Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm gonna bottle it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thursday 8th
    - 9.3k - 51 minutes

I totally forgot when I ran home on wednesday that I had agreed to go for a run with a friend last night. We did the exact same distance that I did on Wednesday in the exact same time. Which is strange as it was a completely different route that she had mapped out around where she lives. Anyway I found it grand going and really enjoyed and she admitted when we got home that she was wrecked and felt like she was slowing me down and couldn't keep up. She's always been fitter than me so I enjoyed hearing that! Ha. She's still a good minute faster on a 5k run but I could feel her lagging once we got a bit further. Ah competition - lovely stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Belated Happy Birthday Claralara :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

claralara wrote: »
    Thursday 8th
    - 9.3k - 51 minutes

I totally forgot when I ran home on wednesday that I had agreed to go for a run with a friend last night. We did the exact same distance that I did on Wednesday in the exact same time. Which is strange as it was a completely different route that she had mapped out around where she lives. Anyway I found it grand going and really enjoyed and she admitted when we got home that she was wrecked and felt like she was slowing me down and couldn't keep up. She's always been fitter than me so I enjoyed hearing that! Ha. She's still a good minute faster on a 5k run but I could feel her lagging once we got a bit further. Ah competition - lovely stuff!!

Nice! I've had that before, running with a friend who ran at inter-state level in the US. When I started running she was barely getting out of breath and trotting along nice and easily, after a while it was me pushing her on and wanting to run further than she was able for - admittedly it had been about 5 years since she had trained properly for running but I take my victories where I can get them!!

Absolutely!! Small victories FTW! Ha, I'm still mildly gloating...

Friday 9th
    - Rest

Saturday 10th
    - 60 minute spinning
    - upper body weights
    Made an executive decision not to go for the LSR today for variety of reasons. I hadn't done weights in over a week and running unfortunately doesn't get rid of bingo wings :) Also had blisters on my feet from new work shoes yesterday... Total workout lasted an hour and a half so it was a decent enough substitute for the long run I think. Have a few 9/10ks planned for next week so that should keep the monthly goal distance ticking over.

Sunday will be a hungover rest day...:D I think tonight may be a wine and cocktail sausage filled binge fest.. Still haven't touched a crisp since lent!!!

Oh and serious best wishes for everyone in Connemara this weekend.

Great weather for it and I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR!!!

Good luck and enjoy!

As expected I could barely remove myself from the couch to turn on the TV yesterday never mind go running.. Reading all the Conn reports made me feel a little :o

Monday
    Was supposed to go to the gym for weights and spinning but decided to go for a little run instead.
    - 5.77k - 28.30 - pushed my speed a little tonight now that I've gotten some sort of control over the stitches. Was tough but enjoyable. I should really go up to the gym now and hit the weights for half an hour... I don't know if I'm bothered.

Plan for tuesday was to run to work but a toffee incident last night is sending me to the dentist at 8am to have a tooth repaired. Oops.. So I've packed my bag and mapped a 5mile run by the canal that I'm going to do at lunchtime tomorrow instead. Ugh what's happening to me?! Ha!

Tuesday 13th
    - 5 miles – 42 minutes.
    Walked for a couple of minutes as an “incoming stitch” alarm went off after about 35 minutes. It was very warm and I now have a face full of freckles to show for my lunch hour. It was really nice to get out and clear the head in the middle of the day too – I’ll be doing that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Hey, enjoying reading ur blog as im doing similar training myself for the half marathon in kildare in may, with the plan to go onto the dublin city marathon in october! Well done on ur times, cos while i'm a little further ahead with the distance of the long slow runs, (up to 12 miles) my times are all a fair bit slower! doing the 10k on sunday in phoenix park so will be glad to have a bearing of my 10k pace then, i hope to do it sub 55mins, but it could be very tight! Anyway, just wanted to say keep up the good work cos u certainly seem to be flying it!

Cheers for the support Dublinrunner. I’m really enjoying it; I can get quite stubborn when I set a goal and say it to other people. Wouldn’t want to look like a failure! Well done on your long run, I was hoping to get 11 miles this weekend but I don’t think I will. Hopefully next week though. When is your half? I think it’ll be a few years before DCM for me but it’s certainly a long term goal! Best of luck on Sunday – I’m sure sub55 will be no bother to you. Let me know how it goes! :)

Wednesday 14th
    - Rest

Thursday 15th
    - 9.3k run home from work – think it took about the same length of time as last week which was 51 minutes. Forgot to hit the stopwatch for about .8k and I got in at 47.40 so I reckon it’d be about the same. Reminding everyone that it’s uphill the whole way out of town… Ahem excuses. I must run in again sometime and see if that time has improved – took about 49minutes the one and only time I did it.

Friday 16th
    - Will be a rest day again!! Maybe a walk to get some air after last night’s dinner and wine. I have just realised how much I eat out and eat in general. I’m a hungry monster. I need my energy though…

Plan for Saturday is LSR but only of about 8miles or so. I’ll be pushed for time so it’ll depend on what time I manage to rise.

Also - I'm up to about 74k for April which is on track for my 110k goal for the month...fingers crossed!! :)

• Advertisement

Wow..won't need my varifocals to read that last post! Ha.

Haha, well at least i didnt have to squint!
    The half marathon im doing is the 9th of may in kildare, a bit fearful really!!
    I think u should aim for the DCM this yr, im tryin to bring as many people down with me as i can!!! And ur well capable by the looks of things, more than me realistically, so go on!!! Commit!! haha!
    Will let ya know how the 10k goes, from the look of the great ireland run forum ill be stuck in a crowd for the first 2 km and then its up hill so im not hoping for much! This is where ur hill work would come in very handy for me!!!!

Speaking of food, i have to say since ive started running regularly ive been eating like theres no tomorrow!! Trying to keep it healthy but i've an awful sweet tooth!! Smoothies are the answer!! and jelly!

Anyway, keep up the good work!!

Oh sweet jesus don't be tempting me to sign up to things like the DCM - let me get through a half first! ;)

Saturday 17th
    - nsLvSR (new lingo - Not So Long Very Slow Run:)) 6.4 miles (c.10.3k) - 62.30minutes.
    As expected the post work farewell drink turned into 2 post work bottles of wine a dirty feed so there was no easrly rise today. However I really enjoyed just faffing along, in my own little world enjoying the sunshine. It was that or Desperate Housewives. Great run, felt strong and definitely could have gone on but strapped for time this evening.

On study leave now for 6 weeks or so so I'll have plenty of time and no excuses to just hit up some training!

Good luck to everyone with Great Ireland tomorrow!

Lazy Sunday 18th watching the Great Ireland Run on tv with sausage rolls and chocolate brownies..:o

Monday 19th
    - Long walk around Killiney Hill and Dún Laoghaire followed by an even longer 10 cups of coffee on the pier in the sun :D

Tuesday 20th - Morning
    - 5.2k run - 26.21. Planned a longer run but I was shattered for some reason so I took a shortcut...

Tuesday 20th - Evening
    - Upper Body Weights Program
    - 45 minute Spinning Class
    Felt a lot better this evening so hit the gym. I've neglected strength for a couple of weeks and it was a great workout. I'm over this morning's disappointment now!

10k planned with my running buddy for tomorrow - looking forward to it. It's nice to have a bit of extra motivation.

Apologies for my rambling sometimes but it's actually really helpful and motivating reading back, remembering how I felt on some runs, seeing progress etc... So I hope I don't bore everyone!:)

Wednesday 20th
    - 5miles / 8k - 41.37.

The planned 10k took a dive after we realised we had walked about 1km talking rubbish and then my mate's calves cramped right up just at the final kilometre so had to hobble her home for ice and tea. Still, it was a satisfying outing, and nice to get out as usual!

Thursday 22nd
    - 3.8k - 19:01

Just went for a quick run around the block while waiting for dinner. Hadn't planned it but knew I'd get my kilometerage (another gem from my homemade dictionary!) up to 100k for the month so far! :D

Just over 101k for April which is 9k off my goal! I said if hit that that I'd join the 2010 mileage challenge... So that's the next step :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Friday 23rd & Saturday 24th
    - REST

Sunday 25th
    - LSR - 10.3miles / 16.6km - 1:37
    Really enjoyable run along the coast road and out the pier. Was very tempted to stop for a Teddy's but we were only halfway at that point... Nothing too exciting to report. Was able to keep a conversatoin going for quite a while which surprised me. I've always been jealous of people who can run and talk at the same time!! :)

Monday 26th
    - Upper Body Weights program - increased everything by a kilo..proper bodybuilding stuff that! :cool:
    - 30 minutes spin class

I've had a lazy couple of days. No gymming or running but a little more walking than normal with the car in for a service..:o

If I put the plan in writing here I'm more likely to remove the rear end from the couch and get out so I'm going to do 5 miles this evening and 11 in the morning before I go away for the weekend.

I'm considering the runkildare half next weekend with a simple goal of running the whole thing and crossing the finish line. Is it silly to just do it off the cuff like that? Should my first half be one that I've been focused on and have a goal time or should it be one to do for fun and see what I'm capable of? I have the laser card in my lámha...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't see the harm in giving it a go. You've done 10+ miles in training, you'll finish no problem, and the Kildare half is a particularly flat course. I reckon just do it for fun and see how you get on - and it's a new PB either way. :)

I think you should just go for it!
    Im doing it and have no intention in getting anywhere near a good time, just plan on trying to enjoy and finish, for me its the distance thats the challenge! Good experience anyway and will be nice to have a benchmark time to improve on....hopefully!:eek:

• Advertisement

I've gone done it now!! A half marathon in 9 days.... this will be interesting! Just going to go out and do it and have some fun!

In other news I didn't get my run in this evening as I got stuck in the office for hours and was out for dinner then. So much for study leave! :mad:

Will definitely be getting out of bed at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a long long run as penance for my bold week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Fair play to you - nothing like committing to a challenge like that to focus the mind!

Best of luck preparing for it, I will follow your progress with interest. You are flying it so far and doing a half two months before you thought you would - impressive stuff!

Friday 30th
    - 12miles - 1:59
    Kinda makes up for not doing anything all week!

137km in April - woohoo!

well done! see u've pretty much done it now, just a repeat performance on sunday week and your laughing! Amazing time too!:)

Right! Time to fess up - I absolutely did the dog on it at the Kinsale 7s over the weekend! Need some serious damage control for the rest of the week. I really hope I haven't ruined my body in advance of Sunday..

Plan for the week is:
    Tuesday - 5miles easy
    Wednesday - 30 minute spinning and upper body weights
    Thursday - 4 miles easy

If there's anything I need to know about what to do or what not to do and what to eat etc for the week, all advice would be a great help. Fingers crossed the voice comes back tonight :eek:

Tuesday 5th
    - 4 easy miles, forgot my watch but I know I wasn't pushing myself.

Last 2 runs have been sans ipod in preparation for sunday; finding it very refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Best of luck in the rest of the preparations, you'll fly it! :)

You've made amazing progress - I'm hoping maybe in 3 or 4 months I might be where you are and doing my first half in October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on claralara, it will be no problem to you girl ;) You've done the miles, so just go and enjoy it on Sunday!

Edited to say, that I agree with you about the ipod, I'm starting to enjoy my runs ipod-less! There was a time I wouldn't/couldn't run without it.

Thursday 6th
    - 5.65 miles - 52.29 - nice and easy

Dozed off on the couch yesterday evening and missed spinning :o so decided to just take it easy and go to bed early. Woke up in the middle of the night and thought my head was going to explode and I was not a happy bunny. Felt a good bit better when I woke up this morning though so decided to just suck it up and go out. If I am coming down with something it's time to nip it in the bud. Hoping I sweated some of it out this morning and I'm off now to dose myself with honey, berocca and vitamins. 3 good nights sleep and 3 good days of healthy eating should have me back on track. That's my lot until sunday now!! I'll be back! Hopefully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with the half marathon claralara. You've definitely put the work in, so go and enjoy the day. Remember to smile as you cross the finish line!

• Advertisement

I'm back... and I'm panicking...

My ankle was a little sore this morning but I wasn't too worried. Went and got an ankle support and a bag of peas as I didn't want to temp fate by ignoring it. I'm now lying on the couch with my leg in the air, strapped up and icing. It's actually not too painful but I'd notice the pressure if I ran up the stairs. I'm worried it won't get better. I'm so annoyed :( I have every finger and toe crossed so please god!

My PMA is still saying I CAN cross the finish line like this :D

Really hope the rest and ice sorts you out. Stay positive!

Get yourself some voltorol gel rub - it's great stuff ;)

Hopefully, with a couple of days rest, it'll be fine again for Sundays run.

Best of luck, not that you'll need it, you've put in the miles, and I have no doubt you'll have a great run!

Best of luck Claralara. If the ankle holds out you'll fly through it. PMA is half the battle and that's something you've got in bucketfuls! :)

So Friday and Saturday were not fun... I spent 2 days hardcore icing in a bucket of ice and freezing water. That plus voltarol and elevation (and the paracetemol from the lemsips I was overdosing on..) did the trick though. Woke up with a Yes feeling this morning. On went the shiny new ankle support and a generous lather of deep heat and I was good to go. :)

It was a great day. Really good atmosphere. Great organisation and a good bit of local support en route. Got a 2 hour pace wristband so I could try attempt that. Managed to stay with the 2 hour pacer (Thank you Mr Red Balloon Man) until mile 6 before I started dropping back. It was slightly more hilly than I was expecting but nothing too hectic at the same time. Fell into pace with a couple of people throughout and had some chats which provided nice breaks and some good motivation. Apolgies to the man with whom I was having a grand ole chat around mile 11 - could feel a stitch coming on and wasn't going to tempt fate at that stage. Gave some camera a grand wave and got called a show off - laughing at that slowed me down a little so that the compliment was returned when the guy who shouted came flying up behind me coming up to mile 12. It was a race to the end then. At the 13mile marker I was gone over 2.04 so I put the foot down to finish under 2.05. Crossed with a :D on my face as instructed.

The ankle niggled on and off but it held up thank god. It's back in a bucket of ice now and should be grand in a couple of days.

Had a delicious Sunday dinner (seconds totally allowed!!) followed by a delicious snickers - I love goody bags. I'll sleep well contented tonight!

Just got a text with official times - check that for service.
    Claralara's first Half Marathon :D
    - Chip time - 2.04.54
    - 10k time - 58.25 (not a pb but wasn't running a 10k!!)

A new and first PB for me. Delighted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations, that's a great run for your first half! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Excellent, well done:D

well done!! kildare town was certainly full of buzz afterwards and i loved that the whole town seemed to get involved!
    Congrats anyway, im off to have a well deserved barbeque now after wishing the sun away all day! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great stuff, wishing now I had run this instead of Wexford last week! You matched my first half-marathon time almost to the second, lots of scope for improvement and you'll get under 2 hours no bother next time :)

• Advertisement

Great result Claralara and it sounds like you really enjoyed it too. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

congrats man, I'd say your very happy with the time

Congratulations claralara! Sounds like you really enjoyed the experience and well done on a great run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats claralara, Well done and great to read your race report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Congrats Claralara - sounds like all your hard work paid off! Fantastic result!

You must be delighted with that run claralara, well done. All your hard work paid off! Enjoy a few rest days, you've deserved them :D

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the good wishes guys. It really was some achievement for me. When I ran the adidas 5 miles last summer I remember hating every second of it and crossing the line at 43 minutes wondering why anyone in their right mind would want to run any longer than that! I gave up the running after that but kind of got egged back into it aaround november when myself and a friend decided to get fit. And now here I am going out on a weekend morning for 1-2 hour runs (either on my own or with someone and with or without music) and really looking forward to them, enjoying them and feeling great afterwards. Who'd have thunk it!!

Yesterday was a great day and I'm delighted I did it. In a little bit of pain all over now but it's good pain. Going to give the ankle some good TLC for the next few days and hopefully it'll strengthen up again. A bucket of ice is my new best friend.

Thanks for all the support on here - I don't think I would have stuck to it had I not started the log! Bring on the next one!! :D

The ankle is not happy :mad:

I can walk (v slowly) on it and there is a good bit of movement in it. It's not swollen or bruised and I'd say it's only a Grade 1 sprain (not the achilles or anything). I think I'll book a physio appointment for tomorrow just for piece of mind - I am worried about doing actual damage.

It's only Wednesday and I feel like I havent done anything in weeks. I'm itching to get out for a run or spinning or something. I must behave!!

claralara wrote: »
    The ankle is not happy :mad:

I can walk (v slowly) on it and there is a good bit of movement in it. It's not swollen or bruised and I'd say it's only a Grade 1 sprain (not the achilles or anything). I think I'll book a physio appointment for tomorrow just for piece of mind - I am worried about doing actual damage.

It's only Wednesday and I feel like I havent done anything in weeks. I'm itching to get out for a run or spinning or something. I must behave!!

I know that feeling. And I misbehaved tonight! I'll probably pay for it tomorrow.

A physio will probably suss out the problem quickly and, like you said, give you piece of mind.

Silver lining: a few days rest is no bad thing after a half marathon, plus you'll come back completely recharged, if not wound up ;)

Just back from physio. I'm glad I went because the worry wasn't worth it. It's nothing serious - the muscles were just very tense and taught and there was a tiny bit of fluid which he squished right away! No running until next weekend but I can go spinning, use the cross trainer, walk properly etc.

So much for using my day off to take a trip to runways for some new shoesies :( That can be next week's treat. Physio recommended Saucony or Mizuno based on my fat yet arched feet so it'll be interesting to see what the lads in the shop have to say.

Plan for the next week will be as follows so:
    Friday: Cross trainer & weights
    Sunday: 45 min spinning & weights
    Tuesday: Cross trainer & weights
    Thursday: 45 min spinning & weights

I have to write it down and commit as I find it much tougher to get the motivation to go to the gym than I do to go for a run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Amphibian King in Bray is another great running shop, and they sell the Mizuno and Saucony range. Glad to hear it's just a minor injury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement