Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Heavy Snow this evening especially in eastern/southern areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had lovely big flakes there a while ago, seems to have died down a little now.
    Will there be more precip on the way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snow on the ground here, but has not snowed in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The flakes are crazy

there so big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Heavy snow in Dublin 13 for the last 20mins, how exciting! Flakes are quite huge and theirs about 1 or 2 cm of it, sticking everywhere now..!! Lets hope it sticksuntil tomorrow morning....!! :):D:D:D

pleasently surprised, i thought you were all mad talking about snow..!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

It's sticking here..heavy enough..not as heavy as others are reporting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I wish i could see these flakes :pac: sleety sleet here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Here we go again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rain has now turned to heavy snow. Not the big flakes you're describing in the east but it's so heavy that it's sticking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Anyone know why the 18Z NAE isn't out yet? It's usually out shortly after the GFS...

Anyway, I concede that snow is now falling at sea level - just about - and not only above 50m as i said earlier today, so I shall bow my head in shame and you can all pelt me with snowballs!! :D

But it was a close thing eh, I mean the size of the flakes is an indication of how close it was! (he tries some damage limitation..... :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Heavy snow ongoing here in swords, heaviest ive seen in years, huge flakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Getting some decent snowfall in Ratoath/Dunshaughlin area at the moment as been coming down for approx 25 - 30 mins and sticking.

We've probably got about 2cms on the ground now and the cars are completely covered.

Just looking at the Met Eireann radar and it looks like we could have some reasonable snow overnight!

Great to see some decent snow back again!! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stopped here. 0.8c atm. Everything white but dripping and sloppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

your all a 'shower' of whimps :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

stopping here now too but just as it does we've lost our satellite signal and its up on the roof.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Can't believe the amount of snow, more here now than anytime during the 'big freeze'!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Can't believe the amount of snow, more here now than anytime during the 'big freeze'!

same here the 'big freeze' was a huge letdown in the snow department. 2/3 inchs here altho i think thats it for the night, snizzle here now, looks like its clearing out to sea according to the radar with nothing to come behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Snowing heavy. The boggeraghs are white boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thick fog in Castlebar,-2.went out to the car ,didnt appear to be frozen but when i got closer it was frozen solid.most flights in/out of knock were cancelled/diverted today as aresult of fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Stopped now in Tallaght and spitting a little sleety stuff! Was that it????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

massive flakes here near Duleek (East Meath) the one time I really didn't want snow. Typical :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks as though it is on the verge of stopping here now though it is still snowing. Nice covering. Won't last long tomorrow though once the sun hits it.

Savage snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

cold crisp and dry here on a hill above wicklow town,not a whisper of the white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Much later this afternoon & into tonight is certainly looking good for quite a few areas. Several areas, particularly those located inland & at a height of approximately 50M and higher, could expect a covering of perhaps 1 - 4 CM, with higher accumulations occuring locally.

The 06Z NAE Guidance was relatively constant on this risk, with the main snow risk spreading in from the Atlantic Seaboard by approximately 04.00PM & transferring steadily Eastwards. The snow risk should have become centred over the Eastern two thirds of the country by 00.00 Hours tonight & into the early part of Sunday as it continues to make gradual Eastward progress.

10022100_2006.gif

While the above has the potential to deliver a few CM of snow in several areas tonight with even more over high ground & locally, the period from Tuesday through to Wednesday needs very close attention. To show the potential, the 00Z ECMWF Operational output indicated the potential for total snowfall accumulations of 35CM or greater across Eastern areas of the country during the period between Tuesday & Wednesday. In fact, if the ECMWF 00Z Guidance (which is still at T+72) were to verify, crippling snowfalls would develop over mountainous areas of the East in particular, but with a definite snow risk across the majority of the country.

100220_0000_84.png

The track of the area of LP is very uncertain but the 00Z ECMWF Guidance offers the optimum outcome & would really send winter out with a blast, especially as for the majority of areas, the flow would have backed enough to a point North of East to ensure a flow off the land. Interestingly, the 850mb temperature profile also indicates support for widespread snowfall to develop.

100220_0000_90.png

Again, it must be stressed that this is quite a distance out yet at T+72 Hours, but with general agreement from UKMO GM & GFS Operational, the risk of a serious snowfall event is increasing for the general midweek period, especially for those areas located at height & inland from the immediate East coast. The risk at the moment currently stands at about 30% - 40%.

Regarding the Met Eireann outlook, it was based on the previous 12Z ECMWF Guidance from yesterday & therefore is slightly behind in that respect - possibly why it doesn't mention the risk of more organised precipitation developing later on Tuesday through to Wednesday.

Several areas, especially at height, should see at least a covering of snow tonight, provided that the main trough crosses the country as modelled on NWP Guidance. Already at 13.30, precipitation is beginning to develop and come onshore in Western districts.

WEB_radar_201002201300.gif

SA :)

He really is the man when it comes to snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

no hope for snow for me tonight:mad: , i'm off to bed! only the iftas sh!te on telly anyway, and no snow, no reason to stay up . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

There was a bit of a fall here. (Cork)

Ground is covered but nothing major, just a light sheet.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Gonzo wrote: »
    same here the 'big freeze' was a huge letdown in the snow department. 2/3 inchs here altho i think thats it for the night, snizzle here now, looks like its clearing out to sea according to the radar with nothing to come behind it.

Still falling heavily here, massive flakes too!

Still coming down here, big bumping covering!

Somewhere around Louth/Meath southeastern Ni is going to have snow for a while from the wrap around i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Eased off very quick here in swords, now smaller flakes falling, still fallng but less and smaller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

P1020007.jpg
    P1020007.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement