Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Heavy Snow this evening especially in eastern/southern areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Snow stopped aroung D15. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snow easing here now to snizzle.

Decent 1hr fall accumulation though.

Shame i couldnt be the location for the wrap around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Evening all! It's absolutely chucking it down in Donabate. What a nice surprise!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

And..........stopped. I give the accumulations till 10am before oblivion (unless it freezes hard, which may happen)

Oh wait - it's started again.

Now it's stopped...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Snow around Swords.

105761.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I tell you what, northern and central Wales and England are in for a dumping tonight and early tomorrow as the system only really gets going as it reaches the Welsh uplands. 500hPa vertical velocities (how fast the air is rising inside the system) go from around 20hPa/hr (5cm/sec) here this evening to over 50hPa/hr (13cm/sec) by 3am. Airports such as Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands could be disrupted....

10022103_2018.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's like somebody put a pillow through a woodchipper :D. Would love it if it stuck. Ah, it's like a fairytale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just threw a few snowballs out from the attic to annoy the neighbours.lol stopped snowing now Glasnevin area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Band pushing back into Louth, Meath and trailing. Somebody is going to get a good total around that area and of course Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

briany wrote: »
    It's like somebody put a pillow through a woodchipper :D. Would love it if it stuck. Ah, it's like a fairytale :)

it brightings up the place alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Easing off now, much smaller flakes and a lot lighter too. Nice though, more than I've seen in a long time in my own garden.

Anything more likely over night or is that our lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well congrats to all my Dublin foes!
    It looks like Cork is in the final against Waterford for snowless capital of the world:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another one to 2 hours of the snow would have made it a proper epic event. shame its all over now. Be interesting to see how long it lasts in the morning once the sun gets going. Im delighted with what I got tho, and amazing how 3 weeks of hte big freeze brought such pethetic snow falls in our region, this evenings snow was a nice 'event'.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

That it for the Dublin area then?

Any chance of waking to another nice covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Snowing quite heavy here in Rush at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

We're onto the smaller flakes in Donabate now. Here's a shot of what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Band pushing back into Louth, Meath and trailing. Somebody is going to get a good total around that area and of course Wales.

Guess where somebody happens NOT to be this evening...:mad: This weekend I stay away from home. Which is 150m asl in south Louth. I have however mentioned it to the folks at home and pictures of what I miss are to be taken:P

I'm in Swords instead however and heavy snow finally broke out here at 10.25 or a bit before it. I've taken a few pics of that, the snow rate was astonishing and I've only seen it fall that heavy once before, though this evening's peak burst was brief.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, though the LP centre has progressed even further north than I expected it to. I wonder if Dublin airport's TAFs are still forecasting sleet/snow at PROB30:P

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just a light dusting here in South Co. Monaghan. Its stopped now:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

adox wrote: »
    Snowing quite heavy here in Rush at the moment.

Pelting down in lusk - flakes about 2 inches wide - pics tomorrow

Guess where somebody happens NOT to be this evening...:mad: This weekend I stay away from home. Which is 150m asl in south Louth. I have however mentioned it to the folks at home and pictures of what I miss are to be taken:P

I'm in Swords instead however and heavy snow finally broke out here at 10.25 or a bit before it. I've taken a few pics of that, the snow rate was astonishing and I've only seen it fall that heavy once before, though this evening's peak burst was brief.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, though the LP centre has progressed even further north than I expected it to. I wonder if Dublin airport's TAFs are still forecasting sleet/snow at PROB30:P

They are indeed....though this forecast is valid from midnight, by which time it'll have passed.

EIDW 202300Z 2100/2124 16004KT 9999 SCT008 PROB30 TEMPO 2100/2101 5000 -SHRASN -SHSN BKN005 SCT017CB BECMG 2102/2104 21003KT 0400 FZFG BKN001 BECMG 2111/2113 9999 SCT020 PROB30 TEMPO 2120/2124 0500 FG BKN001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Snowing (and sticking) nicely here in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's amazing how snow just has this power to captivate us. It's easing off here now in Loughshinny though ,but still coming down in very fine flakes at the time of writing. It says on the met office page that its around zero degrees in Dublin so maybe it will stick until morning? Maybe another shower will start in the wee hours to bolster the already quite heavy fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

never doubted any of the lads predictions for this snow event(yeah rite),well done lads,never seen flakes dat size,wow,lovely covering here,sadly stopped,problem now is if it freezes over,roads b bad,roll on tues/weds event(fingers x):D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Looks like we have a victim of the snow at Dublin. The Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt is diverting to I think Manchester, after circling around a bit over Navan. This is a screenshot from Radarvirtuel as it descends in towards Liverpool.

105765.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Holy sh*t. I'm sitting beside my back door/window and hadn't noticed the garden covered in snow until I saw this thread. Oops.

I'm in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

As the newly nominated thread correspondent I bring bad tidings :(

The dreaded "drip drip" has set in here already, snow stopped about an hour and a half ago and thawing already

The news might be better to take if I was on video with a mental hat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

After a light fall of snow here in North West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

maybe they were just taking in the boyne valley drive, quick look at TARA etc

little bit of snow here on the ground, nothing much.... glad to see that some of you did alot better than i did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

briany wrote: »
    It's amazing how snow just has this power to captivate us. It's easing off here now in Loughshinny though ,but still coming down in very fine flakes at the time of writing. It says on the met office page that its around zero degrees in Dublin so maybe it will stick until morning? Maybe another shower will start in the wee hours to bolster the already quite heavy fall.

LOL ! Are you using 'quite heavy fall' in the context of Dublin :eek::confused: Shows what snow starvation can do :pac:

We got snow, but nothing to get excited about. A dusting of wet snow here. Quite heavy to me in the context of snow fall is 6 inches or more. Or a few feet, as experienced in 1982 :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement