carried out by a therapist with no medical experience. It's uncomfortable and will not improve underlying conditions. If you want to be left with exacerbated piles and diarrhoea go ahead, but I strongly urge people not to do undergo this procedure. I think it's become a fad, it's pseudo-science performed by the under-trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Brightest Star

I was considering getting colonic irrigation done at the Hydro Clinic in Dublin (a friend recommended it to me for symptoms of IBS and psoriasis.) I did a quick search to see if I could find any info, and came across this thread. Wow! It's totally put me off. I've made a lot of healthy changes to my diet recently already, and cut out caffeine, alcohol, white bread etc, while increasing fruit and veg intake, so I think I'll continue with that for now instead of trying the colonic irrigation.

Just wondering, though, if anyone has had any positive experiences with this treatment? Or would you agree with the above advice - i.e. Avoid it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭quxuik

Hi guys...I am really surprised with all these negative opinions about colonic..I have been practicing colonic irrigation on myself for the last 7 years and i have no bad experiences nor opinions..its not painful or uncomfortable at all...thanks this my skin improved dramatically over the last few years of doing colonic, i had no health issues;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

quxuik wrote: »
    Hi guys...I am really surprised with all these negative opinions about colonic..I have been practicing colonic irrigation on myself for the last 7 years and i have no bad experiences nor opinions..its not painful or uncomfortable at all...thanks this my skin improved dramatically over the last few years of doing colonic, i had no health issues;)

What benefits do you claim this procedure has? What qualifies you to perform it?

Can you post links to impartial evidence that shows it has any beneficial effect on any condition?

Also can you address the valid claims that it is in fact a dangerous and detrimental procedure as described in the study quoted in the article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2011/08/Detox-danger-Trendy-colon-cleansing-a-risky-ritual-/49753954/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

quxuik wrote: »

I've been wearing a Wolf Moon (they're amazing. Look them up) shirt for the last 7 years and my skin has improved dramatically since then.

How are you making the causal link between squirting water up your bum and subsequently having good skin? Is it as flimsy a connection as the one that I made between shirts and good skin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

OP, if you want to give your body a "spring clean", then spend even as little as a few days eating just veggies and lean meat/fish and drinking loads of water. Something I used to do occasionally, great for feeling better in your skin and taking down any bloating etc. Much better for you.
    Putting pure fuel in your car is gonna be much better for it than just cleaning the exhaust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This thread is from 2 years ago. Please don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement