Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my new boom stick!!!

Options
  • 20-02-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Back late last year I decided I was in the "need" for a firearm that was well able to get me out too 800+ yds for some casual target shooting and also a bit of deer stalking aswell......I have been a big fan of the 300 win mag for a long time so off I went to Southern Rifle and Optics in Kilkenny armed with a HS precision varmint stock inletted for a long action rem 700 (that I purchased from Sean Harding at Stakelums Gun and Rod in Thurles) for a chat with John Greene(riflesmith) about my new project I had in mind....Well after a few hours of trading Ideas and many pots of coffee John was able to get into my head and see what I was after....
    I got the call yesterday from John to Get my assss down to the shop as my new rifle is ready to go....Well When I arrived there it was sitting on the counter....I had a grin ear to ear.It is more than I expected..

Heres a list of Particulars:

Hs presicion varmint stock...
    26 inch sheilin match grade 1 in 10 twist barrel straight taper
    custom recoil lug
    Rem 700 long action blueprinted to the last detail and sako extractor
    custom muzzle break crafted by John Green
    20moa rail and rings from Third Eye Tactical
    Nightforce nxs 8-32x56 scope
    Tactical bolt knob(the honey dipper) crafted by john
    Jewell trigger(on back order) out of stock but on its way
    ase ultra jet z mod
    and a nice ghost cap to cover the 5/8 thread on the muzzle
    DSCF1129.jpg
    DSCF1133.jpg
    DSCF1128.jpg
    DSCF1137.jpg
    DSCF1143.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

it lives.......drooooool:D
    very nice indeedy!
    congrats - and many years shooting with the new rifle, dwighet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

best of luck with it , what size of hole did it leave in you bank balance if you don't mind me asking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 spids

im interested in price 2 and how hard is it 2 get licence for that bad boi?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jesus, that's even prettier than I imagined from what you said before. That's just stunning. What's the all-up weight like? I'd love a look at it sometime. Next gun will probably be either a .308 prone target rifle or a lightweight .300 Win Mag, and I'm thinking I'll have to pop into John Greene and chat about it sometime soon to get ideas. I reckon a build quite similar to your 7mm-08 but in a .300 Win Mag would be stunning, as long as the stock fits. Lightweight 25" barrel. Deciding between a wood and blued barrel and a stainless/synthetic setup will be interesting.

spids wrote: »
    im interested in price 2 and how hard is it 2 get licence for that bad boi?

Licence won't be too bad if you've got a range or a deer licence. It's unrestricted after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

rowa wrote: »
    best of luck with it , what size of hole did it leave in you bank balance if you don't mind me asking ?
    I stopped counting:eek:
    I already had the scope that I purchased 2nd hand for 850 sterling..
    The rings and rail,which I highly reccomend cost 160 sterling..
    The stock I got from a mate who bought a rem sendero(300 win mag) and didnt want the stock that came with it...he went for a mc millan a5 so I got the stock for good money...
    In all fairness and due respect Im not going to give out the total paid for the workmanship done by John Greene....Thats something, If your interested in a build to ask himself.
    Sorry I cant help ye there..

Licence won't be too bad if you've got a range or a deer licence. It's unrestricted after all.

Thats right...Its a 30 cal so no restrictions

Jesus, that's even prettier than I imagined from what you said before. That's just stunning. What's the all-up weight like? I'd love a look at it sometime. Next gun will probably be either a .308 prone target rifle or a lightweight .300 Win Mag, and I'm thinking I'll have to pop into John Greene and chat about it sometime soon to get ideas. I reckon a build quite similar to your 7mm-08 but in a .300 Win Mag would be stunning, as long as the stock fits. Lightweight 25" barrel. Deciding between a wood and blued barrel and a stainless/synthetic setup will be interesting.
    I hav`nt weighed it yet but its not light...But its still light enough to climb a small mountain and knock a deer. I`d say around 12-14 pound tops..
    John will build you a good gun... that stock I have on the 7mm08 and a light 300wm barrel would be awesome.... Kick like a fukkkker though. get a break for it...you`ll need it

dwighet wrote: »
    I hav`nt weighed it yet but its not light...But its still light enough to climb a small mountain and knock a deer. I`d say around 12-14 pound tops..
    John will build you a good gun... that stock I have on the 7mm08 and a light 300wm barrel would be awesome.... Kick like a fukkkker though. get a break for it...you`ll need it

That's a good weight, not too heavy, but it'll take a lot of the wallop out of the cartridge too. Will be interesting to see how it performs on some sika now. I'll be seeing how I like the .300 when I get a chance to shoot a few. I'm not recoil sensitive, so might be able to handle it in a stripped down sporter-weight job. The idea would be to keep it light, but heavy enough and balanced well enough to work well and be manageable. A nice, light scope would complete the package. Muzzle breaks bug me, they make me twitchy as all hell, way too loud, so would be avoiding one if I could at all.

That's a good weight, not too heavy, but it'll take a lot of the wallop out of the cartridge too. Will be interesting to see how it performs on some sika now. I'll be seeing how I like the .300 when I get a chance to shoot a few. I'm not recoil sensitive, so might be able to handle it in a stripped down sporter-weight job. The idea would be to keep it light, but heavy enough and balanced well enough to work well and be manageable. A nice, light scope would complete the package. Muzzle breaks bug me, they make me twitchy as all hell, way too loud, so would be avoiding one if I could at all.
    Im looking forward to seeing this shooter...When do you think you will have the ball rolling?

• Advertisement

dCorbus wrote: »
    it lives.......drooooool:D
    very nice indeedy!
    congrats - and many years shooting with the new rifle, dwighet

thanks m8..

dwighet wrote: »
    Im looking forward to seeing this shooter...When do you think you will have the ball rolling?

If I can get some extra work over the summer that pays well enough, I'll hopefully put one of the builds in motion next autumn. Need to put a couple of grand away first. Should be a hell of a nice bit of work if the stuff I've seen from John so far is anything to go by, and if it's done right, it'll be light, but handle the recoil well, keep it down nicely. I'm not sure which I'll go for first, to be honest, will depend on what I'm doing at the time I guess, and whether I've all the extra funds to join Midlands and such if it's the target rifle. The hunting gun should be cheaper, and it'd be a good excuse to book a new years trip to the continent for some driven boar to try it out. ;) I also quite want a .300 Win Mag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Hi Dwighet,
    I met you at Johns today, cracking rifle and you looked rather pleased to say the least.
    Nice one

Hi Dwighet,
    I met you at Johns today, cracking rifle and you looked rather pleased to say the least.
    Nice one
    Im still grinning:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

smashing rifle dwight. that will wreck my head for the weekend . let us know how it shoots for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

nice one , i love the HS stocks .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As some of you know Dwighet and I are good shooting buddy's. Dwighet called into me on the way home from John Greene's workshop last night with his new rifle. What can I say only.............

All the best mate with your new 300win mag. I know you lost a lot of sleep over the build and also spent a lot of time getting it just right, in fact perfect, for you.

And the gun...........
    A work of pure art, magnificent workmanship from John Greene.

Well may she wear for you and many happy years of shooting with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

A work of art best of luck with it.
    Maybe a stupid question but how dose the moderator go on the barrel?:o

greenpeter wrote: »
    A work of art best of luck with it.
    Maybe a stupid question but how dose the moderator go on the barrel?:o
    The muzzle break unscrews off the barrel and the mod scrrews on.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Beautiful piece !

Can I ask was the brake one from a series he already offers or did he make it specially for you from scratch - totally custom ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

O.M.G. i'm impressed.......... looking forward to getting a hold of it in the flesh........ happy shooting my friend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well wear Dwighet :D

(Go on, try it on a fox, ya know ya want to, lol).

freddieot wrote: »
    Beautiful piece !

Can I ask was the brake one from a series he already offers or did he make it specially for you from scratch - totally custom ?

The break was made from an old stainless 308 barrel he had lying around..

johngalway wrote: »
    Well wear Dwighet :D

(Go on, try it on a fox, ya know ya want to, lol).
    The thought has crossed my mind.:D:D.I`ll bring it up with me next time John......

andyone wrote: »
    O.M.G. i'm impressed..........looking forward to getting a hold of it in the flesh........ happy shooting my friend..

Were going to need a bigger sand pit:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

best of luck with your new toy dwighet :):)
    i've been following its construction piece by piece in the shop ,great to see how well it turned out
    hope you have many safe years with it ....

ian

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Very, Very Nice...;)

Shanmoll308

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

Nice rifle, I’ve always wanted to shoot a 300 win mag. You might consider replacing the standard Remy bottom metal with the Badger Ordinance bottom metal. It will allow you to use the AICS 5 or 10 round detachable mags. Just a little inletting needed and it would finish off the rifle nicely.

Stephen.

SD308 wrote: »
    Nice rifle, I’ve always wanted to shoot a 300 win mag. You might consider replacing the standard Remy bottom metal with the Badger Ordinance bottom metal. It will allow you to use the AICS 5 or 10 round detachable mags. Just a little inletting needed and it would finish off the rifle nicely.

Stephen.

I hear ya.... Was thinking of that but kinda like it the way it is for now...I like more of a long range hunter look than a tactical look... Well for now anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

well wear lad, that rifle is a work of art......absolutely love it... its gonna be a tack driver without doubt..
    I also fitted my Rem 700 308 with a HS precision stock and a HS detachable mag setup, its a 4 round clip so barely noticeable.

Advertisement