Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent garden store

• 20-02-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

hi guys , anyone know where in the city where they are selling seedlings (onions , carrots etc. ) im looking to put a few raised bed's in the garden and will also need a good bit of top soil (2 or 3 ton) possibly delievered. plus 5 or 6 decent sized leyanii's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,682 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a nasty suspicion that this post may not be entirely serious. Giving the benefit of doubt...

You will not find anyone here willing to recommend planting laylandii. They are a menace in an urban garden. If you are out in the country, well maybe, but there are still better options. They will cut either your or someone else's light in an urban garden, nothing will grow near/under them, and you will find yourself going to the expense of topping or removing them in a few years.

Carrots are not sold as seedlings, you have to sow seed where they are to grow. This is true of almost all root crops. Onions are grown from seed or sets (small onions). There is no point buying them half grown, other than leeks I don't think you would get them.

Growing veg from seedlings, except where you only want one or two plants, like marrow, cucumber, tomato (yes I know they are all fruit :D) is a very expensive way of doing it.
    Can't help you with the top soil, but if you do get some I would suggest you just grow some early potatoes the first year as you do not know what the quality of the soil will be or how many weed seeds there will be in it.

I think this would be better in Gardening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

i wasnt joking , thanks anyway !

OK, sorry to doubt you :D You should head over to the Recreation/gardening forum where there is a lot of discussion about making raised beds and starting veg gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Lenny in Easter Island on the Lacken Road is always helpful

True, bought a couple of nice shrubs there this week, but none of them - Easter Island, Homebase, McGuires (expensive but probably the best) have much more than pansies and primulas in at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

mcguires..i was out there today getting new fish and they had all the summery stuff in ( bbqs, potatoes,onions etc to plant) etc

Advertisement