Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

training for long distance cycling

• 19-02-2010 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I plan on doing a sponsored cycle across america. It works out at an average of about 130km a day for 6 days then 1 days rest for 7 weeks. My current fitness level is reasonable a couple of triathlons and football training! I work 9-5 mon to frid so finding it hard to fit in the training and not sure what type of training I should be doing! please help! oh and my gear is getting driven behind me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

In the next few weekends I would do the following.
    1, build your distance by about 10% per training ride up to 130km. Then you will know that you can do 130km.
    2. Then build back to back rides. Say 75 to 100km on day 1 and 2 or say 50km/day over three successive days. This should build the ability to be on the bike every day.
    3. Cycle to work and eventually get say a 50km ride in before or after work. Will be a bit easier once clocks go back.
    4. Spend last 10mins at least of every ride warming down by spinning an easy gear at lowish heart rate. Helps get lactic acid out of legs.
    5. Don't overdo it and enjoy yourself. Training is not necessarily easy but it should be something that you enjoy or else you won't stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cycleofusa2010

thanks dude!

Advertisement