Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Digital Plus Vs Sky Plus

• 20-02-2010 3:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

I have Sky Plus at home at the moment and while it's a fantastic package and product I've had 6 breakdowns this year so I'm thinking of moving to UPC.
    I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before I make the move.

Is UPC service reliable?

Is their Digital Plus package comparable to Sky's in terms of ease of use and range of features?

Over all would the general consensus be that UPC beats Sky or is it vice versa?

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

chilly wrote: »
    I have Sky Plus at home at the moment and while it's a fantastic package and product I've had 6 breakdowns this year so I'm thinking of moving to UPC.
    I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before I make the move.

Is UPC service reliable?

Is their Digital Plus package comparable to Sky's in terms of ease of use and range of features?

Over all would the general consensus be that UPC beats Sky or is it vice versa?

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated! :)

Bit rates on UPC have improved so the picture is about the same as Sky.
    If you go for the HD box regular channels are upscaled.

UPC has less channels then Sky here are the two EPGs.

Sky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Sky_Digital
    UPC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

The UPC guide is a bit slower but it is solid reliable and easy to use.

UPC does not have an anytime service like Sky but later this year they will have video on demand which will be way more advanced then Sky Anytime.

Like Sky you can record two channels at once but the box must be put into standby before a 2nd recording can start.

If you have a problem with the box UPC will replace it for free no charge.

Like I said there are less channels but being able to record all the ITV channels and all the extra BBC channels including BBC HD more then makes up for this in my mind.

The HD box has an optical out for a surround amp and all the HD channels are in Dolby Digital 5.1.

The biggest difference in the lack of Sky Anytime but like I said later this year UPC will have video on Demand from RTE TV3 and also Movies.

This will be really on demand not like the Sky Anytime which records onto your box in the background.
    When you request a program it will be streamed to your box instantly.
    Multi room is much cheaper then Sky too.

Side by side here are the 3 things you should consider.

No Sky Anytime but video on demand is on it's way.

Smaller channel selection here is the list again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

As the box is rented there is no charge for call outs or replacements.

Some people say customer service is rubbish I have found Sky as bad or worse dealing with call centers is hit and miss.

You have to decide what is important to you and make your choice.
    For me all the channels I use to watch on Sky are on UPC you should look through the list for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I have Digital + with UPC. The system is clunky and not anyway as smooth as Sky's. The remote is crap. In the middle of changing channels the station you are watching freezes and if you are not quick enough typing in the numbers it automatically changes channel to the Info Channel.

When you record something and then watch it doesn't note it like the sky box. Therefore, if you have taped a series you're never quite sure what episode you have and haven't watched.

All in all there is no comparison between Sky and UPC - its like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes.

If i had the choice i would avoid UPC Digital at all costs. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Steviemak wrote: »
    I have Digital + with UPC. The system is clunky and not anyway as smooth as Sky's. The remote is crap. In the middle of changing channels the station you are watching freezes and if you are not quick enough typing in the numbers it automatically changes channel to the Info Channel.

While the Digital+ box (Thompson) is muck, the Digital+HD (Cisco) box is far far better, and doesn't suffer these problems. You should upgrade, it's no extra cost per month, and only €30 for the HD box if you do a self-install and order online.

snappieT wrote: »
    While the Digital+ box (Thompson) is muck, the Digital+HD (Cisco) box is far far better, and doesn't suffer these problems. You should upgrade, it's no extra cost per month, and only €30 for the HD box if you do a self-install and order online.

Yes the HD box is what I recommended in my reply.

Even for those without a HD television the box has a scart output and you can watch the HD channels too in SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks a million for those replies, particularly Raincand. Your post was extremely helpful! :)

I wouldn't mind having a smaller selection of channels as I mainly only watch a few channels on Sky regularly and they're all in the UPC bundle. UPC is looking pretty good to me now!

Two more questions
    :
    Do you have the same system as Sky's TV guide where you can look through all the channels and read about the program you want to see?

Can you flick through the text information about other channels to see whats on them on while you watch a program like you can do on Sky?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for those replies, particularly Raincand. Your post was extremely helpful! :)

I wouldn't mind having a smaller selection of channels as I mainly only watch a few channels on Sky regularly and they're all in the UPC bundle. UPC is looking pretty good to me now!

Two more questions
    :
    Do you have the same system as Sky's TV guide where you can look through all the channels and read about the program you want to see?

Can you flick through the text information about other channels to see whats on them on while you watch a program like you can do on Sky?

Yes and yes I could not find a picture of the EPG in English here is a picture from UPC Netherlands I think it's the same guide.

0212_upc_7.jpg

mediaboxepg1nk9.jpg

upc_tv_epg_tv_guide_lightbox.jpg

Edit there is the HD box
    PaceLWDVR.png

Ranicand wrote: »
    Yes the HD box is what I recommended in my reply.

Even for those without a HD television the box has a scart output and you can watch the HD channels too in SD.

If I had known this i would have went for the HD box even though I don't have a HD TV.

If I had known this i would have went for the HD box even though I don't have a HD TV.

Ring up and ask for a self install they will send a HD box out to you and you just hand out your regular box.

The HD box only comes packed with a HDMI cable however you can use the scart off the box you have now.

Its a 30 euro self install fee though is it not. Just paid them 30 euro last month for the Digital + box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ranicand did a pretty good job of telling you about the service.

i would also recommend upc i also have the hd box.

the hd channels look stunning. and the sd channels look much better.
    everything works fine i only have one problem with the hd box. there is something wrong with the HDCP between the box and my Philips hd tv
    i dont want to ring them because i will loose all my recorded programs.
    other then that the box is working perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ranicand thank you so much.

Times like this I wish there was a double thanks button so you could flag a post as extra specially helpful!

I'll tell them in UPC that you should be receiving commission when I sign up! :D

Ranicand thank you so much.

Times like this I wish there was a double thanks button so you could flag a post as extra specially helpful!

I'll tell them in UPC that you should be receiving commission when I sign up! :D

I was with Sky in the analog days and I was one of the first to gtt digital and paid full price for the box.

I set up a new debit for the digital and they took their money out the first two months.
    The 3rd month they did not take their money and I phoned their call center and was told there was no problem.
    My service was cut off and when I called I was told I was cut off due to a failed debit.

My bank had no record of a failed debit and I made sure there was enough money in the account at all times.
    After many calls I asked what account number they were using and they read out an account number to me that was not mine.

They insisted that I must of gave them the wrong account number on sign up but they took out the money for the first two months they were two stupid to grasp this.:rolleyes:

They sent me out a new debit form which I filled out and posted back which they said they never received and I had to fill out yet another one.

Years later I had Sky Plus multi room and one of the plus boxes failed so it was 100 euro call out.
    The reconditioned box I received was an older model with a smaller drive that could not run Sky Anytime and the buttons on the box itself did not work.

Sky told me there was no way of getting a new box I had to take what was in the van.

Some time later the drive failed in my other box so I phoned Sky and asked was there anyway I could pay for a new box I was told I would have to take what I was given.

I canceled Sky that week and phoned UPC and got two DVR boxes now called UPC Plus.

I have since changed to HD and I have added a third room.
    I had a hard drive fail once in one of the boxes two days later it was replaced no charge with a new box.

I know two other people that Sky have messed up their bills one received legal letters from Sky and they only stopped after they sent legal letters back to Sky with a threat of being sued.

I have personally found the hold times for the Sky call center longer and many times I got put onto the call center in India at which point I would hang up.

We don't have huge choice here we only have Sky or UPC or Freesat when I seen you post of six breakdowns in the last year I knew how you felt.

I think I have been with UPC about two years now and the channels were bad one evening out of that two years I rang to complain.
    The next day they rang me back to ask was everything working ok.

People say Sky has great customer service well I never experienced it and I know other people who did not either.

Apart from all that Sky never got their finger out to get UTV and the extra BBC channels in the guide how difficult can it be?

Last thing when the Euro gains value against the Pound we still got charged way over the odds here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

So the HD box is fantastic according to the posters above, BUT only available in limited areas! Keep this in mind...

I have the UPC Thomson Silver DVR (HD not available in D2 where I reside) and it's horrible. Very slow and some direct key functions only work at times (if at all). Using the remote further away than 5 meters is hit or miss (more likely miss than hit) and the UGI is not amongst the fastest and not very user friendly.

I'd stick with sky any day... My Pace HD box is everything opposite of the UPC box :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I'm with UPC and there's times when i miss being able to use the red button. Also the EPG is rubbish, only lets you see what is on now and next, you have ot go into the guide to find anything later than that.
    In the middle of changing channels the station you are watching freezes and if you are not quick enough typing in the numbers it automatically changes channel to the Info Channel.

AGHHHH, hate that guy.

Interesting. Where can i buy said box? From UPC? Install is just a matter of plugging in in to the right connection?

edit: so i tried enquiring about self installing and was told first to order online because the charge over the phone is €60?

Then when i tried doing it online, whilst i was still on the phone to them, but they couldn't tell me where on the website i could order just the box. I was then given some crap about self install not being available at my address and that a technician would have to come out to do it? Even though HD is definitely available in my area? Are they having me on?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

But here it says it is 5 euro extra a month and an installation fee of 40 euro, so 10 euro for installation, 30 euro for the box and 5 euro extra a month?

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplushd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Easy Rider wrote: »
    But here it says it is 5 euro extra a month and an installation fee of 40 euro, so 10 euro for installation, 30 euro for the box and 5 euro extra a month?
    Going by what was said above it seems you can order an HD DVR box without getting the HD subscription (€5 a month extra). Not sure exactly.
    el dude wrote: »
    I'm with UPC and there's times when i miss being able to use the red button. Also the EPG is rubbish, only lets you see what is on now and next, you have ot go into the guide to find anything later than that.
    Yes that's the only disadvantage with the newer boxes, but the old Sagem boxes (the ones Chorus used) were terrible in every other way imaginable. Crappy cheap remote, hideously slow guide and channel changes, poor picture quality, cheap nasty looking box, etc.
    Interesting. Where can i buy said box? From UPC? Install is just a matter of plugging in in to the right connection?
    The only boxes you're entitled to use on UPC's network are boxes owned by UPC. This is a big difference from Sky, where you purchase the STBs yourself and there's a second hand market for them, etc. You're essentially paying rental for UPCs boxes, which is good in a way if breaks as you're entitled to a replacement one for free (if only their customer support were better at promptly dealing with issues like this :rolleyes: ).
    I was then given some crap about self install not being available at my address and that a technician would have to come out to do it?
    I'd imagine people would be flagged like this in their database if there's no record of a previous UPC cable installation in your house, or there has been changes which require re-wiring (e.g. transistion from MMDS to cable in some areas). But maybe their records are just wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Against UPC - Dire Customer Service, Questionable billing tactics, Limited HD Channels, No interactive, Fewer channels then Sky, Too many technical hitches and very slow to resolve

For UPC - ESPN is part of the max package

If I had the choice I would choose Sky anyday - the major disadvantage of Sky is the dish and you own the equipment so if it breaks you have to get it fixed - though you can pick STBs on ebay etc cheaply

Infoanon wrote: »
    Against UPC - Dire Customer Service, Questionable billing tactics, Limited HD Channels, No interactive, Fewer channels then Sky, Too many technical hitches and very slow to resolve

For UPC - ESPN is part of the max package

If I had the choice I would choose Sky anyday - the major disadvantage of Sky is the dish and you own the equipment so if it breaks you have to get it fixed - though you can pick STBs on ebay etc cheaply

I agree Sky has way more channels and I did point this out in my reply.
    There are 10HD channels on UPC and 37 on Sky.

Dire customer service is why I left Sky and I have a friend who was billed for months after leaving Sky and this was only resolved with a legal letter being sent to Sky.

I had a dish aliment problem with Sky Astra 2D which two call outs of 100 euro each failed to resolve.
    An independent Satellite installer did it for 60euro.:rolleyes:

I was cut off because Sky started using an account number that was not mine for some strange reason.

When all was resolved after countless hours on the phone and me having to send two new debit mandates I asked for a good will gesture but I was told I could not get one as I did not lose any money.

I don't take sides but I will never go near Sky again after my experience with them and I know two people who agree for the same kind of reasons.

Sky is more expensive 15 euro for each room and an Eircom line must be plugged into the boxes.

Sky boxes do have a faster EPG and all the red button stuff I agree.
    The SKY EPG for Ireland is a mess five Irish channels at the top nice but then it is 135 for Channels 4 that has blocked programs and 141 and 142 for BBC 1 and 2.

No extra BBC channels in the guide no ITV channels including UTV.

Sky do not provided the bandwidth most channels rent their own space on one of the Astra satellites or Eurobird they only pay for a listing in the Sky EPG.
    If you want these extra channels a cheap Free to Air box and dish will do the job.
    There are 370 free to air Channels Sky can not take credit for these.
    Also with a Free to Air box you get proper access to all BBC ITV and Free to Air Channel 4 and Five.

Counting channels that are in the Sky pack there are 207 channels including all HD channels so I am counting all the Sky Movie channels twice and Sky Sports 1-3.

On UPC there are there are 148 that is not including pay per view or channels that are listed twice.

Sky in reality have 59 more channels then UPC and there are a few decent extra channels I would not deny and there are some gems like the following.:rolleyes:

Sky Vegas SkyPoker.com STAR Gold STAR News Shorts TV The Africa Channel Diva TV Current TV and there are more.

I would hate if UPC put any of the above into the EPG.

And if people want to avoid pay TV new televisions can get the Irish channels in Digital with a pair of Rabbit Ears and all the British channels and over 300 other channels with a free to air Satellite box.

Indeed many people have gone the free to air route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

And if people want to avoid pay TV new televisions can get the Irish channels in Digital with a pair of Rabbit Ears and all the British channels and over 300 other channels with a free to air Satellite box.
    Indeed many people have gone the free to air route.

The freesat (or possibly even if freeview - see terrestial forum) is a good perhaps better option for anybody who just wants a good basic service without the premium sports etc - I have heard the Freesat HD box is very good.

It looks like we have both experienced dire customer service from both UPC and Sky - I would say that both have EPGs that are in a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I was thinking of switching from Sky to Upc, I have 2 HD boxes with one HD sub multi room and sky sports for 86 euro a month, which is a bit much, Upc can do all that with ESPN for 67 euro a month. After reading all the posts I don't know what to do.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »
    I was thinking of switching from Sky to Upc, I have 2 HD boxes with one HD sub multi room and sky sports for 86 euro a month, which is a bit much, Upc can do all that with ESPN for 67 euro a month. After reading all the posts I don't know what to do.

People has given their opinion here and I would not tell anybody what to do you have to make up your own mind.

If you have any specific questions shoot away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

iv had both, first i had ntl/upc i had to get rid of it signal was crap and the customer service is a joke(really i hope your patient).

the person who came out and installed my ntl was a twat he still went ahead and installed it even though he knew my signal was weak, so eventually i got through to upc and sent out another technician and he told me that ntl should of never been installed here as the signal was terrible.

so after weeks of trying to get all my money back because i got ripped off, upc finally gave in and i got every single penny back which included 2 months bills of around 40 euro and the instilation fee.

i now have sky+ the past year and honestly it is 100 times better from the remote to the box to the channels.

People has given their opinion here and I would not tell anybody what to do you have to make up your own mind.

If you have any specific questions shoot away.

How is recording with UPC compared to Sky? Is it as quick as Sky? Does it series link? The picture quality is as good as Sky both on HD and SD?

200motels wrote: »
    How is recording with UPC compared to Sky? Is it as quick as Sky? Does it series link? The picture quality is as good as Sky both on HD and SD?

Recording is almost the same but the box must be put into standby to record two channels at once.

Yes there is series link.

At one stage I would have said no the picture was much better on Sky but in the last year or so bit rates have gone up and it is now about the same as Sky.
    Hd picture is very nice indeed.

Playing back a recording is missing one feature on Sky you can jump in at any time point by pressing say 20 to go 20mins in on UPC you must fast forward however I have found the fast forward is mush faster then on Sky.

As regards how stable the box is the Cisco HD box is the only one I would recommend the regular boxes are a bit unresponsive.

I am in an upgraded area ie one that offers Phone and HD is some other areas that have not been upgraded there may be less bandwidth.

In areas where there is HD I would say go for it if not I would stick with Sky.

Is it possible to get the Cisco HD DVR box without an HD subscription? We have the silver Thomson and it's a bit finicky (remote is either not responsive or too responsive), and the VFD display died last year. I would prefer the Cisco box over the black Thomson box judging by what's said here.

Is it possible to get the Cisco HD DVR box without an HD subscription? We have the silver Thomson and it's a bit finicky (remote is either not responsive or too responsive), and the VFD display died last year. I would prefer the Cisco box over the black Thomson box judging by what's said here.

HD costs the same so yes you could get that box and use the scart out on it.

Even if you only have a regular TV you can view the HD channels in normal resolution.

Not sure if UPC will install on a non HD tv as it might be considered a waste but it you opt for a self install it is happy sailing.

Isn't HD €5 a month extra? We have an HDTV, but don't care about the HD channels - isn't it only BBC HD on Select Extra anyway?

Isn't HD €5 a month extra? We have an HDTV, but don't care about the HD channels - isn't it only BBC HD on Select Extra anyway?

No any DVR is €5 extra the HD one was 7.50 but now it's the same.

The Thomson Box is a DVR is it not?

Digital Plus what you have 5 euro per month http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplus/

Digital Plus HD the same http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplushd/

Also now of Select Extra you get Nat geo Nat Geo Wild ESPN Crime and Investigation History BBC Bio all in HD.

Edit and Eurosport HD the only extra HD channel on Max Pack is Discovery HD.

• Advertisement

Ah I thought HD was €5 extra on top of Digital+. The website isn't very clear on what HD channels are available with what packages - before it used to list BBC HD only for Select Extra IIRC, but now lists nothing specific.

Thanks for the clarification

Ah I thought HD was €5 extra on top of Digital+. The website isn't very clear on what HD channels are available with what packages - before it used to list BBC HD only for Select Extra IIRC, but now lists nothing specific.

Thanks for the clarification

Your right the site does not make it very clear but this does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

Recording is almost the same but the box must be put into standby to record two channels at once.

Yes there is series link.

At one stage I would have said no the picture was much better on Sky but in the last year or so bit rates have gone up and it is now about the same as Sky.
    Hd picture is very nice indeed.

Playing back a recording is missing one feature on Sky you can jump in at any time point by pressing say 20 to go 20mins in on UPC you must fast forward however I have found the fast forward is mush faster then on Sky.

As regards how stable the box is the Cisco HD box is the only one I would recommend the regular boxes are a bit unresponsive.

I am in an upgraded area ie one that offers Phone and HD is some other areas that have not been upgraded there may be less bandwidth.

In areas where there is HD I would say go for it if not I would stick with Sky.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Am considering upgrading from Analog to Digital+ or maybe Digital+ HD. I don't have a HD TV yet, but may get one soon, and comments here say the HD box is better anyway. Though you only get one HD channel (BBC HD) in the basic HD pack!

The UPC site is bit confusing.
    http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplus/ says Digital+ is €5 extra a month, but
    http://www.upc.ie/television/valuepluspack/ says it's only €1 extra a month.
    They are the same offering, no?!?

After Digital+ is installed, will I still be able to use the Analog service - I hopefully won't need to, but it would be nice just in case I need to record 3 programs simultaneously :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yes, the analogue is still there.

When setting programs to record on the UPC Digital+ box, will it adjust if the program starts early or late?

Or can you set it to record a couple of extra minutes at the beginning and end of the program, just in case?

Also, once a number of programs are recorded, does it display a list of program names for you to choose one to view, or just the channel name & time for each recording?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

mambo wrote: »
    When setting programs to record on the UPC Digital+ box, will it adjust if the program starts early or late?

Or can you set it to record a couple of extra minutes at the beginning and end of the program, just in case?

Also, once a number of programs are recorded, does it display a list of program names for you to choose one to view, or just the channel name & time for each recording?

you can set it record a few min extra at the start and ending

it displays a list of program names and episode number

Thanks for the answers.

Sorry, some more questions...

On Digital+, how many days in advance can you set recordings?
    Can you only set them through the EPG, and if so how many days forward into the future does it show?
    And how many serparate recordings can you set at a time?

On Digital+, how many days in advance can you set recordings?
    Can you only set them through the EPG, and if so how many days forward into the future does it show?
    I think you can go up to 8 days ahead in the EPG, maybe it's further now. You can do series link, but the option is not always there (I think it's only some channels or something).
    You can manually set a recording too, i.e. set channel, date, time, etc. yourself.
    You can set a recording when viewing the now/next thing on a channel too.

UPC have recently added an online EPG to their website: http://tv-guide.upc.ie/TV/
    This may suggest they will introduce remote recording at some stage... hopefully :)
    And how many serparate recordings can you set at a time?

I don't know if there's a limit, I've never encountered any. You can do two simultaneous recpordings but you have to put the DVR in standby for them both to record.

Thanks for all the answers. I've thought up yet more questions... :-)

Once you've recorded a show, can you edit it (e.g. edit out ad breaks)?

Presumably the recordings are compressed on the disk. Can you choose compression levels, and what is the picture quality like when viewing recordings? (e.g. I don't watch football, but it can look particularly poor if over-compressed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Once you've recorded a show, can you edit it (e.g. edit out ad breaks)?
    No (same as Sky)
    Can you choose compression levels
    No (same as Sky)
    what is the picture quality like when viewing recordings?
    I think the stream is recorded straight to disk in whatever bit rate the original broadcast was with (same as Sky, I think). So, in theory, an hour of RTE1 would take up more disk space than an hour of some crappy bitrate channel. Anyway I've never noticed any degradation of quality between the recorded and live broadcast version of a channel (on Sky or UPC).

• Advertisement

>> Once you've recorded a show, can you edit it (e.g. edit out ad breaks)?
    > No (same as Sky)

I hope you can at least fast-forward through the ads during playback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You sure can. I do it all the time with DS9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I hope you can at least fast-forward through the ads during playback?

Yes, you can fast forward, rewind and pause recordings.

cgarvey wrote: »
    I think the stream is recorded straight to disk in whatever bit rate the original broadcast was with (same as Sky, I think). So, in theory, an hour of RTE1 would take up more disk space than an hour of some crappy bitrate channel. Anyway I've never noticed any degradation of quality between the recorded and live broadcast version of a channel (on Sky or UPC).

I assume this is what happens too. Re-compressing possibly already re-compressed MPEG2 video would be terrible. This is what I don't like about standalone DVRs - in most cases you're going through a digital->analogue->digital conversion then re-compressing again.

I've never noticed any degredation in picutre/audio quality with recordings with the UPC DVR.

With Digital+ and/or Digital+ HD, I presume you can choose to watch in 4:3 aspect ratio or in 16:9 widescreen.

But do either support the "compromise" 14:9 format, which is useful on old 4:3 televisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

one thing to note:
    for those of you interested in HD - UPC do not have access to Sky sports HD or SKY Movies HD......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nashcol

I have a UPC box in another room to my tv and I can't change the channel with the remote , I bought a slx Omni link plus but there is no rf out connection ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Nashcol wrote: »
    I have a UPC box in another room to my tv and I can't change the channel with the remote , I bought a slx Omni link plus but there is no rf out connection ??????

Yes,

I was wondering about sky tvlink feature too.. Is something similar available with upc, essentially extending the tv to another room.

Gx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement