Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy milk or organic cow's milk?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

hi guys

I know this is a vegetarian forum and I might be off to a bad start but just gathering opinions on this one: I don't drink a lot of milk myself but I just don't know what to give to my kids and keep going back and forth on my decision. On one hand, I do not like dairy (at all) but I can buy it organic, the other option is soya milk. Soya has a lot of detractors too and I can't buy it organic cos all of the organic varieties that I have found are not calcium-fortified which kind of defeats the purpose (the whole thing of drinking milk for us if just for the calcium). Also soya is one of the most GM foods on earth I hear so some people have said to me before that unless I buy organic it it just as bad or even worse than organic cow's milk. Soya is also artificially sweetened... oh the dilemma. Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I've defo seen Calcium enriched organic soymilk, just don't know what sweetener would be used. Have also seen unsweetened soy milk. Will try to remember later and check it out.
    There are various nutmilks and grainmilks too and even milks made with seeds but ricemilk, I'm fairly sure would be a particularly poor source of calcium. As far as I remember, sesame seeds are a particularly rich vegan calcium sorce, but you're more likely to get it in tahini (creamed sesame) or hummous, which are also high in calories and therefore, good for kids.

You can get fortified orange juice and breakfast cereals too. Calcium set tofu is excellent. Almonds and almond butter is another great source and if you decide to supplement, calcium citrate is apparently the most bioavailable form of the mineral.

Just remember that Vit D improves calcium absorbtion, and vinegar improves absorbtion of Vit D (Vit D you can also get by action of sunshine on your skin) but you need some protein, along with magnesium (there's a ratio) & vit d. Also, possibly boron.

There's an issue of excess protein causing a leeching of calcium from the bones though and avoid fizzy/carbonated drinks, tea & coffee, salty condiments (miso, salt).

Alot of the veggie iron rich sources are also calcium rich sources too, but since calcium is usually absorbed at the expense of iron, bear that in mind - ie. sometimes have beans and greens with high vit c source for the iron and sometimes with high vit d and magnesium for the calcium.

Salad leaves with a dressing of vinegar and oils, off the top of my head....

***edit: I do remember hearing that you keep offering things like leafy green veg over and over, up to about 20 times, before they take to it. There are also cookbooks written where they tell you how to sneakily get veg into kiddies food - most muffins can be made with pureed veg like cauliflower, squash, apple***

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

I can't buy things like almond milk and the likes due to costs. I read rice milk has arsenic and it's not recommended for kids under 4. Unfortunately mi kids won't have green leafy salads, no matter what the dressing...

I'd also add hummous into pasta and pasta sauce, to make it "creamier".

Aha! Found it -
    The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals by Missy Chase Lapine - why not see whether your local library stocks it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Aha! Found it -
    The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals by Missy Chase Lapine - why not see whether your local library stocks it?

sounds good, i must look for that myself!

i drink both cows milk and soya, i love soya and often just give it to my daughter without telling her. cant really help you on what is best to give them. i think its hard to avoid GM foods, im just happy she gets calcium from them for the moment!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    granoVita do organic, calcium enriched soymilks - both plain and vanilla flavoured. For sweetener, they use concentrated apple juice. I can't remember which is sweetened/unsweetened, tho.

Advertisement