Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming child maintenance from my childs father

Options
  • 20-02-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

im looking to claim maintenance off my sons father, my son was born in november 07 and his father has never paid any maintenance for him. im on one parent family payment, im wondering how i go about claiming maintenance offf him and would i be back dated all the money he hasn't paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

This is tricky...very tricky,as you well need some legal help on this.
    The law is different in every country so cant say where you stand here but you well need to give the child's father the heads up as soon as you can if he is in any way honorable he well agree to make arrangements if he is not at all approachable ... it well with regret be up to the legal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Try Treoir - they have information on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Why wont he pay? Has he got any money to give? If he is on social welfare it can be stopped at source and it can possibly be stopped at souce via his TAX if he works.

Is there anyone in his family you can talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

qQq1tf i2,6y5tfrg1`111yG

I think my daughter may have posted that message :o I've only just noticed I even replied to this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need to go to the family law court and get a maintance order put in place.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/separation-and-divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements
    How to apply

A person seeking a maintenance order can go to their local District Court and get the Court Clerk to issue a Maintenance Summons against the other spouse. Legal advice and representation is always advisable. To enquire whether you are eligible for Legal Aid, contact your nearest law centre. The law centre staff will assess your means and advise on financial eligibility. Legal Aid is not free and everyone must pay a contribution towards costs. The minimum contribution is as follows:

* For legal advice – €10
    * For legal aid – €50

Read more about Legal Aid here. Download an application form for Legal Services (pdf) and bring this with you to your nearest law centre.

FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centres) is an independent, voluntary organisation that operates a network of legal advice clinics throughout the country. These clinics are confidential, free of charge and open to all. Contact your nearest Citizens Information Centre for information on FLAC services in your area. FLAC also runs an information and referral line during office hours for basic legal information.

FLAC has produced a series of leaflets on various areas of law including one entitled Maintenance (pdf) which may be useful. These are available from your local Citizens Information Centre and from FLAC or can be downloaded from the FLAC website.

http://www.flac.ie/download/pdf/maintenance.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement