Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo in garden?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Any advice on how to stop dogs taking a dump in my (unfenced) garden? I didn't find anything too convincing searching google. I have rarely caught a dog doing the deed, but the evidence is there. I don't have a dog of my own.

Is there something I can get from a pet store, or any other advice?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think there's a spray called 'keep off' or something along those lines, found in Pet Stores, supposidly spraying it will stop them from going into the garden or doing their business. But it has to be applied daily.

If they are neighbours dogs you could have a polite word with them about keeping their dogs out of your garden.
    Or, you could invest in getting a basic fence, even chicken wire and wooden posts or something, just to try and keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had this problem for years, seemed like every dog in the neighbourhood used my garden as a toilet. I have dogs and walk them only on the lead and pick up after them, but most dogs around here are just left to roam, mine were never in my unfenced front garden but every time I went out there were two or three fresh deposits. Honestly the only solution is a fence, its the only thing that truly worked for me. I did have some success with orange peel and orange oil(few drops on teabags left around garden) but even that didn't stop it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's really annoying when people let their dogs run loose they never consider other neighbours and even if you have a word they'll only keep the dog in for a while they always let the dogs off again.

Only thing you can do aside from trying to have a word with them is fence it off doesn't have to be expensive, if the gardens not too big then cheap wooden stakes and some chainlink would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭jc77

This is actually for my girlfriend's mothers place. On her street, herself & the neighbour's house are the only 2 whose gardens are unfenced/walled.

I bought some of the stuff 'Keep Off' in powder form (mix with water & spray on lawn) and applied. Had to pick up the old evidence, thankfully it froze last night! On box, it says to apply again after 5-7days, so I'll check damage again next weekend.

My dad mentioned the 'plastic bottle with water' thing, but I think this is an old wives tale? Any truth in that remedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Read the forum rules before posting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I don't know how other people would view this solution but it is something my father did before and it really did work. He got an electric fence, it would be similar to the dog training collars and you can set the voltage. The only thing was he kept the box for it by the window in the sitting room and it did make a very annoying noise that my father insisted it didn't (even though he is half deaf)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Please read the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP if you know who the dogs belong to, report them to the local council dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jc77 wrote: »
    My dad mentioned the 'plastic bottle with water' thing, but I think this is an old wives tale? Any truth in that remedy?
    My nan tried that to keep cats out of her garden. The only effect was to make her garden look uglier.

If the 'Keep Off' doesn't work fencing may be the best option.

Advertisement