Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus UPC modem will not go online.

• 19-02-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    Today i turned on my UPC modem and it will not go online,
    I have the following lights::
    power green.
    DS (downstream) green
    US (upstream) flashing green
    online No light.

I rebooted it loads of times and contacted Chorus and they cannot get someone out till Tuesday!!!
    What would the cause of this be as it was perfect yesterday???
    is it the modem,or the cable or what do you think.
    is there anything I can do or is it their side that it will not lock onto Upstream signal.
    Could it be that the area is down even though they said it was not, They could not ping my Modem either???

Your help please.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's probably on their side. I've had this kind of thing happen quite a few time (over 6 years) and it normally comes back. In my experience they will usually deny (perhaps they don't know) a network issue even when it is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moviesrme

Yeah, same here. With me it started yesteday morning. It all started up fine and then after 5 to 10 mins. the connection stallled. I followed windows' recommended moves as offered to me and sometimes it would work and I'd get another 5 min..to 2 hours fine and then the same thing again or it just would not fix and I'd leave then computer for some hours and it would then work.
    I called them and got sympathy and an offer of a tech callback which hasn't happened and I called again and got put on hold for 20min. at which point I gave up.
    It seems to be working again now but whether it will recur is anyones guess. I suspected strongly it was at their end and your problems just makes me more sure.
    On the positive side it has been ages since I've had a problem with them and usually they resolve them within a day or so without me saying anything.
    I just wish the tech people in UPC would tell the front line people a blanket "Don't adjust your set" type statement so you know it's a general problem and they're on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

My internet connection has been dropping in the last few months. I have to turn off the modem and switch it on again and after a couple of minutes the ppp orange light flashes. The other 3 lights work (don't know what they're for). Perlico supplied the modem a few years ago. Has anyone had this experience and what was done to rectify the problem. Should I replace it and can I get any modem in place of it? Perlico are the world's worst in my opinion for dealing with problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

joanmul wrote: »
    My internet connection has been dropping in the last few months. I have to turn off the modem and switch it on again and after a couple of minutes the ppp orange light flashes. The other 3 lights work (don't know what they're for). Perlico supplied the modem a few years ago. Has anyone had this experience and what was done to rectify the problem. Should I replace it and can I get any modem in place of it? Perlico are the world's worst in my opinion for dealing with problems.

Yes its a well known fact that the zyxel hw 600 series are ****e modems-cancel your contract with perlico-they are truly the worst business that i have dealt with in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

This happened me last week for a full day. When it came back i had the full 15mb or near enough broadband that i am paying for all the time. They upgraded the line. So hopefully you'll be the same! This is 8 pm and i'm on wireless....733620598.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

Daithi07 wrote: »
    This happened me last week for a full day. When it came back i had the full 15mb or near enough broadband that i am paying for all the time. They upgraded the line. So hopefully you'll be the same! This is 8 pm and i'm on wireless....733620598.png

How do you know they upgraded you? I got a 'free' upgrade that tied me in to stay with them for a year. I haven't contacted them with my problems as they are woeful to deal with as the OP said. that's why I was wondering could I change the modem to another one - not supplied by them. Would that solve my problems - more the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

the same problem happened to me as well,i think that something problem with new modem from CISCO. i am going to ask tech guy to replace new modem with old types(model and netgear router), hopefully it will be going away

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

How do you know they upgraded you? I got a 'free' upgrade that tied me in to stay with them for a year. I haven't contacted them with my problems as they are woeful to deal with as the OP said. that's why I was wondering could I change the modem to another one - not supplied by them. Would that solve my problems - more the point.

After i applied for a "free" upgrade in january, my Service was woeful. I rang and demanded not to charged full whack for 25mb. When service went down, i rang again and a technician called back the folling day to explain that they had carried out work in the area have good speeds ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Noticed mine was gone on Monday. Power light is on but the DS light is just flashing. Was working fine on Sunday evening (when I say fine I mean I was getting 8mb and paying for 30mb!). The only other lights that come on are for the Wireless and the LAN connections. I can connect to the router fine but the router can't connect to the internet.

Phoned yesterday evening and was told I would receive a call back. I just rang again at 8.55pm and waited in the queue for 20 minutes and got on to a broadband 'tech support'. He didn't know too much to be honest, now I have a callout for tomorrow afternoon. He better know more than the last nimrod that called!

How do I go about getting credit for the days I didn't have any service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can't just change your modem with a cable broadband connection like you can with ADSL, the modem supplied by upc is locked to your line and even *if* you could get all the other settings required to make it work, you still wouldn't be able to use it without a call to the upc connections people to do the locking bit from their end and since you're not a upc engineer, you can't do that bit.

it's a shame too, i'd give my left nut to be able to use a decent modem. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

3 days now I am off line with the Cisco modem. Apparently something went wrong with an upgrade and I can't understand what the hell the girl on the automated message is saying. Anybody got a fix for this?
    I'm being told to reset the modem by pushing in a little button at the back and then entering the SSID number and password on the back of the modem. But where?
    Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Strum wrote: »
    3 days now I am off line with the Cisco modem. Apparently something went wrong with an upgrade and I can't understand what the hell the girl on the automated message is saying. Anybody got a fix for this?
    I'm being told to reset the modem by pushing in a little button at the back and then entering the SSID number and password on the back of the modem. But where?
    Thanks for any help.

If you're in DL, you might have been affected by the same outage. It's back online for me today :)

Advertisement