Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef 2010 Thread

Options
  • 19-02-2010 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Started back last night, I like this show. :)

It's back to the norms after the recent professional one.

Some of the stuff on last night was pretty good.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh i want terry to win

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is this back on BBC daily? I haven't seen it yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it was last night and tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I've been watching Australian Masterchef. I flicked on UK Masterchef last night and gave up after 5 minutes. The format is so tired.

The Aussie version is quite different. The contestants live together in a communal house (although there is no Big Brother aspect to the show). It a mix of Masterchef and The Apprentice. Lots of team competitions focused on cookery. The mix of team competitions and communal living allows for the contestants personalities to come out.

There are also fast track opportunities for the best competitor - cooking against a celeb chef and trying to replicate their signature dish. The judges blind taste the plates and score each one. If the contestant wins they are immediately in the final.

Other chefs give masterclasses in cooking different dishes. with some of the contestants given the opportunity to cook and taste the dishes.

The judging format is also different. In the individual tests, everyone cooks in a recipe challenge, but only half get to present their dishes. Out of those, the three worst chefs have to cook off against each other. In that cook off, the dishes are judged by three judges and the worst leaves. In the team competitions, the losing side votes for a member of the team to leave.

The winning prize includes chef training from leading professional chefs, the chance to have their own cookbook published, and AUD$100,000 in cash.

If you like Masterchef and the Apprentice, try and catch Masterchef Austraila. Vert entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Agreed, the format for the BBC masterchef is really really tired. So many canned bits. If i have to hear that 'cooking doesn't get tougher than this' section again or the judging section they do on the couches :mad: however the competition is still relevant. The aussie one though is quite good, but for the cheesiest title sequence in all of TV and the reality TVesque 'all living in the same house, sideplot of relationships between the competitors'

EDIT: also the fact that they don't work in a pro kitchen at all, which is half the battle when it comes to being a pro chef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I really like the Aussie masterchef also.

I like the way the judges give constructive criticism and they really want the contestants to improve their skills... not like the UK one. I also really like the masterclass the chefs give every week.

I googled the winner, and can't believe they won however!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Is it odd that I found Jonty quite attractive!!? :confused:

And John is looking slightly tastier too.

Loved the younger dude - shame he got sent home. And I think they gave the 60's one a hard time over the strawberry - she only meant to add it for colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

I really like 'the 60s one' too! Thought she was great and can't wait to see what she cooks next . I also loved the way she said what she wanted out of the programme; books, tv deals, the lot. A bit of refreshing honesty I thought and a nice change from a usual desire to provide 'ethically sound/asian fusion/ hearty grub in a nice intimate setting' (usually involving scallops, is there anything else in the Masterchef kitchen?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scallops and Pea Purée (sometimes with black pudding) guaranteed from at least one of the six in each of the qualifiers, it's doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Its overkill this year. 1 show a night would be fine but 2 on a thursday and 3 on a friday is too much Masterchef for me. Last night i watch one and flicked off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Des wrote: »
    Scallops and Pea Purée (sometimes with black pudding) guaranteed from at least one of the six in each of the qualifiers, it's doing my head in.
    I was thinking that alright. Those guys must get sick of scallops with black pud and peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Goshdarnit....I missed that completely.

Thanks for the headsup...

What channel shows M'chef Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Aussie M'chef is on Watch a 7pm and repeated on maybe watch +1 at 8. Its on Sun - Fri which is a lot though!

Advertisement