Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody BT problems, again!

• 19-02-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ever since the start of this week, my connection is crap. Some sites load, most don't.

Sites like boards.ie and peoplesrepublicofcork.com load fine, whereas others like facebook and youtube are unable to load, they just hang at a blank page. It's only the local (Ireland) sites that load really..

I've checked too and nobody else is using the connection.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Been having constant issues since we were forced to switch to vodafone. Constant disconnects and idiot support staff, as soon as I can I'm moving. I'd been with bt for years and only had the occasional problem, with vodafone a few months and it's been consistently aweful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

have experienced intermittent problems with bt/ vodaphone broadband in the the last week and a half or so as well but in my case internet has just stopped working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

very interesting - I just mentioned to herself yesterday had she noticed sites not loading, or half loading. xbox.com etc.

Just now I was trying to do a google search and google isn't responding. very odd, it was a few minutes ago. Deceided to check my homepage (boards.ie ;) ) and it works, then check posts in this section.

I'm also on Vodafone/BT using OSX + Firefox using OpenDNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

google/gmail is backing working fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Recently, I had serious issues with getting multiple disconnections a day. Still using the Voyager modem BT provide. The problem seemed to be that some times it would connect to the old BT access point, and other times it would connect to Vodafones.

Their support staff first had me try resetting the modem, but that had no effect except the inconvenience of having to re-configure all my settings.

The second time, they sent me a new modem, and that seemed to solve the problem. However, in the last couple of days the disconnections have started happening again, and last night (21feb) the modem could not establish a connection for a couple of hours.

The speed of the connections seems fine, but anything that needs to do DNS lookup can be terribly slow, particularly in the evening. I can get download speeds of 300 kbps, but getting to a web page can take 20 seconds or longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Similar issues here - with BT for years and never had any connection issues. Since we were automatically moved to Vodafone the router does not connect to the internet. If I manually browse to the router and keep hitting connect it usually connects after 3/4 attempts - according to the diags it is an authentication issue. I will of a call with Vodafone but I'm not optimistic about the level of service after reading other posts here.
    Very disappointing service from Vodafone. Will move to another provider if this is not resolved. This type of intermittent broadband service should be a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Just found the following on Vodafone website - may help?

If you transferred to Vodafone and did not get a new modem, you will still have to enter in the Vodafone details into your old modem (which may be password protected).
    To configure your modem, simply do the following:
    Open 192.168.1.1 in your browser
    Click Advanced
    Click Quick start/quick setup
    Enter Username as vodafone@vodafone.com
    Enter password as broadband
    Click Connect

However, if you have any questions in advance, contact BT on Freephone 1904 or after the transfer has completed please contact Vodafone on Freephone 1907.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well after making my earlier post, I lost connection again and after trying to get a connection after multiple restart attempts, I still could not get any form of connection.

I rang Vodafone support, and they were helpful, but despite having a screen in front of them showing all the connection problems, it was again a case of not having a definite clue as to what is causing the problem and just trying something that might work - if I'm lucky and the planets are in a favourable alignment.

The lady tested the line and mentioned the noise was a bit high, so that is what will be focused on, but when the line was tested the previous occasion, I was told it was a good connection, capable of at least 7 mbps.

To be fair, the lady was able to do something that got me a connection that worked and has set in motion a request to change something in my profile that might help with stability, but I am not in the slightest bit confident this will help.

it is the same sort of approach that got me the new modem - no real idea really, lets try a new modem.

When I mentioned dissatisfaction with the service and the likelihood of my switching to another provider if a proper solution was not forthcoming, mention was made that a rumor had been heard that someone, indeterminate, might be upgrading equipment at exchanges over the next month, so I might then expect to see an improvement.

The people I have dealt with on the front-line at Vodafone are invariably pleasant and have a great desire to solve problems, they are a credit to the organisation, but the organisation as a whole gives the strong impression of being technically out of its depth and clueless.

This has been painfully evident from past attempts to set up non-approved handsets, where asking for the basic parameters to allow manual setup and thus venturing off-piste and off-script has been like pulling teeth. When you have to explain to a tech expert what a pop server is and why you need those settings...

Then there is their website. Honestly, if there had been a competition for worst web site in Ireland, I reckon they would have taken gold every year for the last 7 at least. Please don't use Firefox sir, our website only works with IE.

Let me just try it again, just in case I am being unfair, hang on a sec, just logging in, and.... Nope, same as it ever was:

"Hello *******, here is the balance used on your account:"

Really? So what is it, just dying to know? And what is a 'balance used' Shouldn't that just be 'balance'. Could they possibly mean 'here is the remaining balance on your account'. If so, how about some actual numbers, rather than just the enticing promise of them.

Lets have a look at my phone details. Hmmmm. Image not available. Phone details not available. Oh dear, silly me, I must not have entered them. Let's just click on the update phone details link. Well that's strange all the details seem to be there already filled in the fields - as if I had tried this previously once upon a time. Maybe if I just click the update details button and go back to the original page. Nope, still no image or details available.

At least this is all familiar, because it was just like this LAST OCTOBER when I last tried this.

This is how the login box on the main screen renders in Safari and Firefox:

Picture8.png

If a company can't even set up their corporate website and make it work, what chance of them being able to run a broadband network?

Advertisement