Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To nest or not to nest...

Options
  • 19-02-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hi all, this is our first year with a garden in Ireland. And being very enthusiastic with all the birds that come to our feeders we have been thinking about buying 1 or 2 nest boxes.

What mainly stops us is the fear to find one day that things didn't work out as expected. I understand nothing can control nature and many times things go wrong, but we would we would rather not be there to witness it.

The above may sound silly, but has any first timer had similar thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Well, I'm a 'first timer' this year but the answer is .... no :)

Of course the nest might fail but the way I look at it the birds will only nest there if it is the best site they find. If they nest in your box it is because you have given them the best chance of success they could find.

By paying attention to the site of the nest box you will minimise the chances of nest failure.
    • Very important: no access for cats and out of the way of nuisance people.
    • Between 1.5 and 5 metres above the ground.
    • Entrance pointing between North and South East to avoid prevailing winds and overheating in the sun.
    • No little perch below the entrance.
    • Away from bird tables/feeders to avoid them having to defend the territory from visitors all the time.
    • Ideally with a good flight path to/from the nest.
    • If there is possible nesting, don't open the nest box to take a look. Just enjoy from a distance.
    • Clean the box out at the beginning winter - not in the middle of summer as some birds will try to raise two or even three families

The sooner you put the nest box up the better the chances of birds moving in. They will already have started to check out possible sites.

There are other ways of helping local breeding birds: plant native trees and shrubs, leave wild patches in the garden if you have one, put out some water/a bird bath.

But I'd like the chance of seeing one or two chicks take their first flight into the big bad world from a box on my wall...boxes are up...over to the local birds now.

After the winter they are after having, good luck to them wherever they nest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Just keep an eye on the bird boxes and make sure it's only birds that build nests in them. We had a bird box once and wasps decided to build a nest in it. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Thank you both for the advise - I do have a little garden and will have to check carefully where to put it up if we decide to do so. Will keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

How far away from birdfeeders? Feeder in question is freestanding and can be moved.

I have a site in mind for a birdbox that is not too secluded and has a good flight path. It would be facing roughly North, the garden is East facing and gets the sunlight in the morning and most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

How far away from birdfeeders? Feeder in question is freestanding and can be moved.

I think it was mentioned on some birdwatch ireland advice. I didn't see explicit distance mentioned but got the impression that out of sight at least is preferable. E.g. in suburbia with a front and back garden would be preferable to have nest box in one and feeder in the other.

I can't really do this myself just now so if any interest in the box I too will have to reevalute if / where I put out food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thanks jmd

I saw two birds today checking out nesting sites and there are two crows gathering sticks in a very tall mature tree in the garden behind. Hopefully the feeder won't be putting them off.

Advertisement