Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems

• 20-02-2010 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, first time in here, not sure if its the right place for my particular issue so go easy on me!

ok, so my girlfriends laptop broke and she is stuck with a loaner she got from her brother, an old version of IE is working on it, but when i tried to install opera,firefox, safari or even a newer version of IE, they were unable to connect to the internet

any ideas why this is?

i know its not technically a broadband issue, but we use a broadband connection :)

i have thought of a few things but i cant understand why the older version of IE will work and nothing else will

im sure the answer is quite obvious but im not the best with connectivity issues!

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Eh anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

You need to give a bit more inforamtion.

what OS, eg xp, vista, etc, make of laptop, is it wireless or cable connection, what router, isp provider, and so on. is it BB or dial up?

gb--

she has an acer laptop, windows xp, using a 3 mobile plug in broadband at the moment

not sure about anything else

the odd thing is that the internet explorer version already on the laptop works fine, but anything else that is installed, even upgrading the IE, wont work

ok, this problem is really frustrating for me so maybe if you guys dont have an idea then can anyone point me in the direction of where i might be able to get help with this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you check to see if there is any firewall turned on?

Also check the connection settings in the various browsers and see what options are chosen there and compare them to the settings in the version of internet explorer that works.

ie may be set up for the the 3 mobile bb but the new browsers may not be.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you check to see if there is any firewall turned on?

Also check the connection settings in the various browsers and see what options are chosen there and compare them to the settings in the version of internet explorer that works.

ie may be set up for the the 3 mobile bb but the new browsers may not be.

firewall is fine

ill check the settings on the other browsers, i have never encountered this problem before though so am completely in the dark about it

nope, everything seems fine

im thinking i might just be better off hopping it off the wall?

but i really hate when i cant figure something out!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I meant did you try turning off the firewall?

of course i tried turning off the firewall :)

thats why i said it was fine, still lost here :(

thanks for help so far anyway lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

The problem you are experiencing is common and a pain to fix. In desperation most people either give up or do a clean install. Its a rogue piece of software but chances of finding it are slim.

as another try go here and d/l the diagnostic tool

xxx://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440

then to get really into it head over to pc advisor . co .uk and look at the forums, if they cant help no one can.

And if you do get sorted will you post back with the fix as we are intrigued even if you went and bought a new laptop.

gb--

• Advertisement
Advertisement