Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Was in Kelly's for the game, great set up. Projector upstairs, 2 downstairs and a few big tvs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Another for The Skeff, was just in there today and wasn't too busy and good few places to watch the game from. I think a band will be playing after the second game tonight as well. Heard they are supposed to be pretty good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Mactard wrote: »
    Was in Kelly's for the game, great set up. Projector upstairs, 2 downstairs and a few big tvs too.
    Was upstairs good? I was thinking they'd have it open.

Yea, I think O Connells have the perfect set up for a big screen outside. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Brad768 wrote: »
    Another for The Skeff, was just in there today and wasn't too busy and good few places to watch the game from. I think a band will be playing after the second game tonight as well. Heard they are supposed to be pretty good :)

Skeff Was buzzing last night. Packed! Band were very good and was great craic.. A huge crowd moved to outside after the game great atmosphere!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Jim wrote: »
    Was upstairs good? I was thinking they'd have it open.

Yeah, the place was busy and there was a good atmosphere, good range of viewing angles and not much of a queue at the upstairs bar. I'd go back for the spain game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Skeff Was buzzing last night. Packed! Band were very good and was great craic.. A huge crowd moved to outside after the game great atmosphere!

Aye had friends out last night and they said it was the best night out they had in months. They also said how empty it was as soon as the game was over :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭buzz11

I was impressed with massive screen in Oslo but the place was packed... but I only stayed for first half so don't know if it emptied out after the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was in The King's Head for the Ireland-Croatia match. Cracking atmosphere. It was packed, with most people standing up watching the big screen downstairs. But I think that really added to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Can this sticky be removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure thang :)

Any followup discussion or whatnot, use Soccer under Sports section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hey guys, wondering if you could recommend a good pub to watch the Real Barca match in the city. There's a big group of us and preferably not too expensive, thanks :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Try Fagans (Hotel Meyrick - Eyre Sq.), TVs all over and I think they dish up buckets of chips etc during games (???). Not sure about price of pints though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Garveys opposite the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rickos

Hi there,

Would anyone know of a good bar in town that will definitely be showing the Newcastle v Benfica game next week?

I believe it will be on the UK channels, ITV or ITV4?

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Rickos wrote: »
    Hi there,

Would anyone know of a good bar in town that will definitely be showing the Newcastle v Benfica game next week?

Richard

I'm not sure if football is shown on ITV 4 over here but Fagan's normally has a good selection of channels if it's not on "normal" tv

juicet3rry wrote: »
    I'm not sure if football is shown on ITV 4 over here but Fagan's normally has a good selection of channels if it's not on "normal" tv

Thanks for that.

I might give Fagan's a wide berth. Last time I was in there was back in 2009, again over on holiday, for the Villa v Newcastle game. We got relegated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Are you sure that wasn't JFK's fault? Note, I wouldn't dream of upsetting the Toon Army by blaming Shearer.

Other shouts would be the Cellar, Garvey's or even the Kings Head. If you're drinking pints i'd avoid the Kings head or just stick on bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hi there,

Richard

If you're in town over the weekend drop into Fagans as they usually post the sports schedule for the next week.

antoobrien wrote: »
    If you're in town over the weekend drop into Fagans as they usually post the sports schedule for the next week.

Will do. I get there on Tuesday so can take a look then.

• Advertisement

The Salthouse have recently begun to show matches and have a chalkboard with details up for the week usually.

The Salthouse have recently begun to show matches and have a chalkboard with details up for the week usually.

Thanks for that. My hotel is close to that bar so will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Thanks for that. My hotel is close to that bar so will take a look.

Try the ale in there, really good stuff. Love watching a match in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Where in Galway is the best to go watch soccer games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Moyglish

hi guys,

Have a friend who's dying to watch this, but apparently RTE aren't showing it?

He's wondering if there's any hotel / pub showing this match?

Rang The Clayton, Huntsmann and Connaught hotel - no go in all those three.

Or is there somewhere he can stream it online?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

It's not on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Think its being streamed on rte website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

The only place you can watch it live is tullamore. Not on internet or tv

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Friend reckons it's going to be on Sky Sports 3 and was looking for a pub or hotel that might be showing it?

Will check out the RTE site, thanks for info guys

The only place you can watch it live is tullamore. Not on internet or tv

Heard on the radio GBFM? it'll be broadcast on radio only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

cant see it on the rte player but there was talk earlier in the week that sky were showing armagh in the football, so rte would show the hurling on the rte player dont see it there though

mightyreds wrote: »
    cant see it on the rte player but there was talk earlier in the week that sky were showing armagh in the football, so rte would show the hurling on the rte player dont see it there though

Sky objected so not being shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

deisedude wrote: »
    Sky objected so not being shown

It's nothing to do with sky, the same thing would have happened for the past few years when TV3 had matches, there was a provision that RTE couldn't show matches at the same time as a TV3 match (and vice versa).

So if you want somebody to blame for it not being on TV, the Leinster Council decided for various reasons to put the match on at that time, perhaps to get an extra few thousand through the gates (attendance was up about 5,000).

mightyreds wrote: »

It should have been on the GAA GO site that RTE run for the GAA, as they have all the matches, but I don't know if this is available in Ireland or just abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Best pub in galway city to watch Scotland v Ireland?

Scotland 1-0 Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm a Spurs fan, Heading into Galway tomorrow with a Gooner fan to watch the mach. Is there a Spurs pub in Galway or just a good pub for watching the match?

Don't think there is a spurs pub, I liked fagans but sadly that's no more. Will be in watching it myself but haven't set sights on a venue yet, i'll keep an eye on this thread for suggestions :D

My son tells me Kelly's in town has the big screens for the games, so may try there.

Yeah, it's got a projector and a few awkwardly placed 32" tvs, worth a punt for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I'm a Spurs fan, Heading into Galway tomorrow with a Gooner fan to watch the mach. Is there a Spurs pub in Galway or just a good pub for watching the match?

i checked online, 'Galway Spurs' showed up on facebook, its on private so cant find info and i wont add them as friends. you can do it tho!

if im correct, i think that the western hotel might be there meeting point!

but if you dont want to meet up with them, any decent of the big pubs will have it on, front door, dail, pucan etc

• Advertisement

swiftman wrote: »
    i checked online, 'Galway Spurs' showed up on facebook, its on private so cant find info and i wont add them as friends. you can do it tho!

if im correct, i think that the western hotel might be there meeting point!

but if you dont want to meet up with them, any decent of the big pubs will have it on, front door, dail, pucan etc

Thanks Swiftman, I don't do Facebook, life's too short. Ye I'v been in the Pucan recently, not for footie, and it is a fine place since the done it up and I have free parking right beside there so might try that and if that's empty just head on down to Kelly's. Its an early start so town could be quite.

Dew Drop is a good spot for a match but not sure if they open for early games. Garveys always show them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    My son tells me Kelly's in town has the big screens for the games, so may try there.

Awful pub to watch sport in from previous experience.

As mentioned Dew Drop Inn is an Arsenal pub if it's open. Pucan is where I'm heading for it as I know for sure they've shown BT early games in there. Seats go quickly though and the rugby is on after too.

well I am going to be a lazy son of a bitch and head for the pucan to watch Spurs beat the Gooners, if that aint working I'm gonna head down Shop street with my gooner brother and see what happens. When Spurs do win, what does it matter where we watch or end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Abit off topic, but has any pub got Fox Sports or NBC?

Abit off topic, but has any pub got Fox Sports or NBC?

Very unlikely, and ive never seen any with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

The Cellar bar was shaping up to be a Spurs supporters bar for awhile last year but think it has trailed off in last while (haven't been myself in over a year). The Oslo bar in Salthill has largest screen and good food and craft beer.

JohnDee wrote: »
    The Cellar bar was shaping up to be a Spurs supporters bar for awhile last year but think it has trailed off in last while (haven't been myself in over a year). The Oslo bar in Salthill has largest screen and good food and craft beer.

Any time ive seen theany match on the screen in the Oslo the quality has been woeful, Krcma is a better option in Salthill for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭buzz11

Any time ive seen theany match on the screen in the Oslo the quality has been woeful, Krcma is a better option in Salthill for me.

How do ya mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Reading through this thread, Is Fagan's still open? And if so, where abouts is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement