Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovable cat free to a good home

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

We unfortunately have to give away our cat Bernard due to the impending arrival of our first born.

He is 7 months old, has been neutered and has all vaccinations/documentation.

He is extremely affectionate, fun loving, and ginger.:D

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Plenty of people have cats and babies... Are you certain you can't keep it?

(the cat, that is!)

We have two cats and they've been no bother with our baby, just takes a bit of vigilance and nowadays they are more wary of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Same as Mike, our cat is very good with our 2 children.
    Cat's don't suffer the arrival of a new baby in the same way dogs do. Our dog was fine until our first started to crawl, then he showed his teeth at her a few times. He is living happily with the in-laws :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

JandS wrote: »
    Hi all,

We unfortunately have to give away our cat Bernard

Classic cat name. V funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i hate cats, at least if u die in a room with a dog the dog wont eat u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

i hate cats, at least if u die in a room with a dog the dog wont eat u

I believe its written in latin above the gates at Battersea Dogs Home. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

back on topic...

As some other posters here, we had 2 cats, now sadly just one....the cats have never caused any real issues with the kids. The arrival of the first kid did stress one of the cats out...that lasted two weeks.

The cats never slept in any of the kids beds...they were quickly trained not to be up on and kitchen worktops...and a bit of vigilance on cleaning doesn't go amiss.

It would be sad to see a pet given up for this reason.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

I know with a new baby you must have concern but if your cat is a loveable nice cat that should not change. it would be terrible to have to give up your pet. Also if someone in the estate takes your cat it will find its way home. Just give the cat a chance and see how it works out. Our cat is like a kid for us so when my real baby turns up it will have to respect its older cat brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

Hi all,

Thanks for all the wonderful and useful posts, and advice.

It’s great to see that nobody actually answered the actual question I posed.

Instead, you thought it would be useful to provide advice on how babies are great with cats etc. This was in fact, not useful at all, and has rendered my original post useless.:mad:

We are well aware of the myths surrounding babies and cats.

If you must know, we have two cats. We will be keeping one cat. However we can foresee that two cats and a baby will be two much to cope with; hence, the post.

So, if anyone who is actually interested in giving Bernard a new home, can you please PM me.

If anyone else wishes to contribute their two cents on cats, babies, dogs, ice cream, or the general wonderment of mankind, please start a new thread.

J

@JandS

get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

cats look after themselves, all you need to do is feed them and let them out. More than likely though you will have to bring it to the pound, where in most cases if they're not adopted within a period of time they will be put down.

Id say youll be hard pushed to find someone here who will take it, you could however put an add on adverts.ie or buyandsell.ie and someone may take it.

Hi Matt,

I got out of the right side of the bed this morning.

However, people giving their two cents without knowing the full story annoys me, as I'm sure it would annoy many people.

Seeing as you know so much about cats, do you want a cat?

• Advertisement

nope thankts, 1 cos i live in an apartment and i don't think its fair and 2, because i hate cats.

best of luck tho trying to find a home for it though and best of luck to you and your other half, hope she's feline ok.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

hope bernard finds a nice home for himself.

Thanks SeanyBiker - we do too.

So Matt, you hate cats, but you thought it would be a useful contribution to give us your recommendations?

ps - that pun on feline was cat-astrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

However, people giving their two cents without knowing the full story annoys me, as I'm sure it would annoy many people.

You asked for help giving away a cat, people were just trying to help by telling you that you don't need to just give it away because it became inconvenient for you. The poor cat is only 7 months old, will be separated from the other cat you have and just given away. Why did you get 2 cats in the first place if you aren't going to take care of them both? I hope Bernard finds a new home for his sake, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Do you have any pics of Bernard?

Thanks SeanyBiker - we do too.

So Matt, you hate cats, but you thought it would be a useful contribution to give us your recommendations?
    yes, i gave you sound advice to help you get rid of the cat.

provided several options

here i found this:http://cats.oodle.ie/all/dublin-area/

the first add is a missing cat in wicklow, maybe you could call them and ask them would they like a new one?

or you could post an add here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

pm me your number or email and i'll pass it on x

Obviously I am fighting a losing battle here. So here is the full story:

We are also looking at moving apartment closer to my work (as currently I don’t get home to Greystones until about 7.30pm and the baby will be asleep).

When we move apartment, it’s very likely we won’t be able to keep either cat.

We are looking to re-home Bernard (not "get rid" of him) to an experienced cat lover. We are very fond of Bernard and it is very disappointing for us to have to give him away.

As he is the newest arrival, it makes sense to re-home him first, as he has had less time to get accustomed to us.

We are hoping to re-home the other cat (been with us for 3 fantastic years) within the family, so we can stay close.

Bernard was obtained before we knew about about the apartment move. Obviously we did not adopt him from the shelter without thinking about it fully.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Thanks to all for the recommendations and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

We are also looking at moving apartment closer to my work (as currently I don’t get home to Greystones until about 7.30pm and the baby will be asleep).

We are looking to re-home Bernard (not "get rid" of him) to an experienced cat lover. We are very fond of Bernard and it is very disappointing for us to have to give him away.

As he is the newest arrival, it makes sense to re-home him first, as he has had less time to get accustomed to us.

We are hoping to re-home the other cat (been with us for 3 fantastic years) within the family, so we can stay close.

Bernard was obtained before we knew about about the apartment move. Obviously we did not adopt him from the shelter without thinking about it fully.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Thanks to all for the recommendations and advice.

Dont let this get you too wound up.Nearly every thread that is started here ends up in some sort of petty argument.You should not have to explain why you are rehoming your cat. This thread is for people who might want a cat not for others to take the moral high ground, if you are not looking for a cat why bother commenting? anyway..my mother in law lives in greystones and has adopted loads of cats over the years, ill see if she has room for one more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Mainah

I'm sorry you think people here are giving you a hard time about this. Unfortunately there are so many people who do want to "get rid" of their pets when it becomes inconvenient and those reading this don't have any idea that you are not "one of those" people without the background story. I think the above posters have good intentions and are trying to keep a beloved member of a family from being separated from you if that's at all possible.

Have you thought about the possibility of keeping the cat indoors in the new apartment? A lot of landlords will allow you to keep a cat or two in apartments these days. I have indoor-only cats and they are very happy and very healthy.

If that's not an option, you mentioned that you adopted the cat from a shelter - surely they would want you to return the cat to them if you needed to rehome it. Have you contacted them for their help rehoming him? They are likely to ask you the same questions people have here initially, but a lot of shelters will take the cat back.

Good luck to Bernard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Hi my friend is looking for a cat at the moment if you want to PM me your email address and ill put you guy's in contact ! And i have one Cat in a small apartment and if i had two i would find it impossible i totally understand where your coming from :) Good Luck with the Baby and move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you'd posted that in the first place you could have saved yourself a lot of bother and the rest of us some effort in trying to encourage you to keep the cat.

Sorry if my post offended, it certainly wasn't taking the moral high ground as another poster put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

Hi I've given my cat-searching friend a link to this thread.
    I don't mean to weigh in on the side of those saying you should keep the cat, but just to mention, I live in a first floor apartment with a very happy cat, who comes and goes freely, she climbs over the balcony or waits at the door to be let in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CraZyLaurie

i would take the cat if you really dont want it :D but unfortunatly my mom and sister are alergic to cats :( anywho look up http://www.gumtree.ie/ put in a free add and many nice people will reply to you cheers good luck :D

Advertisement