Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gonna bottle it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

We're so tough with our early morning running in that wind! :) Surely it will stand to us next Saturday.

I'm going to do a short run again tomorrow and then leave it til Saturday. See you there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

New PB :D 1.58.49!! Menoscemo and Racoon Queen are my new favourite peoples! Thanks so much guys :)

Race report to follow from a hungover bed tomorrow!! I am so looking forward to tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

claralara wrote: »
    New PB :D 1.58.49!! Menoscemo and Racoon Queen are my new favourite peoples! Thanks so much guys :)

Race report to follow from a hungover bed tomorrow!! I am so looking forward to tonight :D

2 seconds between us. Don't know how we didn't get to chat through it.

Bring on tonight is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done, delighted for you! Sorry for trying to get you to talk coming out of the furry glen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Well done Claralara, congrats, looking forward to reading your report.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done super running, knew you'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on a super run! :D
    Roll on DCM?!

2 seconds between us. Don't know how we didn't get to chat through it.

Bring on tonight is right.

We were probably side by the side for the whole thing! I was really concentrating on not forgetting to breath though so I was doing much talking. Plenty of listening though! I'm a nosy little fecker!!

God I've been dreading writing this all day - I think I killed every intelligible cell my brain possessed last nigh so don't waste your time reading on if you've something important to do... like watching paint dry! :rolleyes:

So yesterday went swimmingly! The goal was 2 hours, the chip time was 1.58.49 which was mostly as a result of the excellent job done by the pacers. I was on driver duty yesterday morning and managed to underestimate how long it would take me to get to my friend's house so we were running a little later than planned. Had to leg it by the start line to the baggage drop and then back to the 2nd pen. Nipped in at the very front (cheeky move!) beside the balloons but I was too shy to introduce myself... I had said that if I managed to keep with them until 6 miles that I'd pipe up then. To be honest, I haven't much exciting to report. I didn't notice the first 6 miles slipping by. Was just enjoying the scenery and concentrating on sitting on the pacers' shoulders. I was also loving listening to RQ's ultra marathon story telling which kept me distracted. I couldn't believe when RQ shouted at the halfway mark so I decided to man up and introduce myself at that time. Probably the most random introduction and handshake I've ever had - halfway through running a half marathon to people I've gotten to know through a top secret online running club! Haha. It was a good point to make myself known though because I was starting to need the extra push. The dreaded hill was not as dreadful as I was expecting and menoscemo's attempt at convincing me it was actually flat helped the struggle alot! I can't remember exactly when I started to feel **** but I think it was around mile 11 or so. I was awful company and could only focus on breathing and not vomming. I knew I should really be making an effort to push on and the guys were really encouraging but I just didn't think it'd end well if I took off at that point. I felt like the most special girl in the race with my very own personal pacer for that horrible mile or so then. Menoscemo was an absolute angel and he ordered me off on my merry way for the last mile when I was feeling better again so I managed to pick it up a little for the end on my own. Absolutely pounded the last 400m as per pacers' orders! Felt grand after, not sore or too wrecked - spent the afternoon eating cake at my 12 year old cousin's birthday party - the most deserved slice of cake (or 3!!) I've ever eaten!

I actually can't remember enough to write a blow by blow, mile by mile account - but the general jist is that I had great morning, hit the target, banked a PB and can't wait for the next one! :D

I just spent all evening packing for the hols and I'm proper knackered now. I'm dreading rolling home unfit and obese in 3 weeks.. Hopefully I won't do too much damage but I don't hold too much hope for that. I wonder will I be able to run 10 metres without passing out when I get back... I'm going to need a new goal to focus on when I get back. I'm not sure what I'll aim for yet but I'm open to suggestions and have a very rubber elbow!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done Clara Lara! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Congrats clara lara, well done on the PB.
    I'm sure there's room in the suit case for a tech tee, a pair of shorts and light trainers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the half clara, you must be delighted!

Hope you have a fantastic time in South America! I'd love to be you :) Enjoy every minute of it.

Delighted for you! :D So sorry we didn't get to meet up, I was up chatting to fellow boardsies for about 10mins before the race. Sorry we didn't get to meet, but we will.......

Macanri wrote: »
    Congrats clara lara, well done on the PB.
    I'm sure there's room in the suit case for a tech tee, a pair of shorts and light trainers :)

How sure are you... It's pretty heavy. And I'm pretty lazy. :rolleyes: God I'm kind of considering it though. I only have my big clunker trainers but I could probably pick something light up on the cheap over there. Although there are only 2 of us going and my buddy bailed out of the half at 8 miles on saturday so I don't know how well that would go down... We'll be renting bikes and cycling around Rio and BA so that'd be something!
    RubyK wrote: »
    Well done on the half clara, you must be delighted!

Hope you have a fantastic time in South America! I'd love to be you :) Enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks a mil, I'm delighted with the half alright. Sooo excited to head off now!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Delighted for you! :D So sorry we didn't get to meet up, I was up chatting to fellow boardsies for about 10mins before the race. Sorry we didn't get to meet, but we will.......

We certainly will. Name the date and the place. Not DCM 2010 though! I'll be a spectator and no more at that...

Just got my final exam results and I PASSED! Yaay! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So you're off to Argentina and Brazil?
    I was over there last year. BA is a wonderful city and the weather should be nice and mild this time of year (I went in January and it was roasting). I guess you'll be visiting the Iguazu Falls? Absolutely Spectacular! It's really worth getting the boat in under the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Double congrats for the exams and the run. Enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Well done on the exams and have a great holiday.

Think I remember someone shaking menoscemo's hand at around mile 7? White top/Black shorts?

Well done on the exams and have a great holiday.

Think I remember someone shaking menoscemo's hand at around mile 7? White top/Black shorts?

White top / black leggings? Beautiful? Ran like a prize winning gazelle?! :rolleyes: Yep that was me.. Haha. Now I'm trying to figure out who you might be!!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    So you're off to Argentina and Brazil?
    I was over there last year. BA is a wonderful city and the weather should be nice and mild this time of year (I went in January and it was roasting). I guess you'll be visiting the Iguazu Falls? Absolutely Spectacular! It's really worth getting the boat in under the water.

Yep, we're heading off tomorrow for 3 weeks. Flying into Rio and out of Bunos Aires. Have accommodation booked for the first 3 nights in Rio and the last 6 in Buenos and in between we'll be playing it by ear! The weather seems pretty nice at the minute - like a good day here so that's perfect. If you think of anything else I should know, feel free to pass it on! :)

Tuesday 21st
    Pressed snooze far too many times this morning so no run for me...:o

Have a great holiday. We'll miss you around here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running Clara; well done on PB and exams :D.

Now go and enjoy the holiday - seriously jealous :p

• Advertisement

I’m back! I managed to eat and drink my way around Brazil and Argentina and among the things I’ve brought home is a spare tyre around the mid-section…:o It was so worth it though!

I happened to bump into a friend from home who was running the marathon in Buenos Aires on Sunday morning so I went to watch that. It was amazing standing at the finish line watching everyone. Seeing my mate finish really really planted seeds in my impressionable head… So I’m marathoning next year for definite! :eek:

I haven’t had a chance to see how everyone got on in Berlin so looking forward to a catch up over the weekend. I hope it went well for everyone.

Not sure how I’m going to get back into it now but will take it easy for the next few days – I am so wrecked after the last 36 hours travelling so I need to recover. I’ll get thinking about the next plan over the weekend.

Oh I had a lovely present on my desk when I got into work this morning – a couple of colleagues had entered me into the Waterford Half Marathon in December. My mouth said ‘why thank you’ and smiled, my face said ‘you have 3 seconds to stop laughing before I box you!’.

I’m back! I managed to eat and drink my way around Brazil and Argentina and among the things I’ve brought home is a spare tyre around the mid-section…:o It was so worth it though!

I happened to bump into a friend from home who was running the marathon in Buenos Aires on Sunday morning so I went to watch that. It was amazing standing at the finish line watching everyone. Seeing my mate finish really really planted seeds in my impressionable head… So I’m marathoning next year for definite! :eek:

I haven’t had a chance to see how everyone got on in Berlin so looking forward to a catch up over the weekend. I hope it went well for everyone.

Not sure how I’m going to get back into it now but will take it easy for the next few days – I am so wrecked after the last 36 hours travelling so I need to recover. I’ll get thinking about the next plan over the weekend.

Oh I had a lovely present on my desk when I got into work this morning – a couple of colleagues had entered me into the Waterford Half Marathon in December. My mouth said ‘why thank you’ and smiled, my face said ‘you have 3 seconds to stop laughing before I box you!’.

Horay, she's back!!
    Glad you had a good time, we're all going through taper madness here, 10 more days!!
    Good luck reading through the logs! :D

It's gonna take me an absolute age to get up to date in here. For now though I have to finish unpacking...pain!

Sunday 17 October
    Body Pump Class - 60 mins - Good god, I have seriously broken myself. This was hell! Just about got through it - at the very least it was a kick in rear end to get back on track.

8 weeks to Waterford Half - no idea what I'm letting myself in for. Havent even looked at the website!

Run number 1 tomorrow - just going to go for 50/60mins and see how it goes. I'm being very reluctant to organise a plan for myself...I will tomorrow though. I will..

I'm being harrassed to commit to Connemara - I've said yes to the Half for sure but the harrassers are not happy with that. The potential outcome of the peer pressure scares me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck getting stuck back into it Claralara. I'll probably end up doing the half in Connemara myself again next year. So you're doing the full then :D best get running up those hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great to see you back and running! Good luck tomorrow. I bet you'll really enjoy it! I spent two weeks in Buenos AIres three years ago and loved it. I felt like I was surrounded by 10,000 Jose Mourinho look alikes - bliss! :)

Hope you enjoyed the steak and red wine there!

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck getting stuck back into it Claralara. I'll probably end up doing the half in Connemara myself again next year. So you're doing the full then :D best get running up those hills!

Ok I've decided to stick with the half - I don't want my first marathon experience to make me never want to do another!! So I'll see you there!! Do you need to register quite soon actually?
    dolliemix wrote: »
    Great to see you back and running! Good luck tomorrow. I bet you'll really enjoy it! I spent two weeks in Buenos AIres three years ago and loved it. I felt like I was surrounded by 10,000 Jose Mourinho look alikes - bliss! :)

Hope you enjoyed the steak and red wine there!

Had an amazing time, it's savage over there! Far too much steak and red wine. Which is haunting me with every overweight step I take! Be back on track soon hopefully!!

Monday 18th October
    I didn’t get out of work until almost 9 last night having been in since 7 and had horrible DOMS from Sunday’s pump so I was not feeling a run. Ended up playing a game of squash with one of the lads from the office instead. To say my racket skills leave a lot to be desired is an understatement…:rolleyes:. It was a good way of venting for a change anyway!

Tuesday 19th October
    4.34 miles – 40 mins – still in quite a bit of pain this morning but I had to get my ass out running again. It actually wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, just quite slow. Easily could have kept going but at that pace who couldn’t! Anyway at least I’ve done it now.

Just under 8 weeks until Waterford. Going to jump into week 5 of Hal’s intermediate plan and maybe swap one run during the week for spinning just to keep it interesting. (And maybe to have an excuse not to go out in the cold weather if I’m feeling sorry for myself…) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Welcome back, sounds like you had an amazing time in South America :D I'd love to get there some day.

Best of luck with the training for Waterford, it'll be no problem to you at all. You're after getting back into the swing of things very fast! Fair dues to you :) The course is very fair, I think you will really enjoy it. There should be a nice crowd doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome back to the lovely autumn weather in Ireland and hope you had a ball on hols.

Good luck with training plan for waterford and see you there!

Wednesday 20th October
    - Unscheduled rest day as a result of a 13 hour day in work (poor me:rolleyes:). I’m going to have to start thinking ahead and have a supply of work clothes / running gear in the office because it’s looking like I’m going to have long long days for the next few months. Tear.

Thursday 21st October
    - 5.39 miles – 47mins – it took every ounce of willpower to go out for this run. I think it’s going to take a week or two (at least!) to get back into this running lark properly. I did feel great when after it though – I do really wish I could bottle that feeling!!

There is some very important eating and drinking to be taken care of tonight so it'll
    be another lazy day (easing myself back into it is an understatement...). 8/9 slow miles tomorrow definitely though.

• Advertisement

I am a terrible terrible human being…I’ve been dreading fessing up to my absence along the marathon route yesterday but it’s time.. I wanted to come up with a good excuse like ‘the dog ate my homework’ but I just couldn’t!! Right, so I spent about 2 hours with my sister on Sunday afternoon making my motivational poster with all the best intentions in the world of being in town at 8am on Monday morning. At approximately 5pm on Sunday evening a phonecall and an invitation to a party outside the pale twisted my rubber elbow and ruined every plan I had for a well behaved bank holiday Sunday night. I ended up in the middle of nowhere with a very rowdy bunch and far far too much booze. Result: I got home at about sunset yesterday with a very sore head and a bag of chips under my arm. I’m not proud of myself… Worse thing was that I had left my lovely poster by the front door so it was the first thing I saw when I got home… oops! :mad: I should take a photo of it and post it on here! (It's kind of funny though isn't it...:rolleyes:)

Anyway I’m seriously proud of everyone that took part – delighted for all of you and looking forward to catching up on everyone’s race reports. Congratulations to all. I'll get to y'all individually if I manage to get home today! :)

In other news and actually referring to my log – I did manage to get in a run on Sunday too. The longest since before holidays – 9.35 miles in 1:25. My body felt ok but my head was not cooperating. It was such a battle not to stop or take a short cut for pretty much most of my run. I’m going to have to give the nay-sayer in my head a good talking to!

Advertisement