Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City V Liverpool, Sunday 21st February, 3pm

• 20-02-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Man City v Liverpool

Venue: City of Manchester Stadium
    Date: Sunday, 21 February 2010 Kick-off: 1500 GMT

The big six pointer which may well decide fourth spot. Liverpool defeated Unirea on Thursday courtesy of a late Ngog goal while our opponents Manchester City were rather fortunate to get a result against stoke when Robert Mancini's recorded a 1-1 draw with Stoke having a late goal disallowed

City start without Patrick Vieira who begins a three match ban for violent conduct following his challenge on Irish international midfielder, Glen Whelan.

Liverpool may have Yossi Benayoun back while Rafa may plump for Lucas in midfield after a less than convincing display by Aqualani on Thursday.

more stats from bbc website
    Head-to-head

• Manchester City are winless against Liverpool in the last nine meetings (D4, L5).

• In the last 15 encounters they have not been separated by more than one goal.

• Roberto Mancini lost both his previous matches against Liverpool - his Inter Milan side losing 2-0 at Anfield and 1-0 at home in the Champions League two years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Man City didn't beat Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

SantryRed wrote: »
    Man City didn't beat Stoke.

Will this be on Sky? or do ESPN have it? Might go down to the pub for this one. Should be a good game, though neither liverpool or City have really been very inspiring to watch of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Memnoch wrote: »
    Will this be on Sky? or do ESPN have it? Might go down to the pub for this one. Should be a good game, though neither liverpool or City have really been very inspiring to watch of late.
    According to Xavi its on Channel five. Strange it isn't been showing live but the fixtures are planned in advance. Still would have thought at the start of the season this would have been a big game to televise.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but will it be live if I go to a pub or am I just better of waiting for MOTD ?

I know Sky are showing Everton v United.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a dumb question, but will it be live if I go to a pub or am I just better of waiting for MOTD ?

I know Sky are showing Everton v United.
    Think its been shown in a few pubs. But would do some scouting first.

• Advertisement

Think its been shown in a few pubs. But would do some scouting first.

Right thanks. Will check out the local. Let's hope for some entertaining, attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'll go for a score draw in this one. Neither side looks better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

"City have bought some very good players and they have a very good team, but I will say one thing - you can buy players, but you cannot buy history," he said.

"I certainly don't want to play for City.

"You can buy stars, you can spend a lot of money to be in the top four, more than us I know, but you can't buy what we have at Anfield.

"Here we play with the history of the club behind us. We don't have their money but we are proud to play for Liverpool.

"I know that they have the money and they are building a good side but I am still so proud to play for Liverpool."

"It is normal for Liverpool to play under pressure all the time, but maybe not for City," he said.

"And although they have spent a lot of money to reach the top four, and have some good players, so do we.

"I think City respect Liverpool because of our history. We will fight until the end."

"We know it will be good for us if Carlito cannot play because we know how good he is," he said.

"I have spoken to him this week but not about football, but because I was worried as the baby was born early.

"I still don't know whether he will stay in Argentina or come back and play. The main thing for me, the only thing, is that he is happy and the baby is well. If he plays, he plays, but the family is the main thing."

"We are in the position where it depends on us. If we succeed, they will have problems, so we have to do our job," he said.

"So we know how important it is to win. If we manage it, then it'll be more difficult for them and they will be the ones under more pressure, that's for sure.

"I know everybody is expecting us to be in the top four - but I have the belief and confidence that we can be there.

"It's true, our experience of having been there already could be important. It depends on the players and if they can manage things well.

"But over the last four or five years we've done well in various competitions so this can hopefully help us. We have managed the pressure well.

"Ourselves and City, as well as Tottenham and Aston Villa,spacer.gif are in a position where we have to keep going until the end.

"Perhaps one game can be a big difference, so it's important to manage the pressure and maybe our experience can help.

"Perhaps City fans are expecting the team to do better now and they will have a little bit of pressure - and maybe it will be more difficult for them.

"But the most important thing for us is not to concentrate on City, but on us. We need to be in a good position and have the chance to invest in the future."

go on the Masch - trying to pile the pressure on City.

looks like Tevez might not make it.

They say he is argentina by all accounts. Not sure what the update on that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

They say he is argentina by all accounts. Not sure what the update on that is.

I would say it's false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hopefully Carlito will come out with all guns blazing!!!!!!!:D

What's the deal with a baby born prematurely, I didn't hear anything about that. I had read he was home for family reasons but god, I hope all is okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huge huge game. Going to be fun to wach. No idea what way it'll go.

I'd expect Liverpool to have the better of it, imo their defence is weak and good teams show that, but to be honest, it could go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Tevez won't be back til Monday, so they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Tevez won't be back til Monday, so they say.

Well that is good news. Their most potent threat. Stoke marshalled them well in the week without Tevez, hopefully we can too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Easy win for Liverpool here. City in freefall and f*cking their big chance royally as I have predicted for weeks. Going for a 3-0 away win. If Vieira plays possibly more, he was complete gash in midweek and his signing was a laughable decision. Haven't been at all impressed by Mancini tbh, more mediocrity from Serie A as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

flahavaj wrote: »
    Easy win for Liverpool here. City in freefall and f*cking their big chance royally as I have predicted for weeks. Going for a 3-0 away win. If Vieira plays possibly more, he was complete gash in midweek and his signing was a laughable decision. Haven't been at all impressed by Mancini tbh, more mediocrity from Serie A as far as I can see.

No worries on the Viera front; he's sitting out the next 3 matches after Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

greendom wrote: »
    No worries on the Viera front; he's sitting out the next 3 matches after Wednesday

Ah yeah forgot that, big boost for City tbh. So much for him coming ina nd being a "leader" anyway.:rolleyes: They'll get away with 3-0 in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd put my house on it that Liverpool won't score three goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think we'll get beaten, even without Tevez and their defensive frailties I just don't fancy Liverpool get anything more then a draw against City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

2-0 to the pool.

• Advertisement

I would think Rafa would be happy with draw. But a win would be a huge result away for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Most teams struggle to beat City at the COMS. Can't see City losing this match but on recent form it may suggest another draw,

How near is Bellamy to getting back in team?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

How near is Bellamy to getting back in team?

He should be back for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

karma_ wrote: »

Bellamy to score 92nd minute winner then.

Hoping for a 1-1 draw.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

karma_ wrote: »

He's been a fantastic outlet on the right for City this year...so I hope he's not starting!! I've a feeling Liverpool are going to knick a win tomorrow for some reason. Our Attack is poor but Citys defence is in a worse state imo. Given saves them time after time from humiliation. Liverpool just need to get creative around the middle - I'd prefer to see us hoofing the ball into the stands trying to switch the play from one wing to the other than see us passing sideways for twenty consecutive posessions with no real threat being generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

hasn't bellamy played on the left for City this year?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    hasn't bellamy played on the left for City this year?
    Yes and he did well in games I saw him in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool haven't scored 3 since the end of September so I can't see them doing that this weekend either. Hopefully pool can continue the more solid defensive displays as some of the top creative players get near to comebacks. I'd go for a draw, but a narrow win for either team would not surprise. Considering the respective home and away records of the 2 teams, City are justified favourites though I think. If city do win, it makes it very difficult for pool to get 4th though.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd put my house on it that Liverpool won't score three goals.
    talk about putting your neck out on the line there Santry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Liverpool to win by the odd goal in a five goal game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

liverpool to win 14 - 0 and then be crowned kings of the cosmos after they defeat the dragonbeast of Xyclos IX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jazzy wrote: »
    liverpool to win 14 - 0 and then be crowned kings of the cosmos after they defeat the dragonbeast of Xyclos IX

You don't per chance live near a head shop do you?

Pool to win 2-1. Kuyt and Dave - Bellamy (has to be him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will be a very tight game only 1 goal will be scored but by who is the big question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont subscribe to the tight game theory to be honest, there was 5 goals in this fixture last season. Any neither defence has been great with some brutal defending from both teams this year.

However, with torres and tevez out i think if will be a game of outright frustration with some glaring misses. Rafa says hes going to attack city, il believe that when i see it. Hopefully babel plays a part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool have stopped conceeding silly goals. Only 2 have got past Riena in the league since the defeat by Pompey (5 all comp). Rafa has set the team up to defend in depth which is boring but working. City on the other hand have conceeded 13 in the same period in all comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

City have had a tougher run of games in all comps in fairness. We were only playing in one comp until we played a team from an area with a smaller population than sligo and still had problems putting them away.

City dont do defensive set ups and rafa says hes going to attack so quite frankly anything could happen :). Could be a gladiatorial massacre of goals.

(probly be a yawn nil-nil now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i'm expecting tomorrows team to be:

reina
    carra, agger, skertl, insua
    lucas, masch
    maxi, stevie, babel
    dirk

if it is that i'll be pretty confident we can win. i'll be betting on 2-1 & maxi 1st:eek:

if sparky was still in charge at the eastlands i wouldnt be as confident. i don't rate mancini as a manager at all and in fact i think he's a bit of a clown. it will be a bad game but i think pool win win :D

evil_seed wrote: »
    i'm expecting tomorrows team to be:

reina
    carra, agger, skertl, insua
    lucas, masch
    maxi, stevie, babel
    dirk

if it is that i'll be pretty confident we can win. i'll be betting on 2-1 & maxi 1st:eek:

if sparky was still in charge at the eastlands i wouldnt be as confident. i don't rate mancini as a manager at all and in fact i think he's a bit of a clown. it will be a bad game but i think pool win win :D
    Yes think Babel has done enough to merit a start now. He made a big impression the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool have stopped conceeding silly goals. Only 2 have got past Riena in the league since the defeat by Pompey (5 all comp). Rafa has set the team up to defend in depth which is boring but working. City on the other hand have conceeded 13 in the same period in all comp.

Agree with this - On the basis of the last few games would have to imagine the superior performance of Liverpool's defence will be a key factor.

Tevez missing will be a big factor for City as well.

Can't see City winning this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Jazzy wrote: »

It'll never happen without Torres :p

Tough one to call this, Liverpool seem to be gearing up to end this season with some degree of form. However, on the basis of the home/away form table I have in front of me, I see City have won at least 6 games on the bounce at home, whilst Liverpool have won one of their last 6 away, so I'm going to say 2-0 City. Will be hoping for a draw though.

Liverpool not conceding too many at the moment.

A nailed on draw.

1-1.

Will be more than happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Easy win for Liverpool here. City in freefall and f*cking their big chance royally as I have predicted for weeks. Going for a 3-0 away win.

no chance of that happening fla

city have beat utd, chelsea and arsenal at home this season (in different competitions), have won their last 6 league games in a row at home, the last time they dropped points at home was november, while their away form may be their downfall their home form is as good as any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't want to offend anyone but this could be a really awful match. :)
    Hopefully not, I'll probably load up a stream if I can.
    4-4 please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is the big Greek lad back for ye yet ?

city havent been that impressive under Mancini imo, where as liverpool have started playing better minus the recent Europa league game (you can understand that because Unirea had 11 men behind the ball) I can see liverpool sneaking a win here

0-1 pool

Gerrard with a peno

I also think Babel should get a look in tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

JPA wrote: »
    I don't want to offend anyone but this could be a really awful match. :)
    Hopefully not, I'll probably load up a stream if I can.
    4-4 please.

No offence taken:)
    It can be as boring as hell as long as City get the 3 points:D

Husband is a pool fan so will be a tense day tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm surprised at the number of people that think Liverpool will win this match. Away from home we've been average at best, and we showed against Unirea that although we have improved, we're not quite at that level yet.

Obviously hoping for a 'Pool win, but I'd be happy with a draw, and wouldn't be surprised to see City win it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My head says draw, my heart says 1 nil to liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fer Petes Sake! If Torres is on the bench at start of play tomorrow I shall literally eat my hat. Actually I may eat my shat so stupid is that story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement