Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

body fat tests??

• 20-02-2010 7:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey

im not a member of a gym (cant afford it right now) and i dont know where else to have a body fat test done, but ive found some websites that calculate it using measurements of different parts of the body (using a tape measure). I keep getting different results on different sites tho...for eg one site told me i had a body fat % of 19% and another said 34% (i know which one i want to be correct ;))
    Does anyone know any good sites to test this, or is tape measuring not the way to go to measure body fat?

And then when i googled the healthy range for body fat % i get a whole different set of answers , eg - one site said 19% is healthy, another underweight. Another site says 34% is obese, another says healthy :confused:
    So my next question is which one can i trust, does anyone know the factual range? (im female btw)

The reason im doing all this is that ive been trying to lose weight. I'm in the healthy range of bmi but reading on here thats not the best measurement and neither is weight. Ive been jogging since the summer and while im a lot fitter and have lost a little weight, my body shape is still basically the same - i havent firmed up at all. Been reading a few posts on here and they all say weights so im going to try that next. I just want to take my body fat so that i can see an improvement over time to give myself something to aim for and keep myself motivated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

speedy2007 wrote: »
    Hey

im not a member of a gym (cant afford it right now) and i dont know where else to have a body fat test done, but ive found some websites that calculate it using measurements of different parts of the body (using a tape measure). I keep getting different results on different sites tho...for eg one site told me i had a body fat % of 19% and another said 34% (i know which one i want to be correct ;))
    Does anyone know any good sites to test this, or is tape measuring not the way to go to measure body fat?

And then when i googled the healthy range for body fat % i get a whole different set of answers , eg - one site said 19% is healthy, another underweight. Another site says 34% is obese, another says healthy :confused:
    So my next question is which one can i trust, does anyone know the factual range? (im female btw)

The reason im doing all this is that ive been trying to lose weight. I'm in the healthy range of bmi but reading on here thats not the best measurement and neither is weight. Ive been jogging since the summer and while im a lot fitter and have lost a little weight, my body shape is still basically the same - i havent firmed up at all. Been reading a few posts on here and they all say weights so im going to try that next. I just want to take my body fat so that i can see an improvement over time to give myself something to aim for and keep myself motivated. Thanks :)
    go to your local personal trainer and blag a free test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Take a photo once a month to compare. if your not reducing body fat and increasing musle you wont get "firmer" . Reduce calories , and/or increase protein % in diet and/or increase cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 youlooksilly

healthy is less than 18% for male and 26% for women. womens necessary fat is much higher than mens so it wold be unhealthy for you to be lower than 10%. (male btw) http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/body-fat-calculator.asp says im 14.3
    and a test says im 13.9 so is pretty accurate . dont know if it is accurare for women

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

thats mad, the link there says i've 36% body fat but im a size 10-12 maybe a little overweight but not obese!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

hi, thats the same test as i found on here, the US navy bodyfat test.
    http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

but I've a question on how to use it, since you got accurate results off it, do you measure your abdomen with breath out or in or suck in or what?
    what the accurate measurement method?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bubblyone

Where are you in the country? Caliper testing from somebody experienced would be the best overall-cheap and more accurate than bioimpedance (scales/handheld devices). 7 site method would be more accurate than 4 sites generally. Gyms and trainers should be able to offer it but also athletics/exercise physiology departments in colleges/universities. E.g. human performance lab in UCC does it for €10....and VERY accurate. It is possible to get Dexa body composition (pretty much best you can get) done (e.g. in Santry Sports Clinic) but it would be more pricey! I wouldn't really put much faith in the calculators based on measurements. They were never accurate for me but calipers in the right hands were within 1% of Dexa.

The ranges you will see for fat do vary. Age makes a difference and the range for health is different to the range for athletic performance. For a female, the values I got from my exercise physiology book were:

Age 16-29 30-49 50+
    V low fat <13 <14 <16
    Slim 13-20 14-22 16-24
    Acceptable 21-25 23-27 25-29
    Overfat 26-32 28-34 30-35
    V overfat >32 >35 >36

This site gives some percentages for different sports:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/fatcent.htm

relaxed with legs spaced apart 2ft at the belly button

is only accurate for some body types. eg. all fat could be around belly ect.

Advertisement