Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Fighters XIII discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You're quite right you won't see many streams and big tournaments for those games, which reinforces my point.

SF4 revived Street Fighter, other fighting franchises were hanging in there with their handful of dedicated fans and they aren't much better off now.

Except Mortal Kombat and Marvel sold bucket loads, and there's more releases in the next year than probably since the ninties, and all those fighting games appear on the streams that Sf tends to headline.

Again even locally, look at CxC and Day of Champions. Multi event tournaments with SF involved.

Off the top of my head I have spent money on hundreds of FGs, but I would have spent zero and probably would still be spending zero if not for the influence of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Or people who prefer actually playing, over watching others play.

Which is provided in Spectator mode.

SSFIV has two separate ways to play one on one.

Ranked (esp w/ fight request)

or

Casual in a 2 man lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Some Flame Iori combos.

And for those of you not going to CXC3, there'll be a stream here from 3pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Fair enough it has given them mainstream attention again which is helping sales, but does selling loads of MK an MvC to casuals while only SF4 gets any amount of serious play constitute reviving the genre?

Honestly it's helped a bit but I think the benefit to other games is really overstated.

On Topic: KoF, **** yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fair enough it has given them mainstream attention again which is helping sales, but does selling loads of MK an MvC to casuals while only SF4 gets any amount of serious play constitute reviving the genre?
    Now you're just being blind.
    Or a Japanophile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It was also, you know, the game that brought fighting games back from the edge and facilitated the existence of games like KoFXIII as a proof of concept.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was only saying the reason vanilla didn't have spectator mode was because it only had 2 player lobbies. I loved 2 player lobbies. I still hate anything more than 2 people in a lobby! I wasn't making some weird comment that SF4 is crap? I'm so confused :(

2 player lobbies still exist in SSFIV !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

2 player lobbies still exist in SSFIV !!!!!!!

Yeah but you have to change settings and stuff. Effort man, effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Regardless of all this SFIV talk, KOF XIII is still using the horrible looking effects from XII and the nostalgic traditional ugly red flash at the end of a match.

That alone could put me off getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Although apparently the new netcode they are using for the new releases of the old KOF games is really good. And said netcode will be in XIII.

• Advertisement

"Hello me, meet the real me..."

the nostalgic traditional ugly red flash at the end of a match.

Still an improvement over 96-2002, where it happened any time a round was won with a special or super move. Will never understand why they did that.

Today is the day the game comes out in North America. Some of the latest KOF XIII news:

- There's now a KOF XIII guide on the SRK wiki: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII
    - http://www.youtube.com/user/HardEdgeOfficial are putting up videos of each character's trials.
    - SRK have also posted a highly positive review of the game: http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/22/king-of-fighters-xiii-snk-playmore-gets-it-right/
    - And of course, there's the launch tournament I'm organising here in Belfast this Saturday (the day after the European release).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Will be getting this next month and actually give the game a srs go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Team K', Kula, Saiki.
    Just three more days. :D

have you ***** seen that chinese kof knock off?

Looks like they lifted the engine from kof XIII in its entirity. (plus a stage from metal slug)

Need to get them working on sonic 4, with a sonic 3 rom to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

I am dead king of king of fighter series --:)

dead one wrote: »
    I am dead king of king of fighter series --:)

It's not often we see you outside of the religion section!

It's not often we see you outside of the religion section!
    Doctor DooM, You want me to post outside religion, right-- I have wasted my life on games -- life is also a game, you are its player, but in the games of life, there is no second chance. You can't restart this game of life, that's the restriction in game of life. In the game of life, you win, you win, you lose, you lose -- So make the decisions wisely

There was no match against me in king of fighter series -- Kof 1994, kof1995, kof 1996, kof 1997, kof 1998, kof 1999, kof 2000, kof 2001, kof 2002, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

deadman is ggpo king

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    deadman is ggpo king
    ggpo doesn't create kings, It creates:-
    1 queen
    2 rooks
    3 bishops
    4 knights
    5 pawns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

WAT

Well, this threads taken a turn for the interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Well, this threads taken a turn for the interesting

I seriously question your definition of "interesting"

This must be what it feels like to listen to our tournament commentary when you're not in on any of the in-jokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Well, I'm not gonna BUY the game.
    That would require money.
    But...

More importantly, is that Butt in the background?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I am still disappointed that SNK respects plot continuity in their fighting games.

Rugal can't be playable, because he's canonically dead.

I am still disappointed that SNK respects plot continuity in their fighting games.

Rugal can't be playable, because he's canonically dead.

Every few years they do a "dream battle" KoF which is out of continuity with the other KoF's (which are technically out of continuity with the FF and Art of Fighting games which exist in their own continuity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Xtravision arent stocking this either. Looks like they are sending it out to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

More importantly, is that Butt in the background?!
    Marco Rodriguez is a student of Kyogugen Karate, so yes.

Advertisement