Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 19-02-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

This is somewhat trivial. Any chance od some new avatars being uploaded for use?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Despite having the option of a custom one I'd like to add my support. They really do need to be updated and I dont imagine it would be "too" difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I will be looking into membership once I can afford it but it's slightly annoying to see another Cookie Monster :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Voltwad wrote: »
    I will be looking into membership once I can afford it but it's slightly annoying to see another Cookie Monster :(

sorry :o

id like a penguin one....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, it'd be nice to see some new avatars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I think some new avatars would be good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I hear James Cameron is all for it.

Me too.

Lets get some Na'vis in for sure :) I'll have a Sigourney Weaver with cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Some new south park ones would be nice.:)

Family Guy ones would be class as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Yeeesssss some new avatars please! They're all ancient!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would gladly put together an 8-bit Nintendo Compilation.... Heavy with Megaman bosses.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would gladly put together an 8-bit Nintendo Compilation.... Heavy with Megaman bosses.
    Lots of Zelda/Link/Gorons/Ganondorfs!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you subscribe for a month (€5) you can change your avatar to anything you like and after the month is up it will stay (afaik). I'll check that with the tech lads tomorrow.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My recurring annual sub expired (didn't have the money soz) and my avatar left the building. I got the impression then that custom avatars were only for current subscribers.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll ask tomorrow what the suss is but its a perk of subscribing so I dont think we want to take that away from subscribers, if anything we'd like to give them more for their support.

DeV.

Yeah but we get the big 90x90 Avatars, regular folk get the 32x32s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's cool. I'm just mentioning that when my sub expired my avatar went with it. But now that I'm €600/month up from not smoking anymore I'm gonna re-sub for the year and get kick-ass avatar back.

And that kick-ass avatar will kick your Nintendo 8-bit avatar's ass! :pac:

Macros42 wrote: »
    But now that I'm €600/month up from not smoking anymore

??? What were you, a professional chimney?? :D
    Some of us spend that much on rent! :)

New avatars please, being a Pink Power Ranger is exciting and all but there's been new video games/TV shows/movies in the past 5 years :)

It's cool. I'm just mentioning that when my sub expired my avatar went with it. But now that I'm €600/month up from not smoking anymore I'm gonna re-sub for the year and get kick-ass avatar back.
    ...........feck. o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

customavatars.jpg

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

DeVore wrote: »
    I'll ask tomorrow what the suss is but its a perk of subscribing so I dont think we want to take that away from subscribers, if anything we'd like to give them more for their support.

DeV.

I agree, but can the standard set of avatars that's available to all users be updated / changed a bit to be more reflective of more current things?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

-1, and in fact I think the current avatar set should be reduced to just the Calvin & Hobbes set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There are some really crappy ones in there at the moment.

Like what are these? They aren't even anything.

Dune_-_Hunterseeker.gif

Gundam_-_MSN_02_Head.gif
    Gundam_-_MSN_02_Hands.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The first is a Hunter Seeker from Dune - used in an attempt to assassinate Paul Adredies after the family had moved to Arrakis.

The second two are from the Gundam series and are parts of one of the Gundam bots - I'm not too familiar with the series myself though, so can't give any more details.

This Avatars business is one of those "it's not all that important, so we don't really have time to look after it" situations, but I'll put it on my "you might want to..." list.

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

DeVore wrote: »
    If you subscribe for a month (€5) you can change your avatar to anything you like and after the month is up it will stay (afaik). I'll check that with the tech lads tomorrow.

DeV.

They seem to stay for a while and then dissappear. I don't know how it works; my avatar stayed on my profile for a while but was not appearing beside my posts.

I mentioned this before but if the avatar is hosted off boards I don't see what the issue should be. Talliesin mentioned something about security but I'm not sure what exactly the risk is.

What about a one time fee to submit a new 32x32p avatar into the collection?

I can't see why Boards doesn't allow custom avatars by default.
    Every other forum I am on does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Magenta wrote: »
    I can't see why Boards doesn't allow custom avatars by default.
    Every other forum I am on does.

Because it's a perk of being a subscriber or a mod. I like that. :D

Fad wrote: »
    Because it's a perk of being a subscriber or a mod. I like that. :D
    Then why have the 32s at all. Lets just get rid of them all.

No come on. There ought to be that option to regular users. And now that the site has pretty much doubled (tripled?) in size since I joined, It would be nice if the immensely larger userbase didnt have to pick and choose from the same paltry pool of stock avatars. I mean honestly how many Optimus Primes and Cartmans do we need running around here?

• Advertisement

And that kick-ass avatar will kick your Nintendo 8-bit avatar's ass! :pac:
    Congrats on getting off the smokes Macros, I hope you used the Giving Up Smoking forum as that would put a smile on my face for the sheer symmetry.

Consider that 2 packs a day will cost you 17 euro, x 30 days is 340 euros... Its by no means difficult to imagine someone spending 600 a month!

DeV.

Advertisement