Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

personal locator beacon

• 19-02-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

im starting some spear fishing to get ready for the season but im going alone and my other half is on my back incase i go missing so im looking to get hold of a underwater plb (personal locator beacon) gps but there kinda expensive so instead im going to use a gps personal tracking device in a waterproof 0tterbox so im wondering has any1 had any experence with these sort of things what would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

I carry a Sea Marshall PLB, 121.5mtz.

Plenty air traffic around our coasts to pick up the signal. Have checked into the 405 GPS Fastfinder only to be told by the Commission for Communication Regulation that there is no way of registering one yet in Ireland. Typical.

One has to register the model before using it.

So my PLB will have to do for now.

You're in greater danger from Shallow Water Blackout than from a lack of a GPS unit.

Go easy on them thar fish

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

i heard that the sea marshal signal is been phased out .do you think i could use an ordinary personal tracker in a waterproof box?i know it wouldn't be received by planes and boats but you can track it live on google maps and im only goin to be on the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

damagegt like seaduce says as long as you understand they will be on a search and recovery operation and not search and rescue.
    Seriously.This is what happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe81lUbPNg&feature=related but if theres no one there to rescue you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

i know it will .iv been spearfishing with seven years and its just for her piece of mind so she knows where i am.im well aware of shallow water backout.

Advertisement