Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy jumps in water Fri Night

• 20-02-2010 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm working in Storm,

Guy bangs on the door around 1 am shouting "i'm going to kill myself" sure enough he jumps into the river just opposite the cinema, crazy stuff, Guards are trying to find him I believe. They went down that dodgy looking walkway towards in between Tesco & the apartments

I believe he also said "she left me", poor guy hope he gets sorted out. It was also very very cold I can't imagine what the water was like, Jeans & a Man UTD top was all he was wearing.

Sorry for crappy thread title its 3.30 am and i'm very tired

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

Damn...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jumping into a river cause gf leaves you?
    Drink involved maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

any connection to the other thread in which yer man was trying to jump into the quay???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Clano wrote: »
    any connection to the other thread in which yer man was trying to jump into the quay???

Don't think so.....

This guy was as sober as a judge, he knew what he was up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i can never understand these actions........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

May the gods forgive her actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Don't think so.....

This guy was as sober as a judge, he knew what he was up to

If he wanted to end it, why throw himself there and not at the quay? Why alert people who may in fact save him?

Sounds to me like he didn't want to die, but punish his girlfriend. I sincerely hope he didn't pay the ultimate price for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

It happened in Dungarvan a few years back. A lad had a fight in Davitts nightclub with his girlfriend, walked out past the bouncers and said You'll never see me here again, walked down to the quay and jumped in. He started to scream for help when he realised what he did but no one could get to him, the current was pulling him out.

Very sad what people do in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Isn't that river like 2 foot deep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

JPA wrote: »

I thought the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

JPA wrote: »
    Nah at full tide it would be deep enough but he could probably stand on all the trolleys in it:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I thought the same.

I thought so too. If he jumped in, he'd probably bang his head either off the side or the bottom of the drain and give himself a concussion and then drown if no one got to him quick enough.

Anyone know what happened in the end?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

May the gods forgive her actions.

So if his girlfriend/wife left him its her fault?
    Come on thats a joke, he's a grown man and should be able to deal with things life throws at him, you can't blame somebody else for his actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ew I would pick a swimming pool to jump into. Wouldnt wanna go out being all smelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Cabaal wrote: »
    Come on thats a joke, he's a grown man and should be able to deal with things life throws at him, you can't blame somebody else for his actions

love is a funny aul ting aswelll tho,makes people do silly tings,,well wen there under the influence,,for all you know he fell into a burning ring of fire that nite lol ,,and as hilighted from other posters already,,you would find it hard to drown in that part of the river but if you drank the water thats another story,,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

gscully wrote: »
    If he wanted to end it, why throw himself there and not at the quay? Why alert people who may in fact save him?

Sounds to me like he didn't want to die, but punish his girlfriend. I sincerely hope he didn't pay the ultimate price for it.
    A cry for help just like the man on quay other night thursday i think , i heard from friend of his ex girlfriends that he had text her to say he was going to go jump into the river , then he sits on bridge til cops and other emergency services arive to talk him out...
    Cabaal wrote: »
    EXACTLY just because your girlfriend breaks up with you , does not give you the excuse to try make her guilty for the rest of her life , unfortunately alot of these male suicides and attempts are down to arguments or bein dumped by girlfriends , and of course lots fueled with alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Another selfish b##tard looking for attention ,

Makes my blood boil :mad:
    Yes the real depressed and people who have hit rock bottom need help , But this type of muppet grrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

See your thinking about this rationally. I'm from the school of thought depending on how they do it says allot. For example, imo overdoses and people who tell they are going to jump like the two cases above are generally crying for help.

And then there the saddest cases (and unfortunately i have twice experienced this) of the ones who you dont see coming. And it might seem like loosing a job or money or a break up caused it but in truth its their whole lives have weighed them down to a point that its too hard to go on.

On a final note, the thought that they do it to somehow get back at their ex is frankly an awful assumption.

Ziedth. wrote: »
    See your thinking about this rationally. I'm from the school of thought depending on how they do it says allot. For example, imo overdoses and people who tell they are going to jump like the two cases above are generally crying for help.

And then there the saddest cases (and unfortunately i have twice experienced this) of the ones who you dont see coming. And it might seem like loosing a job or money or a break up caused it but in truth its their whole lives have weighed them down to a point that its too hard to go on.

On a final note, the thought that they do it to somehow get back at their ex is frankly an awful assumption.

Depending how they try ,
    Someone full of drink running up to a door and crying out their intentions is IMO CRYING OUT FOR ATTENTION more so than help ,Hopefully he woke up the next day and felt like the brat he was .

You may think I'm cold heart but I think its pure cowardness and the most selfish act ever.

I wasn't talking about this specific case. I think there is a certain stigma in ireland that people who do it are cowards or attention seekers. Fair enough this chap the OP mentioned my fall into what your talking. i'm just saying that painting them all with the same brush (and i'm not suggesting your saying that) deeply offends me.

• Advertisement

I know one chap who went to jump into the river years ago and got stuck in the mud.
    I have two relations who committed suicide. One of them tried it a few times. Poor woman. She had it tough. Dont know why the other chap done it. He was extremely popular. Then again that doesnt mean anything.

I wasn't talking about this specific case. I think there is a certain stigma in ireland that people who do it are cowards or attention seekers. Fair enough this chap the OP mentioned my fall into what your talking. i'm just saying that painting them all with the same brush (and i'm not suggesting your saying that) deeply offends me.

No offends was meant ,
    And reading your post I see like many people you have first hand experience of it. . but my own personal experience have left me with no sympathy for the so called victims .
    I called the act selfish and I totally believe that .
    The pain and devastation that these people leave behind is unreal , Mothers and Fathers ,Brothers and Sisters and Wives and Partners left to wonder , full of anguish ,unfound guilt and blame , Wondering what Ifs and If onlys. Blaming themselves ,Some never been able to forget or even forgive themselves .Mother and Fathers wondering where they went wrong and how they failed as parents.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    No offends was meant ,
    And reading your post I see like many people you have first hand experience of it. . but my own personal experience have left me with no sympathy for the so called victims .
    I called the act selfish and I totally believe that .
    The pain and devastation that these people leave behind is unreal , Mothers and Fathers ,Brothers and Sisters and Wives and Partners left to wonder , full of anguish ,unfound guilt and blame , Wondering what Ifs and If onlys. Blaming themselves ,Some never been able to forget or even forgive themselves .Mother and Fathers wondering where they went wrong and how they failed as parents.

I can't agree with that. Ten years ago, after a long battle with illness and the death of loved ones, my young cousin decided to end his life. I met him in town that day and we chatted about football. The next day I found out that he'd committed suicide. There was no sign of it in the way he spoke and joked with me, yet he knew full well what he would be doing! If someone can hide such dark emotions so well, you have to believe that rational thought has gone from them.

I used to think, like you, that suicide was selfish too, but having witnessed it myself, I now wonder if it is in some way a very selfless but misguided act. Perhaps my cousin felt he had become a burden, or perhaps he didn't want to inflict his suffering on loved ones any longer.

I think suicide is a huge grey area, neither selfish or selfless. It's just tragic, and I hope my mind is never darkened like that.

gscully wrote: »
    I can't agree with that. Ten years ago, after a long battle with illness and the death of loved ones, my young cousin decided to end his life. I met him in town that day and we chatted about football. The next day I found out that he'd committed suicide. There was no sign of it in the way he spoke and joked with me, yet he knew full well what he would be doing! If someone can hide such dark emotions so well, you have to believe that rational thought has gone from them.

I used to think, like you, that suicide was selfish too, but having witnessed it myself, I now wonder if it is in some way a very selfless but misguided act. Perhaps my cousin felt he had become a burden, or perhaps he didn't want to inflict his suffering on loved ones any longer.

I think suicide is a huge grey area, neither selfish or selfless. It's just tragic, and I hope my mind is never darkened like that.

Sorry to hear about your families lost ,
    I'm not backtracking or anything but the only time I would have any sympathy ,Is in the case of terminal illness and it become an act of selflessness , relieving the burden and suffering of loved ones.

To be honest i wasn't going to bring this up but i feel now i should but one of my best friends who i have known for nearly 8 years died this way in the last 48hours.

I only got involed in this thread because i feel in my own strange way i'm defending him. Of course i have questions as will family members but if i think he was in that kind of emotional pain that would force him to do such a thing who the hell are any of us to say that he should go on and live with it anymore then someone who is in pain from an illness.

Anyway, i'm not lashing out at you rockman you are entitled to believe that as much as i believe my views. I just think that people need to realise that anyone who takes their own life isn't rationally thinking and CANT consider their loved ones.

To be honest i wasn't going to bring this up but i feel now i should but one of my best friends who i have known for nearly 8 years died this way in the last 48hours.

I only got involed in this thread because i feel in my own strange way i'm defending him. Of course i have questions as will family members but if i think he was in that kind of emotional pain that would force him to do such a thing who the hell are any of us to say that he should go on and live with it anymore then someone who is in pain from an illness.

Anyway, i'm not lashing out at you rockman you are entitled to believe that as much as i believe my views. I just think that people need to realise that anyone who takes their own life isn't rationally thinking and CANT consider their loved ones.

Gutted for you Ziedth. I hope you can find a way through the grief and all the other emotions it brings :(

Ziedth , I am very sorry to hear of your lost , and if any of my comments or personal beliefs on this thread have added to that pain ,
    I am sincerely sorry.

They are just my personal views on the subject that come from my own experiences of the matter . Watching a Mother fade away ,become a shell and pass away long before her time because of unfounded self-blame and unanswered questions after the lost of a only son. Has helped harden by views But maybe thats for a different thread /day.

Again Ziedth my sincere sympathies to you and your mates family.

No no, there was no offence taken at all. Like i said it was only reading that kinda struck a nerve cause its society if you will thinks that way. Honestly, i shouldn't have even brought it up! Like i said everyone is entitled to their own view. And thank you for your sympathy.

hmm interesting. One of me mates just bebo'd me saying he had to be rescued by the guards after falling into the river over the weekend. He always wears jeans and man united top. Suppose loads of people wear that kind of get up.

• Advertisement

yeah it was definitely me mate. He said he just had loads of drink on him that night and went a little bit mad. Fair play to the cop for getting him out. He wouldnt be the smallest of chaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement