Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gonna bottle it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RubyK wrote: »
    If I'm still running around the streets of Dublin on 27th October, I'll know something has gone very wrong with my training ;):D

Haha! You'd be like Forrest Gump - 'I just felt like runnin' I'm in a braindead mood. Another productive day ahead of me I predict...:rolleyes:

excellent I like to think that people think of me first thing in the morning :) Good stuff though, as I said before sessions like that will bring you on no end. But more importantly sessions like that have to be done consistently. You get the full benefit when you string 6 of them together over a 6-8 week period. Well that's my experience anyway.

It got me out of bed... thats all I'm saying! Ha. I'm hoping the 3 weeks off don't ruin me altogether but I'll keep it consistent until I go away and hopefully get back into it when I'm back without too much pain. I might consider using this session as motivation to get a 50min 10k under my belt before Christmas. The last 10k was 54mins in February but I'd like to think I've improved somewhat since then...maybe not a 4 minute improvement though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Good to see you gave yoga a shot!

I love it for that 'you're not really aware of how hard you're working until the next day' type of feeling. Is also great for stretching out the tight runner's muscles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

dolliemix wrote: »
    Good to see you gave yoga a shot!

I love it for that 'you're not really aware of how hard you're working until the next day' type of feeling. Is also great for stretching out the tight runner's muscles

+1 I'm a yoga fan too. It' s great for pulling all those tight running muscles back into shape!:D

Since last Wednesday my training has been an absolute write off. Throw 4 days of electric picnic and an impending half marathon into the mix and you get a mildly broken and worried claralara… It’s time to crack the whip and cop on! So the next two weeks are planned to within an inch of my life training (and diet) wise. If I don’t get my sub 2 hours, I’ll only have myself to blame!

So from today:-

Tuesday – intervals
    Wednesday – 7 mile run
    Thursday – 5 mile run & strength
    Friday – stretch
    Saturday – 13 mile run
    Sunday – walk / rest

Monday – strength & 30 min spinning
    Tuesday – yoga
    Wednesday – intervals
    Thursday – 3 mile run
    Friday – rest
    Saturday – Adidas Half Marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You'll do the sub 2 hour alright. Life does get in the way sometimes, but you have enough time to get things back to 'normal' :D again for the half.
    Are you going to follow the pacers around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

13 Miles might be a bit much a week before the actual race. Is 13.1 the furthest you have run or have you gone over this distance? If you've only done it once (in your last half marathon) then I would cut the run back to 10-12 miles, and run it at a very handy pace. You don't want to leave all your race on the training field!

jcsmum wrote: »
    You'll do the sub 2 hour alright. Life does get in the way sometimes, but you have enough time to get things back to 'normal' :D again for the half.
    Are you going to follow the pacers around?

Yep I think so, I'm also hoping I'll be in a position to be sent off ahead for the last mile or two. They're high hopes at the minute though. I only managed to hold onto the pacer until mile 6 or so for the half I did in May. We'll see! Are you going to follow the pacers?
    13 Miles might be a bit much a week before the actual race. Is 13.1 the furthest you have run or have you gone over this distance? If you've only done it once (in your last half marathon) then I would cut the run back to 10-12 miles, and run it at a very handy pace. You don't want to leave all your race on the training field!

Krusty I know you're right about this alright. It was my panic this morning when I realised I had less than 2 weeks to sort it out. A very handy 11miles on saturday so - only a minor change to the dictatorship I'm embarking on!

Tuesday 7th September
    - 1.3k warm up
    - 6 X 500 (& 500m recovery between each one)
    - 1.3k cool down
    Total: 8.6k - 50mins

Actually felt surprisingly motivated to go out and great setting off. The first 3 intervals were great. Though I was feeling the legs tire out at the end of #3. Got a bit of a stitch recovering before #4 so walked the first half of it. Same again before #5 and walked about 100m. #6 felt great again so I did the first 400m at roughly 5k pace. And then an easy 900m cool down back home. A little stretch and mum's delicious chicken curry and I'm feeling a lot better than I was this morning thank god!

claralara wrote: »
    Yep I think so, I'm also hoping I'll be in a position to be sent off ahead for the last mile or two. They're high hopes at the minute though. I only managed to hold onto the pacer until mile 6 or so for the half I did in May. We'll see! Are you going to follow the pacers?

If you are going to make a run for it :D, you'd be best to do it in the last mile, the second last is uphill. Spoke with menoscemo who is one of the 2.00 pacers on the day and that is what he suggested.
    Then again, maybe you'll speed off well before the hill! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, the second-last mile is out of the Furry Glen, towards the Knockmaroon Gate. Haven't raced that route since the Great ireland Run, but it was a real killer then - you run down into the glen, but through the trees ahead you can see the line of people going up the hill, and your heart just sinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jcsmum wrote: »
    If you are going to make a run for it :D, you'd be best to do it in the last mile, the second last is uphill. Spoke with menoscemo who is one of the 2.00 pacers on the day and that is what he suggested.
    Then again, maybe you'll speed off well before the hill! :)

Yeah either that or you could speed off once we get up the Kyber pass. That will be after about 8.5 miles (I think) and there is a nice 3 mile (slightly down hill) stretch before we hit the next hills at the Glenn rd. Doing this should ensure that if the pacers catch up again you just have to hang on. After getting out of the Glenn Rd the last mile is a synch, so anyone still with the group at this stage should easily make the target.

Edit: Just checked the Half Mara map; we hit the top of the Kyber on 8 miles and we hit the Glenn road from 10.5-11.5 miles (approx). So either head off at mile 8 nice and steady or else just after we come out of the lwr glenn rd (just beside the Knockmarron Gate). if youse are not feeling great on the day just cling onto the group for dear life:p

Speed off after 8 miles! I don't think so :D
    Then again who knows. I think I might stay til the top of the hill and just go for the last mile. IF I can.

I thought that hill was at mile 11 and that if I hung on until there I might have a chance to hit the jets for the last 2... I'm reconsidering that plan.. And as for shooting off at mile 8 - I guarantee that a very noisy ambulance would be shoving you lot out of the way on its way to scrape me off the Glenn road!! Although if someone were to tell me I couldn't do it...;) Sure we'll see how the next 10 days go.

Wednesday 8th September
    - 6.9 miles - 59.31

This was supposed to be 7 miles easy. I had to get 5 blood tests done after work so I was reconsidering the whole way home just going out easy for half an hour or whatever I could manage. I'd usually feel a bit weak after blood tests but as the doc said - it's only ever the men that faint :D
    I started a bit quickly for an easy run - dare I say that the 3 interval sessions I've done would be having an effect already?! Maybe they're just helping with my fear of running fast and getting stitches. I was feeling pretty good so just kept with the pace as much as possible. After 3 miles home was a right turn but I kept taking 'just one more little left turn to make up a few hundred metres'... Ended up getting almost 7 miles in in the end so that was great. Happy with that time and length for me. My first LSR was 6 miles that took just over an hour and I thought about every footstep and every minute along the way - now 6 miles is a quick bash around the block in the lashing rain after a days work and a few blood tests..who'd have thought! :)

RayCun wrote: »
    you run down into the glen, but through the trees ahead you can see the line of people going up the hill, and your heart just sinks.

I remember having a similar experience in the 10 miler - yuck! I made sure to look behind me as I was going down the hill ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    just cling onto the group for dear life:p

My motto for the day - I might print it on a t-shirt!

I must learn how to quote different messages in one post!!

Great running yesterday! And after blood tests! :eek:

Thursday 9th September
    - Was supposed to do 5miles but had to get vaccinations for hols after work so gave it a miss...

Friday 10th September
    - This was supposed to be a rest day but after missing yesterday I really wanted to get out. I think the bug that I had a couple of months ago but which disappeared after the injury has finally reared its ugly head again...yaay! :) I wasn't going to do the whole 5 miles in advance of tomorrow's LSR but I pulled the same trick as wednesday and kept taking turns in the opposite direction to home. It was absolutely pouring down but I put the cap to keep the running mascara from stinging my eyes and the lidl rain coat on and headed off.
    - 5miles - about 44mins
    - 2scoops of ben & jerry's - about 34 seconds

Despite the entertainment of running in that torential rain (the looks people give are hilarious!), I really hope it's not that bad in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great to see some good training going on in here claralara! Looking forward to your successful race report after the half next week ;)

On that note - I get so frustrated every time I see your log because the title drives me mad!! I know it's kind of ironic now cos we all know there's no bottling it going on in here, but every time I see it I wanna come in here and remind you that you're not going to!

There, finally done it :pac:

Haha! May you sleep well tonight with that off your chest. :D

It does also refer to the feeling I always get after a good run though - I'd love to be able to bottle that to remind myself to haul ass on those days that i'm searching for any miserable excuse not to go out.

I'm sorry if I've been responsible for any fists through your computer screen ;)

Saturday 11th September
    - 11.06miles - 1:42:43

When I was hoping for no thundering rain showers last night, I didn't think to wish for no sun or wind too! It was roasting this morning. First 3 miles up to Lamb Doyles were a little mingin, didn't notice the time going by until I found myself at the bottom of the Dundrum bypass with the Sandyford Road stretching UP ahead of me. I was dreading it but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. 2 or 3 flat miles home after that. I have to admit though I was absolutely knackered for the last mile. It took a little willpower to keep going. Done and done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Haha! May you sleep well tonight with that off your chest. :D

It does also refer to the feeling I always get after a good run though - I'd love to be able to bottle that to remind myself to haul ass on those days that i'm searching for any miserable excuse not to go out.

I'm sorry if I've been responsible for any fists through your computer screen ;)

I like your explanation better than my reading of it! No broken screens, although would have been funny if I used that as an excuse yesterday in work when I showed up with a broken laptop ;) No fear of breaking the new one now so...

Well done on the LSR.
    When I was hoping for no thundering rain showers last night, I didn't think to wish for no sun or wind too! It was roasting this morning.

Isn't it funny that we're never satisfied with the weather...I think that's an irish compliant!:D

xebec wrote: »
    I like your explanation better than my reading of it! No broken screens, although would have been funny if I used that as an excuse yesterday in work when I showed up with a broken laptop ;) No fear of breaking the new one now so...

Haha, I can imagine it now - "sorry boss, some chick I've never met before has no faith in her abilities and it cuts me right there... I'm sure boards.ie will pay to have my laptop repaired"

Oh Emer don't get me started on this weather at the minute. I've been caught out in the sun in a raincoat and cap and then in torrential rain in shorts and a string top! Quel disastre! Ha, that and I love a good moan :D

Sunday 12th September
    - Was supposed to be a rest day...so I cycled out to Enniskerry with a friend and had lunch in Powerscourt..:rolleyes: It was so nice out though and the first sunday morning that I woke with a clear head - it would have been rude to waste it! It was only about a 25k round trip but it's a tough ole cycle nonetheless.

Yeah, quit with the negativity, you're doing great. Now change the title of your log. I will have to aswell seeing as I've signed up for the BIG one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Totally blonde q (and yep I'm blonde so only insulting myself!) but how do you change the title of your log. Tried changing mine but couldn't figure out how so hence my new log!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    Totally blonde q (and yep I'm blonde so only insulting myself!) but how do you change the title of your log. Tried changing mine but couldn't figure out how so hence my new log!!

PM a mod and they should be able to sort it.

Yep a mod will hook you up with a new name. :)

I'm mildly entertained to see how upsetting the title of my log is to you optimistic lot. For those of you who missed my random impulsive jaunt into mountain running a few weeks back, I changed the name of my log for reasons quoted below. I'll try come up with something new and better on saturday when I have 1 hour and 58 minutes alone in my head to think... That positive enough for yee?! ;)
    I’m gonna bottle it…
    New name for the log to reflect both how I’ve been feeling pre training and racing and post training and racing for the last few weeks – most particularly around the Duathlon last week and the antics of last night. It’s that feeling of “Dear God what am I doing? I am not going to be able to complete *; at least not in one piece. But I can’t pull out now because I’ve been shooting my mouth off about * ever since I registered…” (I’m gonna bottle it…and bail out) combined with the feeling of “I am so glad I went ahead with *. I’m still alive and I feel great. I didn’t win anything or come anywhere near it but I had so much fun and what an atmosphere…” (I’m gonna bottle it… and remember this feeling the next time I’m lacking motivation or feeling terrified about crashing and burning). I just have to figure out how to edit the log name now...

And sure I’ve done 10k to HM and beyond now so I might as well...

Anyway back to today:
    Monday 13th September
    - 35 min spinning -my legs were tired :( Was stuck in work late so didn't get up in time to do my weights. Which also meant I had dinner a lot later than usual and a lot closer to spinning time. This resulted in a very green and nauseas claralara leaving the gym. Not my greatest effort.

I'm wondering how to go about the rest of the week now...will see how the legs feel tomorrow I suppose.

I'm really tired... :( Would a big dinner, an early night and an easy 4miles in the morning be the best call? I really don't think I can go out now..

I'm really tired... :( Would a big dinner, an early night and an easy 4miles in the morning be the best call? I really don't think I can go out now..

You know best. If your body needs the rest then take it!
    ...as long as you're not just being lazy!?!? :P

• Advertisement

No I really promise I wasn’t being lazy!! I genuinely felt wrecked with a thundering headache. Ended up in bed by 9.15 and was asleep before my head hit the pillow. I had a bottle of water before I went to sleep in case it was dehydration. Eventually got up after pressing snooze about a million times this morning and only had a dull headache. I felt like I really had to go out so I just went out with no route, distance or time planned – except that I had to be home to get ready for work! I actually felt alright and I think I’ll leave it at that until Saturday now. I really hope I’m not coming down with something. Fingers crossed.

Tuesday 14th September
    - Rest

Wednesday 15th September
    - 4.35miles – 39.56

Advertisement