Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go 720 Problem after map upgrade

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I updated my GO720 to the latest maps and now it won't start up. This is what happens when I press the power on button.
    1. I get the startup picture, then the loading screen with the progress bar at the bottom, then it switches off.
    2. If I press the power button again the startup pictures flashes up briefly and the unit powers off.
    3. Push the button again nothing happens.
    4. Reset doesn't work.
    5. If I leave it for a few hours the process starts again as above.

Right now it's completely dead, in the PC dock, the green charging light is on but nothing happens when I press the power button.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mossie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you got a backup of everything? If not back up the devices directory,
    Do this via windows explorer (copy/paste the entire contents)
    Delete the entire directory & restart. Connect to TomTom Home , you will be prompted to Install the latest application build. After that installs reinstall your map(s)
    If you can not get your device to connect to the PC leave it turned on (or keep turning it back on) & let the battery run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

koolkid wrote: »
    Have you got a backup of everything? If not back up the devices directory,
    Do this via windows explorer (copy/paste the entire contents)
    Delete the entire directory & restart. Connect to TomTom Home , you will be prompted to Install the latest application build. After that installs reinstall your map(s)
    If you can not get your device to connect to the PC leave it turned on (or keep turning it back on) & let the battery run down.

koolkid.

I have a backup but I cannot get the device to stay on long enough to connect to the computer. Right now I cannot get it to start at all. I will keep trying but for now it's essentially a brick...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try startup & hold in reset for 20 seconds.

Try startup & hold in reset for 20 seconds.

Tried this but no good, still no response. This happened this morning too and when I left it be for a few hours I was able to get it to repond to the power button again. I might leave it for a while and try again later.

In the meantime I'll run it by a few others in TomTom.

• Advertisement

In the meantime I'll run it by a few others in TomTom.

Many thanks kk, much appreciated

Just got a suggestion from TT guys.
    If you have a backup of the directory try copy it onto a blank SD card.
    Put the SD into your device & try reset again. It might (just might) boot from that.

Just got a suggestion from TT guys.
    If you have a backup of the directory try copy it onto a blank SD card.
    Put the SD into your device & try reset again. It might (just might) boot from that.

I have done this but the device is not responding yet. Still nothing when I press power on.

I.d say try run the battery down & see what happens.

Ok. I'll leave it overnight and see how it goes. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ok. Let me know how it goes. I'll PM you a link for the application latest build. you can manually install via windows explorer is you get PC connection.

Ok. Let me know how it goes. I'll PM you a link for the application latest build. you can manually install via windows explorer is you get PC connection.

Hi koolkid.

I just tried starting it again but the start screen just flashed on and then off again, lasted maybe 2 seconds. I'll just have to keep trying but right now I can't do anything to get it back up and running. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

When I let the battery run down the start screen came on and disappeared immediately then nothing when I pressed the power switch again. That's around 24 hours ago now and it's still totally unresponsive. I think it's a lost cause:mad:

Leave it off and fully charge it. Connect via USB to PC and then power on. With a bit of luck it may go to connect to PC screen.

Leave it off and fully charge it. Connect via USB to PC and then power on. With a bit of luck it may go to connect to PC screen.

OK, I'll try this thanks for the help

UPDATE I left it disconnected overnight and fully charged it today. Still totally dead. Looks like it's not fixable by me.

Advertisement