Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Heavy Snow this evening especially in eastern/southern areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

how this lad is still allowed on this forum is beyond me!

Eh what's the ****s your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Eh what's the ****s your problem?

I think the lack of being able to find Ballytempleroche is the problem man

where is it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest HIRLAM shows how dispersed and intermittent the precip will be tomorrow

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Click on nedbor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

darkman2 wrote: »
    18z GFS is showing a good 6 hours or so of snowfall in the Dublin region alone tomorrow night. It looks as though it's the Wicklow mountains northwards in the firing line at low ground.

Further south it get's more marginal with a rain, sleet, snow mix in the southeast. This due to the slightly milder sector there. Also potentially some wrap around on the East coast prolonging snowfall.
    not discrediting the charts or indeed ur good self darkman,as i no nothing bout reading them but the way tings keep going lately il belive it wen i c it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i have a feeling the charts in the days to come will show lps tracking further north than what's currently being suggested. although, whatever happens it would be a surprise if some areas don't see a heavy fall of snow at some point over the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

delw wrote: »
    not discrediting the charts or indeed ur good self darkman,as i no nothing bout reading them but the way tings keep going lately il belive it wen i c it

These are the simplest charts you could possibly read. The white lines indicate snow.

10pm tomorrow

27-574.GIF?19-18

1am Sunday

30-574.GIF?19-18

4am Sunday

33-574.GIF?19-18

7am Sunday

36-574.GIF?19-18

Because this will be likely showery in nature some will get more then others but most will probrably see some snow tomorrow night.

Darkman like the rest of us is reading what the charts are saying. We say what they are showing in lay man's language. I know some of the lads here have an indepth knowledge of meteorology and can read more into charts that others but Darkman is spot on in his reading of the charts for tomorrow.

This section of Boards is about opinions and I salute everyone who takes the time to share their thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I don't think I am. I think most threads and posts I make are fairly accurate. Sometimes things don't turn out as planned. But that is the nature of a science where the chaos theory takes over after 0hrs. I think the forecasts from everyone here are very good indeed - I don't recall any widely inaccurate forecasts tbh. I mean I started the snow potential thread last Friday IIRC with "after midweek" being of particular interest and that seems to be the case. I think the forum is very good and was extremely useful to boardsies during the floods last summer and the freeze in January...and entertaining aswell. We are not mystic megs...

Fair play to you darkman, you put in the time and effort to post what you see on the models. Easy for these DAMPNERS to knock especailly when 3 weeks ago they couldn't even tell from a UK Met fax chart if it was showing cold or mild weather. Forecasting will always be inaccurate by its nature as it's name implies.

a UK Met fax chart

speaking of which here is tomorrow's
    http://cirrus.netweather.tv/fax/PPVE89.png

Night all. Hope you see snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im gonna guess that something will go wrong again each time this week that Meath will escape most if not all the snow again over the coming week. I think only County Waterford has beaten us so far this winter in the lack of snow!

Yeah I am down in Meath tomorrow night (Navan) and I have a feeling there will be no snow down there while Dublin will get some :mad:

Meath seems to have some sort of snow shield up at the moment (for a county that got some decent snowfalls in winters past)

Derek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

looks like another snowfest is comming

Snow-Clad-Trees-thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

North west Kilkenny had a snow shower around 5pm, the hills over there looked white after it, here on the north east of the county we got a snow shower around 7:30pm give or take, whitened the place.

Don't want snow but we have to take what we are given. That said the period where one can see snow goes into May, so potentially a long way to go yet......yes I have seen snow fall in early May here in north Kilkenny.

I don't have to wonder what dew points are going to be here tomorrow, we will have snow, snow is falling with ease at the moment when any precipitation comes by, hope we get no more tonight and I get to the shops tomorrow before it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Min wrote: »
    North west Kilkenny had a snow shower around 5pm, the hills over there looked white after it, here on the north east of the county we got a snow shower around 7:30pm give or take, whitened the place.

Don't want snow but we have to take what we are given. That said the period where one can see snow goes into May, so potentially a long way to go yet......yes I have seen snow fall in early May here in north Kilkenny.

I don't have to wonder what dew points are going to be here tomorrow, we will have snow, snow is falling with ease at the moment when any precipitation comes by, hope we get no more tonight and I get to the shops tomorrow before it arrives.

I remember getting a snow shower in early June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Su Campu wrote: »
    I remember getting a snow shower in early June!

lol that was bad....and June sounds so nice....looking forward to some heat then....

The new improved freeze is back after a break for a month. There is no mild weather for the forseeable future. Numerous potential snow events in the next 7 days. Severe frost and Ice at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

These are the simplest charts you could possibly read. The white lines indicate snow.

10pm tomorrow

27-574.GIF?19-18

1am Sunday

30-574.GIF?19-18

4am Sunday

33-574.GIF?19-18

7am Sunday

36-574.GIF?19-18

Because this will be likely showery in nature some will get more then others but most will probrably see some snow tomorrow night.
    cheers darkman,hope i dnt offend u or any of d lads wit comments,i understand uz can only post on wat u c,dats wat dis rollercoaster does to people(or me):o

cheers darkman,hope i dnt offend u or any of d lads wit comments,i understand uz can only post on wat u c,dats wat dis rollercoaster does to people(or me):o

Not at all. Please do offend us when we are wrong and you are disappointed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Did you really have to repost all the pictures, I hate o2 broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nice looking shower on the way some time soon here judging by raintoday. Hasnt snowed since about 6pm but its all frozen now quite thick in places so anything on top of it will give a really good covering by morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    The latest TAFs for midnight to midnight are nothing to get excited about at all....

DUBLIN
    EIDW 192300Z 2000/2024 26007KT 9999 FEW020 SCT035 PROB30 TEMPO 2004/2010 0400 FZFG BKN001 BECMG 2015/2018 20006KT PROB30 TEMPO 2020/2024 5000 -SHRASN -SHSN BKN010
    SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING FOG FROM 4AM TO 10AM. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SLEET AND SNOW SHOWERS FROM 8PM. WIND WESTERLY 7 KNOTS

SHANNON
    EINN 192300Z 2000/2024 28005KT 9999 SCT020 BECMG 2002/2005 23005KT PROB30 TEMPO 2004/2009 VRB03KT 0500 FZFG BKN001 TEMPO 2010/2019 SCT018CB PROB40 TEMPO 2012/2019 5000 -SHRASN -SHRAGS BKN010 BKN018CB BECMG 2012/2015 19007KT BECMG 2019/2022 24005KT
    SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING FOG FROM 4AM TO 9AM. MEDIUM CHANCE OF LIGHT SLEET AND GRAUPEL SHOWERS FROM MIDDAY TO 7PM. WIND WESTERLY 5 KNOTS

CORK
    EICK 192300Z 2000/2024 29006KT 9999 FEW018 SCT035 TEMPO 2004/2010 VRB03KT PROB30 TEMPO 2004/2010 0400 FG BKN001 BECMG 2009/2012 25010KT BECMG 2012/2015 20012KT TEMPO 2014/2019 5000 -SHRASN BKN006 BKN015CB BECMG 2019/2022 25010KT
    SLIGHT CHANCE OF FOG FROM 4AM TO 10AM. LIGHT SLEET SHOWERS FROM 2PM TO 7PM. WIND WESTERLY 6-10 KNOTS

KNOCK
    EIKN 192300Z 2000/2024 VRB03KT 9999 FEW018 SCT030 PROB40 TEMP0 2003/2010 0400 FZFG BKN001 BECMG 2010/2013 19006KT TEMPO 2012/2019 SCT010 SCT016CB PROB40 TEMPO 2012/2018 0500 -SHSN BKN002 BECMG 2019/2022 VRB03KT
    MEDIUM CHANCE OF FOG FROM 3AM TO 10AM. MEDIUM CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS FROM MIDDAY TO 6PM. WIND VARIABLE 3 KNOTS.

BELFAST ALDERGROVE
    EGAA 192302Z 2000/2024 23004KT 9999 FEW010 SCT020 PROB40 2002/2010 0300 FZFG BKN000 PROB30 TEMPO 2010/2012 BKN005
    MEDIUM CHANCE OF FREEZING FOG FROM 2AM TO 10AM. WIND SOUTHWESTERLY 4 KNOTS

As much as i totally respect and hightlight your input i do believe you have an unnecessarily negative attitude towards sneactha.

We all know TAF forecasts are cack, and to be honest i would expect someone as experienced as you to know this.

Lets be honest.. we know if not know more than the guys in the Met, we access virtually the same info barring the HIRLAM predictions, otherwise we virtually own the same data! ooooooooops......springs a business venture......! But really believe in yourself mate.. Obv negativity may override the snow malarky and i may slightly overdo it but i would say that the Met and possibly you???? only every expect snow when its virtually falling.. The Met refuses to forecast snow, even at 72/96hrs again they refuesed to mention any snow in the forecast, like other times during this winter.

To be honest its embarassing. They are a Weather service afraid to predict snow! hahah:D:D

........... The whole prob30 thing is a pisstake, i reckon prob30 = prob 70... they are quite simply an embarassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ukprec.png

ukprec.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

10022021_2000.gif

10022100_2000.gif

10022100_2000.gif

10022100_2000.gif

I'll bank them,i think im getting a little bit carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

As much as i totally respect and hightlight your input i do believe you have an unnecessarily negative attitude towards sneactha.

We all know TAF forecasts are cack, and to be honest i would expect someone as experienced as you to know this.

Lets be honest.. we know if not know more than the guys in the Met, we access virtually the same info barring the HIRLAM predictions, otherwise we virtually own the same data! ooooooooops......springs a business venture......! But really believe in yourself mate.. Obv negativity may override the snow malarky and i may slightly overdo it but i would say that the Met and possibly you???? only every expect snow when its virtually falling.. The Met refuses to forecast snow, even at 72/96hrs again they refuesed to mention any snow in the forecast, like other times during this winter.

To be honest its embarassing. They are a Weather service afraid to predict snow! hahah:D:D

........... The whole prob30 thing is a pisstake, i reckon prob30 = prob 70... they are quite simply an embarassment.

I feel a bad hangover coming on...:D

Latest GFS run - slightly further south

24-574.GIF?20-0

00z UKMO

UW24-594.GIF?20-05

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I feel a bad hangover coming on...:D

You can't beat the drunk post alrite !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Latest GFS run - slightly further south

[

00z UKMO

is that good r bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

You can't beat the drunk post alrite !

Homer Simpson: Beer Quotes
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.

homer_beer.jpg

“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.” – Homer Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Coldest morning we've had here for ages in Mayo. -5.2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

-1.5 in galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Snow will develop gradually today, the feature to watch is a slowly forming wave evident on satellite imagery to the west of Galway. This should drift east-south-east through central then southeast Ireland later today and overnight. If this feature gains organization and strength later today, it should be able to produce streaks of 3-8 cm snowfall amounts in that general track. It may be hit or miss because the activity will be more convective than frontal.

Monday night through Tuesday is now looking very good for snowfall on the ECM model, everyone else has a different outcome, the UKMO is second best with the event delayed more to Tuesday night (but more marginal for snow/sleet/rain).

If the ECM wins this battle of the models, some could be dealing with 10 cms or more by Tuesday. Southeast and central counties would be most in line, Dublin certainly not out of the firing line for it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

-3.2/-4

hard frost and foggy,but no snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement