Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm gonna bottle it...

• 19-02-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

OH YES I WILL!

I've written it in a public forum now so I have to.

I'm doing a half marathon in June. I am! I have only started running in the last 2 or 3 months. The new years resolution was 10k in less than 60 minutes. I ran 10k in 54 minutes last saturday so I was pretty happy with that.

Female - 25 - 5'4 - about 9stone (give or take depending on the day of the week :D) - and off all rubbish (crisps, sweets, chocolate but maybe not a homemade non-choclate treat!!) for lent (oh..gonna have to stick to that too now I've written it down)!

On Krusty's advice I'm going to do one long run a week - on a saturday or sunday - bearing in mind that long for me is 6miles. The loose plan is to increase by a mile every 2 or 3 weeks.

So I have a 6 miler mapped out for tomorrow. Going to get up early and start the weekend well!

Would also like to add that I really didn't want to do anything last night but having been told to cut out the excuses I put on the woolly hat and ran 2.5miles to the gym, did some upper body weights and ran the 2.5miles home. Yaay!

I WILL DO THIS!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and good luck :)

Which half are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

claralara wrote: »
    OH YES I WILL!

I've written it in a public forum now so I have to.

I'm doing a half marathon in June. I am! I have only started running in the last 2 or 3 months. The new years resolution was 10k in less than 60 minutes. I ran 10k in 54 minutes last saturday so I was pretty happy with that.

Female - 25 - 5'4 - about 9stone (give or take depending on the day of the week :D) - and off all rubbish (crisps, sweets, chocolate but maybe not a homemade non-choclate treat!!) for lent (oh..gonna have to stick to that too now I've written it down)!

On Krusty's advice I'm going to do one long run a week - on a saturday or sunday - bearing in mind that long for me is 6miles. The loose plan is to increase by a mile every 2 or 3 weeks.

So I have a 6 miler mapped out for tomorrow. Going to get up early and start the weekend well!

Would also like to add that I really didn't want to do anything last night but having been told to cut out the excuses I put on the woolly hat and ran 2.5miles to the gym, did some upper body weights and ran the 2.5miles home. Yaay!

I WILL DO THIS!!

Welcome and best of luck with your log. Are you following any particular plan or just taking each day as it comes?

I WILL DO THIS!!

My advice for this would be to put your plan for the week in the log at the start. This way it is out there and there is no hiding from what you have to do. When is your Half scheduled for? 54 is a great start with the 10k you definitely on the right track. have you any goal times in mind.

If you have any questions in terms of training or what ever dont be afraid of posting them here and i sure people will be only to happy to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great start claralara! Remember, long runs should be slower than you every day runs. Good luck with the training for the 10 mile and half marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So the curse of working Monday to Friday had me wide awake at 7.30 yesterday morning and not able to go back to sleep. Rage. It was a lovely morning though so I really couldn't justify lying in bed staring out the window. Decided to bite the bullet and hauled ass out of bed for long run number 1...ever. Did the 6miles I had mapped in 60 minutes and didn't feel too bad so took the long way home. Total run (could also be desrcibed as a brisk walk with an exaggerated bounce in my step...) was 7.5miles and it took me 1hour 13 mins. That's probably slow for you other loggers but it seemed ok for me. Although I really wasn't sure of my pace and what I should actually be doing. I suppose that's something that will come to me after a while. Just getting out there is an achievment for me at the minute! It was amazing to be home, showered, fed, watered, warm and ready to start the day by 10am!!

Thanks for the replies guys - the half I have in mind is this one - http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com/ My only reason for this one is that I liked the date. Thought it seemed achievable and it should be fun and not too intense given that it's the first year. Although that may work against it too... Can't see a 10miler to aim for at the minute but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any other / alternative ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

At the minute, there is no actual training plan. Just taking it week by week but I might try settle into something a bit more stable over the next few weeks. Ecoli - good idea about putting up a plan at the start of every week. I hate having to admit I've failed at something. Hate more having to admit I just didn't bother!!

The regime since the start of January has been something like:
    Monday - run (between 5k and 10k - depending on what time I get out of work) and a 60mins circuits class;
    Tuesday - Upper body weights program and 45 mins spinning;
    Wednesday - lazy (rest!) day;
    Thursday - before work - run (between 5k and 10k - depending how long it takes to get out of my warm bed) and upper body weights;
    Saturday - 45 or 60 mins spinning but most likely from now on will be my 'long' run;
    Sunday - just a walk - long or short - depending on the energy levels / weather / hangover....

I suppose I'll have to set a goal of getting a certain amount of miles done every week now though. Any ideas?

I have no goal times in mind at the minute for the half. Again this is probably something I'll start considering more as I get more miles under the belt. Any idea on an average to good time for a first timer?

I can't quite work boards yet so apologies for the lack of quoting.

I would be interested to know about a runner's perspective on diet. I've been reading the nutrition stickies in the fitness forum and the nutrition & diet forum generally but there are some very different schools of thought. I'm going to have a root around this place now for the morning while I sit in my pj's being lazy for a while.

Also had a quick flick through your own logs (rainbow kirby, ecoli and krusty clown) and i'd say they'll keep me occupied for quite a while...I'm very impressed! Fair play to you!

Thanks for the replies guys - the half I have in mind is this one - http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com/ My only reason for this one is that I liked the date. Thought it seemed achievable and it should be fun and not too intense given that it's the first year

Having done a few races around the area the one thing i would say would be to include some runs over hill terrain because as far as i can remember the area fairly hilly meaning that strength will be a factor
    Although that may work against it too... Can't see a 10miler to aim for at the minute but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any other / alternative ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

www.runireland.com should be able to give you your choice of races either this or i sure over the next few weeks something may also pop up in the A/R/T events thread. My advice would be get a few races building up to you distance ie. 5k 5 mile 10k 10mile and then on to the goal race

I suppose I'll have to set a goal of getting a certain amount of miles done every week now though. Any ideas?
    This is completely subjective my advice would be to see it is an ogoing project increasing the mileage over time. The idea of training is to stress your body in order to adapt slowly so only increase your mileage by 10% of your total weekly mileage in any given week and dont increase two weeks in a row as one week you may feel good with the jump so jump again despite not being fully ready two weeks can give you a better judge of how you reacting to your increase

I have no goal times in mind at the minute for the half. Again this is probably something I'll start considering more as I get more miles under the belt. Any idea on an average to good time for a first timer?

As you progress in training running these shorter distances will be able to get a better understanding of what kinda time you will be aiming for. The main thing is just gt out running for now and just enjoy yourself. The first one is an experience after that you can start worrying about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck claralara. Starting a log is a good first step.

I've half an eye on that half marathon myself. Its down near the inlaws and I know the organisers so I know it'll be a good event.

I haven’t missed a circuits class since the 4th of January and the week I start my log I don’t make it..typical! I don’t know if people accept genuine excuses – and I’m generally a hardass when it comes to excuses – but a good friend got some bad news over the weekend so I had to travel to Galway on Sunday morning and literally just back in work this minute.

Slogger – you can tell your mate that the scenic descriptions of the course were a real deal maker. Literary genius at it’s best.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Having done a few races around the area the one thing i would say would be to include some runs over hill terrain because as far as i can remember the area fairly hilly meaning that strength will be a factor

www.runireland.com should be able to give you your choice of races either this or i sure over the next few weeks something may also pop up in the A/R/T events thread. My advice would be get a few races building up to you distance ie. 5k 5 mile 10k 10mile and then on to the goal race

By strength work – do you mean incorporating hills into everyday runs or the long run? Or are we talking going off piste for a certain distance / amount of time? Or are we talking cross training of some sort like cycling or climbing stairs? Apologies for my utter naivity here!

I’ll defintely pick out a few runs on runireland and include those in the training plan. Maybe one a month or every 3 weeks or something.

General plan for this week as follows so:
    Monday: Write-off
    Tuesday: 45 mins spinning and upper body weights
    Wednesday: 5 mile run
    Thursday: 2.5 mile run to gym – upper body weights – 2.5 mile run home
    Friday: 30 mins spinning before work (time to start getting out of bed for the bright mornings if I’m going to start the am runs in the near future)
    Saturday: long run 7.5 miles the same as last Saturday – pretty slow again I’d say but hopefully not slower than last week – (I think this 7.5 will be my long run this week and next and then maybe up it to 8 the following week)
    Sunday: rest J maybe a walk if I near to clear a head suffering from a few vinos from Saturday night...

It’s pretty unlikely that I’ll get through all of the above but I like to have a general plan. I won’t go mad if one of Thursday or Friday’s plans doesn’t materialise.

I also know it’s probably not an ideal runner’s plan but mixing it up will keep me motivated and interested and I’m sure it’ll all help in the general get-off-your-ass-and-sort-your-life-out scheme of things

Didn’t get a chance to be nosy with other people’s logs in the end on Sunday but I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the log claralara :)

Nice 7.5 mile run last week, the half will be no bother to you come June!

Happy training!

Whatever you do, don't overdo the training. Build up slowly, and you're more likely to enjoy it, and keep doing it. Nothing better than running to get-off-your-ass-and-sort-your-life-out. :)

By strength work – do you mean incorporating hills into everyday runs or the long run? Or are we talking going off piste for a certain distance / amount of time? Or are we talking cross training of some sort like cycling or climbing stairs? Apologies for my utter naivity here!

I would say that getting used to hills in your everyday runs will be good enough and build up to try and get some of your LSRs on hilly routes and you should be fine. This is just so your body doesnt get a shock come race day:eek:

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Weights – Check!
    Spinning – Check!
    45 minutes of sweaty sweaty hell. I have no doubt that I was a vision of beauty as I stumbled off my bike. It’s always worth it though – love that Tuesday class.
    Last night was actually the toughest it’s been in a while but not sure if that’s as a result of the long run on Saturday or the hectic past few days or the fact that I was starving after work so had my dinner before I went – it really didn’t sit well...ugh.
    ecoli wrote: »
    I would say that getting used to hills in your everyday runs will be good enough and build up to try and get some of your LSRs on hilly routes and you should be fine. This is just so your body doesnt get a shock come race day:eek:

Just for you Newtownpark Avenue uphill is slap bang in the middle of tonight’s planned run. I think I’ll spend the next few hours thinking about lunch instead...Ha.

I've decided that LSR must mean Long Saturday Run...even if doesn't that's my story and I'm sticking to it

So glad that rain cleared up!

Wednesday 24 Feb
    5 miles - 44.20. Not a great time but my god that hill is tough!!

I'm going to get a flatter 5miles in under 40 minutes very soon. And I'm going to have tonight's run down to 40 or less by 1/2marathon time...boom!

That's some great going! Lots of different runs in that area for a bit of variety. You can head down to Blackrock and run along the coast in either direction. Head to Deansgrange and run through the parks that go all the way to Loughlinstown. Run to Caninteely Park, and do some loops. You're spoilt for choice!

Thursday
    - Parked rear end on couch in front of the tv with a pot of tea and a mountain of plain oat biscuits (insert ‘lent sucks’ comment here!)

Friday (nice and early before work) – full of beans for the day now J
    - Upper Body Weights
    - 30 minute spinning class
    I have to admit I didn’t really push myself in spinning. The legs were pretty heavy and a bit a sore and I didn’t want to ruin tomorrow’s LSR (S now meaning Slow I think..haha). I’m a little worried about it to be honest. I think say my body is in shock since I decided I wanted to achieve a new goal. Sure I’ll go out as soon as I get up again tomorrow and hope for the best. I anticipate it’s going to be to alot tougher and slower than last week!

If anyone has any advice on stretching that would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn’t be a very disciplined student on that side of things....

Saturday 27th
    7.5miles - 1hr14mins
    Took it pretty handy - nice morning for it - not as bad as I had expected despite the post-work beers yesterday evening.... Quite enjoyable actually!!

Passed a few runners en route who very politely smiled and said good morning...I feel like a cheat who's infiltrated some sort of secret running code.. If only they knew! :cool:

Sunday 28th
    - a handy hungover 40 minute walk :)

Monday 1st- absolute bailout last night. Went out for a 4mile run to be followed by circuits. Made it about 500m before I stopped. My body was not cooperating, my mind was in a rage. I couldn't go any further. :mad: Was in bed asleep by 8.30. Feel a lot better today though so hopefully I made the right decision by leaving it out last night!

Anyway spinning tonight - should be a good one! Fingers crossed!

I think I feel like a bit of a cheat logging in this forum as my running mileage really isn’t comparable to anyone else’s. But I’ll get there over the next couple of months..I hope! Just really trying to work on the general fitness while increasing mileage very slowly.

Anyway Tuesday 2nd
    - Upper body weights
    - Core Work
    - 45 minute spinning class
    Was absolutely delighted I took Monday off and got a good rest. Felt so much stronger last night and really pushed myself in spin. It was a brilliant class. Normally I’d feel really guilty for the lazy night but it seems my body was refusing to cooperate for a reason. I even had a really productive day in work yesterday too!!

You learn very quickly around here, that there's little point in comparing yourself to anybody else. There will always be somebody faster (and slower) than you, someone who looks are your mileage with envy, and someone that does your weekly mileage in a single run with a backpack on (for no other reason than to weigh themselves down). For my part, I'm envious of your core work and weights! I haven't done any in 6 months.

Some days you'll have an off day, and find it really difficult to get out there. Best thing you can do is:
    1) Shorten the distance, but still go out and do a small bit of mileage (mind over body!)
    2) Try and figure out why you couldn't do the run (sleep, food/energy)
    sometimes you'll find that it passes after 10 minutes, and you feel fine to continue afterwards.

I think I feel like a bit of a cheat logging in this forum as my running mileage really isn’t comparable to anyone else’s. But I’ll get there over the next couple of months..I hope! Just really trying to work on the general fitness while increasing mileage very slowly.

Anyway Tuesday 2nd
    - Upper body weights
    - Core Work
    Was absolutely delighted I took Monday off and got a good rest. Felt so much stronger last night and really pushed myself in spin. It was a brilliant class. Normally I’d feel really guilty for the lazy night but it seems my body was refusing to cooperate for a reason. I even had a really productive day in work yesterday too!!

I think that this is something that many people in Europe and America need to learn. Having read alot of the African training philosophies and talking to some i have learned the single greatest bit of advice they can give is "run with your body not against".
    While this does not mean to that if things get too hard to just pack it in it does mean that there is no point in killing yourself just because your schedule has a particular thing on a particular day. At the end of the day if the body is really struggling on a day move that training session to one of your rest days and as long as you dont have 2 very hard days in a row this is fine. The main thing is to keep stressing your body enough for developing yourself without running yourself down

I know there will be days when I could very easily talk myself out of not going out and looking for excuses like the cold weather or the rain or being too tired and those days will definitely be mind-over-matter. And I know for example that if there’s a day I’m just not bothered but if I push myslef I’ll be well able and feel great after a few minutes. But I cannot explain how I felt on Monday – it was almost like an outer body experience. Even mentally I was in a pure rage. It was so strange. But I don’t think I would have fallen asleep so early adn gotten 10 hours sleep if I didn’t need it.

(Now in hindsight it probably didn’t help that I went out for a drink or six on Saturday night and I’d say I probably only ate the same amount on Saturday as I would any other day despite the fact that I had been up nice and early for my long run. I’ll adjust that this weekend and see if it makes a difference)

I really am trying to not be a big lazy excuse maker.

Wednesday 3rd
    - I hadn’t planned on doing anything yesterday but got home from work early and had nothing exciting planned so went for an easy run around the block.
    5.7k – 31 minutes – I’d say about 50/50 uphill/downhill – well duh if I went in a loop! Ha!
    Pretty enjoyable but uneventful. Apart from nearly creaming myslef off a lampost in front of the world on the N11 as I tried to check the time on my new PLAYSKOOL stopwatch! :o

• Advertisement

Thursday 4th
    - 5 miles encompassing my uphill Newtownpark Avenue nemesis - 44.28. Doesn't look like I'll be reducing that time any time soon but I'll get there. Eventually. :)

Friday 5th
    - Rest and thai take away and the late late (eurovision special...oh yeah!!) with the girls. Lovely stuff.

Saturday 6th
    - 8.8 miles - 1hour 26mins - was quite slow towards the end. Went out for the 7.5miles that I had done for the last 2 weeks but decided to push myself the long way home. Yaay! It wasn't as painful running by the end of my road to go around the block as I thought it would be. And now lot's of non-chocolate (damn lent! although I've kept to it!!) for dad's birthday today. I think I deserve it. :D

Best of luck to everyone in Barcelona this weekend!! Excellent work guys. Enjoy it!

Sunday
    - Decided to don the dreaded speedos and go to the pool. I can safely say it’s been more than 10 years since I swam a length of a pool (splashing around the shallow end on holidays doesn’t count I don’t think...). A very leisurely 30lengths of the 25m pool. Won’t be going competitive with that any time soon. But I might as well make the most of the gym membership!

Monday
    - 30 minutes intervals on the cross trainer
    - 60 minute circuits class. That was pretty tough. Wanted to leave every 5 minutes but just kept pushing myself to stay 5 minutes more until the 60 were up. Great strategy! J

Tuesday 9th
    - Upper Body Weights
    Increased my weights last night and really enjoyed spinning without feeling like dying. Yaay – I’m getting fitter and stronger. It’s great to start noticing results.

Rest today J

9.3k run into work planned for the morning. It’s downhill most of the way so it should be fine. Hopefully I will then be full of beans for the day and not shattered! Not brave enough to try running with a backpack yet though so I brought my stuff in this morning. I’ll be back…;)

Thursday 11th
    - Lovely morning run into work this morning. 9.3k (according to mapmyrun) – 49.15. The route is probably half downhill and half flat (with a few mild inclines) so not too tough. Perfect to start the day for a beginner anyway. And I saved €2.50 on the bus fare! Haha.

Friday 12th
    - Does running around the office like a mad women for 9 hours contribute to my weekly mileage? :D God I was so busy! No exercise! Bold girl. And then straight to the pub..oops.

Saturday 13th
    - No LSR today as a result of needing a lie on and having a bit of a head on me after last night. I'm so bold. Feel really guilty. Have to go to a birthday party tonight but I'm really going to try not drink too much alcohol or eat too much rubbish. Still off the chocolate, crisps and sweets for lent but there are going to be non-chocolatey cupcakes....yum!!

My next post WILL confirm that I got off my arse on Sunday and went either to a 60 minute spinning class or for a run - haven't decided which yet. Will have to see how tonight goes :eek:

Have been shirking my running / mileage responsibilites for the last week or so. Definitely back on track next week!

Sunday 14th
    - 60 minute spinning class
    - Upper body weights

Yaay! This is all getting quite addictive. Feel guilty when I don't do anything and great when I do. Better than chocolate any day...wierd!

Circuits tomorrow. I think I'll run up to the gym and back so that'll be about 5 miles altogether - 2 short runs either side of class.

45 mins spinning on tuesday.

And I should really catch up on the missed long run from this weekend. If I behave myself on tuesday night I'll take advantage of the day off work on weds and do 9 miles.

Monday 15th
    - 4.3k run to the gym – 23mins
    - 60 minute circuit class
    - Easy 2.3k run home…took the short way home as I did something to my ankle in circuits and it was a bit stiff.

The ankle is still a bit sore across the front this morning, but not swollen so I think that’s a good sign? I don’t know if I’ll get out for my long run tomorrow now though. Might just go for a swim. Am feeling a few little niggles on my right leg… not sure what to do about those...hmmm!

Hi Claralara, ice and elevation for the ankle, and if the problem persists, physio and no long running. Generally you shouldn't try and catch up on missed sessions, particularly if it will impact any other training / exercise sessions you have planned.

Cheers for the advice. Kept the flat shoes on and spent as little time as possible on my feet in work yesterday ankle was a lot better by the end of the day. Think it was just a minor twist. And amazing the running around the boys in the office in will do for a damsel in distress! Ha!

Though I took Krusty's advice and didn't try a long run today. Best to keep Wednesday my rest day and be able for the long run on saturday. 9 miles this weekend. eek..

Tuesday 16th
    - 45 minutes spinning

Wednesday 17th
    - Rest

Plan for thursday: run home from work. 9.3k-ish. Mostly uphill. Yuck. Cannot wait :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thursday 18th
    - 9.3k-ish run home from work. Pretty much uphill and the breeze was in my face the whole time. Had to walk for a good kilometre at about the 5k mark - 5o clock coffee probbaly wasn't my greatest idea! :) About 57 minutes. 3minutes longer than my 10k time and 8minutes longer than it took me to run into work last thursday...hmmm interesting.

Oh well! To be honest I was not looking forward to that all day - didn't know what lay ahead of me. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. Just very slow :mad:

Training isn't racing! 10k training should always take longer than a 10k race. If you run at race speed all of the time, you'll burn out. Slow is good. Sometimes. :)

Saturday 20th
    - Nothing. Nope. Zilch. Nada!

Sunday 21st
    - 7.5 ropey ropey miles. Had 9.5 lovely lovely miles mapped and planned. Got up and was delighted with the gorgeous morning that greeted me. Felt great, knees and ankle were all recovered from whatever stiffness they suffered in the last week or two. Tipping along at a nice pace, feeling good, not tired or breathless or anything and then BAM - 2 miles into a 9.5 mile run I got a stich. Walked through it for a couple of hundred metres and went off on my merry way again. Felt it coming again after another mile or so but pushed throuhg - just slowed right down and took some deep breaths. Then, another mile or so later, the 3rd attack crippled me and I let out a lovely girlie dramatic roar. Managed to get going again but not for long! It was so so painful - right under my ribcage on the right hand side. I actually wanted to cry on the side of the road in frustration. Decided to scrap the 9.5 miles and went home the direct way. Had to walk the last 2 miles though. And it was sore even at a walking pace. I am so annoyed and frustrated. I never really suffered from stitches and now as I'm getting fitter I'm suffering loads. Grrr. :mad:

7.5miles - 1 hour 30 mins...ugh!

Sunday 21st (Evening)
    - was so annoyed with this morning's performance that I had to see whether this stitch would rare its ugly head again if I went for a short (very short) run...literally ran around the block. Got a bit achy halfway but took some deep breaths and the chest lifted and kept saying 'just another 100m'..

I don't trust that I won't have a repeat of this morning next weekend but I'm going to do some reading and stuff and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Anyway I'm home now and in one piece which has really brightened up my day! :D

3.85km - 20.05mins.

Still haven't broken lent so no chocolate, sweets or crisps hanging out with the girls tonight! I have completely done the dog on plain biscuits and apple tart and carrot cake over the last 4 weeks however...at least I'm getting my 5 a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I've had trouble with stitches a few times. Found that it happens most often when I'm not properly hydrated before heading out. What I find helps proper stomach breaths (so that your tummy is actually expanding when you take a deep breath in), which isn't how I breathe normally but a few of those usually helps clear it up. Think I read somewhere before that the pain from a stitch is around the diaphragm area and these breaths help to stretch it a little and relieve the pain.

Either way, don't let it get you down. Keep plugging away as much as you can and you'll make it to your goal no problem :)

Thanks Xebec - I've been doing bit of reading about the unfortunate subject. Most advice is to do with hydration, breathing and which foot is striking the ground as you exhale etc so I'll keep those in mind and really try and concentrate tonight. I had to nip out of the office there to run an errand (about a 15 minute walk) and I still have a pain on my left hand side (Even when walking :( at the diaphragm / ribcage area which I'm finding very annoying and upsetting. I had intended to do 5 miles tonight and 5k tomorrow and then the UCD 5k on saturday but this is a right spanner in the works. I really hope it subsides. The thought of the pain is making me dread my runs which is particularly upsetting as I was starting to enjoy them and I'm getting fitter. :( Anyhoo..I'll go out tonight and do my best! Rant over!

Monday 22nd
    - Upper Body Weights Program
    - 20 mins Cross Trainer
    Couldn't make time for anything more unfortunately but glad I squeezed in that much.

Tuesday 23rd
    - Upper Body Weights Program
    - 45 minutes Spinning

Wednesday Plan - 5 miles...eek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Hi claralara,

Just had a look at your log as we're aiming for the same race I think.

You are flying it so far, well done! I'm a long way off your mileage and haven't quite got to the weights, cross training or diet just yet, so you're doing me a favour by making me feel bad!

I have got stitches at times myself so far and have found slowing down and concentrating on breathing to be the best solution - though I'm not going on as long as runs as you or as fast.

Hope the run goes well tonight, even though it's frustrating I wouldn't be too disheartened you are well on track.

Cheers Southofnowhere - you cheered me right up with that post! I must check out your log. Nothing like a bit of healthy competition for the motivation!! I do like the look of the Strawberry half so fingers crossed..all going well! We should keep tabs..

These pains are the strangest things! Had to go out of work again yesterday afternoon and really concentrated on the breathing and felt fine. So I dared a run last night...although the 5mile plan was smashed as I forgot I had coffee plans! So...

Wednesday 24th
    - 5.75k run around the block - 29.57mins
    No stitch but really had to concentrate on breathing which took a little more out of me than normal and nearly led to a collision with a lamp post...I do like to entertain the masses while I'm out and about!! :D Happy enough with that.

Hoping to get out tonight for a quickie but have dinner plans now so we'll see!

Looking forward to UCD 5k on saturday now - really hope I don't bail out. Would love a 27min time...hmmm...

And all going well I'll get a slow 6/7miler in this weekend too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice run there last night claralara, a great time.

Best of luck with the 5K at the weekend, bet you'll get that sub 27 :)

Friday 26th
    - 3.8k ish run just to get out and get some air after sitting at the desk all day. 20.45 handy enough minutes!

Saturday 27th (morning)
    - 5k race in UCD. Great morning for it, really enjoyed it. Thought it was well organised and great atmosphere and refreshments set up!
    First 4.5k were good, was looking at a sub25 finish so put the foot down to make it but the dreaded crippling pain hit again. Been thinking about this a lot and reading a good bit and I've accepted that I'm actually just not fit enough to be expecting so much of my body yet. I'll get there though. Finished at 25.30 so I'm pretty happy with that. I was not at the time but the emotion and pain has calmed down now! Great monring out.

Saturday 27th (afternoon)
    - Drove down to Blackrock after the race to attempt a nice LSR with a friend. Was a bit apprehensive after the race pain but decided to go for and play it by ear. Did 6 miles out to the end of the pier in Dun Laoghaire and back to the car. Was really enjoyable, lovely route out the coast road and no pain because of the slow pace. Took us about 60 mins - think I could have done another mile or two (physically) but just didn't have the time.

Gosh it's such a nice day! And now I deserve a good night out on the town!! :D

I really hope I’m not a fair weather runner… I didn’t do anything on Sunday which was the plan after Saturday. But then Monday’s run didn’t happen – I was still quite tired from the weekend and could barely stay awake in work although I must scold myself for making excuses!

Tuesday 30th
    - 45 minutes spin class
    - Upper body weights program

Nothing again tonight as I have to pack for my weekend in Scotland tomorrow. I’m bringing my runners (god what’s happened to me?!!) but I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with any running plans judging by that snowfall! Sure I’ll see!!

I’d love to haul ass out of bed for 5 miles in the morning before I go but I’m afraid to commit to that...

I seriously need to up my game and my mileage in April – I’m going to pick a goal number of kilometres to get under my belt. Did 88k in March (which I’m personally happy with. That along with spinning and weights every week is pretty good for me!)

So how about a goal of 130k for April… Really need to increase the distance of my LSR and the brighter evenings should be more accommodating to getting longer runs in too. Right that’s it – 130k here I come!!

I do think it’s going to be a while before getting up and out when I’m not in the mood isn’t a HUGE chore though! That said, I’ll get there eventually! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Claralara,

your progress is great! And aahhh... 25.30 5k... I can only dream of that!

Be careful of increasing your mileage too much too soon. The 10% rule states that you should never increase your mileage by more than 10% over the previous week thus reducing the risk of injury.

Article here. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html#

100k seems like a more reasonable target. Then, if you still feel good after hitting 100k (with no injuries or niggles), then do some more!

How about 110k?! I'm a woman I can compromise! :)

Thursday 1st
    - 4.75miles nice and early - 42mins - set me up for the weekend away full of food and drink!!

Friday 2nd / Sat 3rd
    - no running but my 6'3'' friend walked the legs off me for 3 full days! Edinburgh is hilly!!!!

Plan for sunday - knackered after the few days away but I'm hoping to tear myself off the couch for something productive at some stage today...

Sunday 4th
    - 4.75 miles - 41mins. Same loop as thursday and a minute faster, couldn't have gone much longer though.

Plan for tomorrow is LSR of about 9/9.5 miles.. longest one yet so it'll be interesting... and slow. Emphasis on the 'S' most definitely!!

Plan for tomorrow is LSR of about 9/9.5 miles.. longest one yet so it'll be interesting... and slow. Emphasis on the 'S' most definitely!!

Take it easy, and enjoy it! It's much more about getting in the time on your feet as opposed to really pushing the pace.

Monday 5th
    - 10.3 miles - 1:38 hours

Longest run yet :D Yaay!! I have to thank Rainbow Kirby for that - I was sitting on the couch this morning looking at the trees blowing in the wind and thinking that a run along the coast road really wouldn't be fun but I didn't want to have to come back and say I bailed so I sucked it up and went out! Thanks for the motivation RK!! :)

That's a really good run to get under your belt too, and having a 10-miler under your belt means you really should finish the half just fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Monday 5th
    - 10.3 miles - 1:38 hours

Longest run yet :D Yaay!! I have to thank Rainbow Kirby for that - I was sitting on the couch this morning looking at the trees blowing in the wind and thinking that a run along the coast road really wouldn't be fun but I didn't want to have to come back and say I bailed so I sucked it up and went out! Thanks for the motivation RK!! :)

That's great work, well done claralara, you are progressing at a serious rate of knots and are a clear victim of the running bug :)

On the 18th March (3 weeks ago), I wrote this:
    Thursday 18th
    - 9.3k-ish run home from work. Pretty much uphill and the breeze was in my face the whole time. Had to walk for a good kilometre at about the 5k mark - 5o clock coffee probbaly wasn't my greatest idea! :) About 57 minutes. 3minutes longer than my 10k time and 8minutes longer than it took me to run into work last thursday...hmmm interesting.

Oh well! To be honest I was not looking forward to that all day - didn't know what lay ahead of me. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. Just very slow :mad:

And while it doesn't seem so bad, I was not a happy camper!!

Today I ran home from work again - exact same route - this time around it took me 51minutes. No stitch this time; I think I've figured out my breathing and definitely helps to concentrate. My legs were quite tired after 3k or so (probably from Monday's long run) and I thought about stopping and walking but kept focusing the next landmark and it passed.. I'm happy with my progress; I feel a huge difference in the last 3 weeks and it's so motivating! :)

Missed spinning last night for the first tuesday since I turned over my new leaf in January but I couldn't turn down a birthday dinner and my favourite chocolate fudge brownie birthday cake too. :) Did I mention it was my birthday?? Haha!

Heading out for another slap up meal now too...oops!!

Maith an cailín. Happy birthday too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement