Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It Might Get Loud

Options
  • 19-02-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Saw this documentary for the first time last night, loved how easy it seemed for 3 of of musics most influential musician to just sit down together and have the chats. have to say, i have a new found respect for the edge. Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Saw this documentary for the first time last night, loved how easy it seemed for 3 of of musics most influential musician to just sit down together and have the chats. have to say, i have a new found respect for the edge. Anyone else seen this?

Yeah, saw it myself a couple of weeks ago. Thought that it was a real interesting film, but i wouldn't agree with you about the edge. Just that he seems to rely to much on effects for my liking. Also, I found his back story to be kind of depressing (the stuff about car bombs and the recession) compared to Jimmy's and Jack's stories.

But saying that, he did bring a bit of balence to the film in the way that he represented a different style to Jack and Jimmy which made for an interesting comparision, the old minimaist blues style against the technology driven style of guitar playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭dasdog

I saw this post earlier so I downloaded it and it is an interesting movie. I don't particulaly like U2 but I've always respected Edge...not the most skilled but he can make good noises. I didn't think it had enough Jimmy Page but maybe thats because he slowed down years ago. I don't think I have any of Jack White's music but he's honest anyway. I posted a link to a song of Rev Gary Davis (Blind Gary Davis in the movie about 30 mins in) on the blues/jazz forum a couple of weeks ago which is the Son House kind of stuff he was saying is what shook him. A three generational apsect to it, good stuff. Time to plug the guitar in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

dasdog wrote: »
    I saw this post earlier so I downloaded it and it is an interesting movie. I don't particulaly like U2 but I've always respected Edge...not the most skilled but he can make good noises. I didn't think it had enough Jimmy Page but maybe thats because he slowed down years ago. I don't think I have any of Jack White's music but he's honest anyway. I posted a link to a song of Rev Gary Davis (Blind Gary Davis in the movie about 30 mins in) on the blues/jazz forum a couple of weeks ago which is the Son House kind of stuff he was saying is what shook him. A three generational apsect to it, good stuff. Time to plug the guitar in I think.

completely got itchy fingers when watching, had guitar in hand by the end of the movie and on adverts looking for a decent acoustic!Agree with you about edge's ability to play, I think he needs to be seen as a composer rather than a guitar player. I couldn't be arsed with U2 tbh (If is was slightly older I think i could have appreciated their older stuff more when it came out), but its so easy to be self indulgent and show people how well you play rather than composing a sound that goes well with the style and personality of a song - he does that well.I loved Jack Whites honesty and how he revealed his influenes being used so heavily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Enjoyed the film though did find it a bit cringey at times (specifically when they were playing guitars together). Jack White came across to me as the most interesting of the three. Somehow making cool sounds on a beat-up old cheap guitar seemed a lot more fun and a lot more inspiring to me than Edge's huge bank of effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I have it on download and looking forward to seeing it too. Love Pages style although he did loose his aura after his drug intake in the late seventies

• Advertisement
Advertisement