Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City V Liverpool, Sunday 21st February, 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I just have the decency to recognise everything he's done for the club. I don't like to have a go at him because of that.

Has he been great this year ? No.

Am I going to criticise him and say he should be dropped and stripped of the captaincy ? No.

He should be playing in midfield alongside Mascherano, because without a decent ball playing midfielder in the team he's wasted in the AM position.

Jesus Christ. He has been AWFUL this year. He hasn't looked like scoring unless someone gives him a penalty for the best part of a year.

His attitude has absolutely stunk. He should be dropped of course, based on current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I've wanted him sacked ever since he signed Keane.
    Why was signing Keane a sackable offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but yet have the audacity to claim you have decency to stand by gerrard for wat he's done for the club?wow.

It's hardly audacious to stand by Gerrard.

Audacious is claiming Lucas is a great young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Liverpool	Arsenal		Man City	Spurs		Villa

Blackburn (h)	Stoke (a)	   	      Everton (h)	Sunderland (h)
    Wigan (a)	Burnley (h)	Chelsea (a)	Man  City (a)	Stoke (a)
    Portsmouth (h)	Hull (a)	Tottenham (h)	Blackbrun (h)	Wigan (a)
    Man Utd (a)	West Ham (h)	Sunderland (a)	Stoke (a)	Wolves (h)
    Sunderland (h)	Birmingham (a)	Fulham (a)	Portsmouth (h)	Chelsea (a)
    Birmingham (a)	Wolves (h)	Wigan (h)	Sunderland (a)	Bolton (a)
    Fulham (h)	Tottenham (a)	Burnley (a)	Arsenal (h)	Everton (h)
    West Ham (h)	Wigan (a)	Birmingham (a)	Chelsea (h)	Portsmouth (a)
    Burnly (a)	Man City (h)	Man Utd (h)	Man Utd (a)	Birmingham (h)
    Chelsea (h)	Blackburn (a)	Arsenal (a)	Bolton (h)	Man City (a)
    Hull (a)	Fulham (h)	Aston Villa (h)	Burnley (a)	Blackburn (h)
    				West Ham (a)	

bar the utd and chelsea, liverpool have a very good run in

Why was signing Keane a sackable offence?

Do you really need an answer to that one ?

It was the worst signing the club has ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

good to see liverpool win comfortably 14 - 0. and to save all those children from that out of control 18 wheeler was just the icing on the cake. the galactic president of Rigel VII is apparantly going to be giving out medals to the lads too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

were you asleep when Houllier, Evans and Souness were in charge?

Headshot wrote: »

bar the utd and chelsea ,Liverpool have a very good run in
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Headshot wrote: »
    ?

would he still be injured or something, this season must be his worse.

I was being severly tongue in cheek headshot. For a good 2/3 months we defended like cretins letting in late goals. But its still staggering to me that gerrard takes the brunt, he has not been his best but he has had long spells without quality around him and also had his own injuries and has been taking injections to play matches. Because at the end of the day an 80% gerrard is still in the top 2 players at this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rosco lad, you've made a bit of a fool of yourself. rafa should have been sacked the minute he signed keane, despite gettin the majority of the money back and mounting our best ever season in the PL, yet suggesting gerrard be put on the bench for a game cause of his awful form all season is beyond the pale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rosco lad, you've made a bit of a fool of yourself. rafa should have been sacked the minute he signed keane, despite gettin the majority of the money back and mounting our best ever season in the PL, yet suggesting gerrard be put on the bench for a game cause of his awful form all season is beyond the pale?

he may be gone a while, he's looking back through the list of bad signings Souness made and regretting he said anything...

daithjjj-you seem to be excusing gerrards form cause he's had long spells without quality around him. is that an excuse for kuyt who has subsequently regained a bit of form, considering he had to play wit gerrard who has been distinctly 'without quality' this season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you see why i choose to live in fantasy land on the forum now? give it a try al, its so much better then the real soccer forum... and liverpool are top of the federated galactic league table by 28 points :D

Keane came to club with a good pedigree. But just didnt fit into Rafa's game plan. Robbie should have stayed with Spurs though. He was doing well there. See he was on the mark yesterday.

Yes.

Anyone who thinks this team would be better off without Gerrard is quite literally retarded.

Obviously Keane wasn't the only reason I want Rafa sacked. But it was a major **** up whatever way you look at it. We lost £8m on him. We scored twice as many goals after he was sold back to Spurs. We didn't finish second in the league because we bought Robbie Keane, but we didn't win the league because we did buy Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

My problem with Gerrard is his leadership (or lack of). He looks completely disinterested. A captain should inspire the team by leading the line in terms of passion, work rate and commitment. These are the mental attributes required for a good skipper. Gerrard has shown none this season. How many times have you seen Gerrard just stroll around the pitch today when we didn't have the ball. I don't mind that he isn't scoring or creating goals. Players go through bad spells. It is his lack of leadership. I don't think he should be dropped of stripped of his captaincy like some are calling for. I do, however, think Rafa should pull him aside and tell him if he isn't willing to show the leadership we all know he is capable of then he will give the captaincy to someone else. A nice cup or "cop the fuck on" would do wonders for him.

Keane came to club with a good pedigree. But just didnt fit into Rafa's game plan. Robbie should have stayed with Spurs though. He was doing well there. See he was on the mark yesterday.

For Celtic.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

someone asked what's wrong with gerrard this season? my answer is that he is saving himself for the world cup. he's been injured a good bit this season. he's back playing, but by not over doing it, or by playing in spurts he's keeping himself in good nick for the trip to south africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Another sh*t performance.
    Echoing what someone else said earlier, you have to question if these players are being coached properly. When we have the ball it should be second nature that all the other players should be in motion, looking to find space.
    Also, our good run of results, has done nothing to our level of confidence, it seems.

Something still very wrong with the team.

At the start of the season, after the Villa and Spurs games it was clear something was very wrong with the way the team was playing. Months, and over 30 games later, this has not changed. Someone defend this, because i can't.

A point away to city is a good result, but i see no improvement in the teams football, and i don't have any idea what direction the team is going in.

we didn't lose 8m on him but i don't really have anything more to say to you, you're the kind of fan that makes me wish i didn't love football.

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »
    someone asked what's wrong with gerrard this season? my answer is that he is saving himself for the world cup. he's been injured a good bit this season. he's back playing, but by not over doing it, or by playing in spurts he's keeping himself in good nick for the trip to south africa
    Dont buy that.

daithjjj-you seem to be excusing gerrards form cause he's had long spells without quality around him. is that an excuse for kuyt who has subsequently regained a bit of form, considering he had to play wit gerrard who has been distinctly 'without quality' this season

Tell me this mr alan. You want the yanks out and the club run properly with some money made available (like most of us do). What would you do with said money and where would you be replacing players. Im just curious, because you seen to be saying that gerrard is seemingly the only man at fault on the pitch. So please, feel free to enlighen me on where you want to spend the cash that we all want.

Im not 'excusing' gerrard from anything, i think ive taken an objective view considering the gaffers two big players in the summer are barely playing a game, torres and benny out, riera being complete muck. Do you think gerrard is this much of a great player that he can just bring liverpool to the boil without johnson, torres, aquilani, benny, the 'lost' form of last seasons riera etc etc???. You can only be as good as the players around you, having said that, gerrard has had his own problems as have others. Kuyt should have been dropped months ago but is also 'immune'. You seem to 'walking through the strorm' with kuyt but not gerrard, why is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We have a Liverpool specific thread for recycled topics such as Rafa out, Robbie Keane's signing and Gerrard's poor form.

This is for today's match ONLY.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    We have a Liverpool specific thread for recycled topics such as Rafa out, Robbie Keane's signing and Gerrard's poor form.

Nothing from stopping our city brethen joining in. the Keane signing aside surely the other two are related?

Fair enough, apologies, kinda went off on a tangeant there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nothing from stopping our city brethen joining in. the Keane signing aside surely the other two are related?

Very few people outside of Liverpool fans really gives a genuine fook about their American owners or Gerrard's run of form. City fans certainly don't so why would we want to get involved in the same rehashed topics? This is a match thread to talk about, yep you've guessed it, the match.

If you want to talk about today's game then do so. If you want to question a mod note again then don't do it on thread.

I'm not excusing anyone at all. and i'm not picking on gerrard and ignoring kuyt, couple of months ago i said i'd drop kuyt for a couple of games, thankfully he found a vain of form again. I'm simply saying the same about gerrard now. This season has simply been a nightmare, injuries like i've never known and to key players at key times. I've written this season of a long time ago. I'd just try get fourth,try win uefa cup, and then prepare for next season, the situation our club is in means we won't be able to compete unless we have an element of luck re;injuries, i'd pick up a new backup right back, a new wide player in the summer and a back up striker and simply hope our best players won't be crocked for the majority of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Not much to say really, match is over. We got a point, wished we'd gotten 3 but we didn't. End of!!

Would love to be able to say what the manager should've done but if they can't get it right I don't know why any of us think we could do better.
    If that's the case I'd be sitting in a fancy gaff somewhere in the Northeast of England instead of sitting here in the West of Eire.

sorry xavi, only saw your note now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Never mind me, not meaning to be smart with anyone but just sick of bloody draws:mad:

Very few people outside of Liverpool fans really gives a genuine fook about their American owners or Gerrard's run of form. City fans certainly don't so why would we want to get involved in the same rehashed topics? This is a match thread to talk about, yep you've guessed it, the match.

If you want to talk about today's game then do so. If you want to question a mod note again then don't do it on thread.
    Sorry didnt mean to be disrepectful there Xavi6. Cant say much about todays game as Ill be watching highlights later. What was your take on the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is Gerrard undroppable or something?

I'd keep him in the team, solely because Torres is back.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Is Gerrard undroppable or something?

I'd keep him in the team, solely because Torres is back.
    You mean is he droppable in terms of how he played today ;)

There is certainly an argument to get Aqualani in for Gerrard for a game or two.

Can't lose much more creatively.

noodler wrote: »
    There is certainly an argument to get Aqualani in for Gerrard for a game or two.

Aquilani just struggling to make an impact an impact at moment and Jeff Kenna said as much the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Aquilani just struggling to make an impact an impact at moment and Jeff Kenna said as much the other night.
    scraping the barrel?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    scraping the barrel?
    Jeff Kenna a premiership player. An Irish International. You don't think his point was valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jeff Kenna a premiership player. An Irish International. You don't think his point was valid?

You have a thing for pundits. Very few have a more valid opinion than you or I IMO.

Aqualani hasn't been given nearly enough games yet.

Gerrard isn't making much of an impact at the moment either.

I am just waiting for some revelation that he has been playing through the pain barrier with injury.

I'd play Aqualani instead in the Europa Cup games.

Writing Aqualani of at this stage is ridiculous.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

You think thats the reason Rafa isn't playing him in the league? Cos he has written him off?

Hmm.. I sure hope not.
    Would have preferred a weaker team in the Europa League game on Thursday gone.

You think thats the reason Rafa isn't playing him in the league? Cos he has written him off?

Hmm.. I sure hope not.
    Would have preferred a weaker team in the Europa League game on Thursday gone.

No, the opposite. I'm not writing him off at all.

Aquilani not getting stuck in enough. Passing is good but there are times when he gets caught in possession. How much game time if any did he get today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Trust me, i wouldn't listen to anything Jeff Kenna has to say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aquilani not getting stuck in enough. Passing is good but there are times when he gets caught in possession. How much game time if any did he get today.

About 6 minutes

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    About 6 minutes
    Six minutes. Rafa must be warming to him at last ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MOTD commentator, "We've played an hour, feels like 5."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just seeing the Yossi penalty chance at the end. Glad he stayed up when he could.Always prefer to see that whether its for or against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liverpool are very lucky mascherano didn't get sent off because for me he's the main reason they've come back into the race for fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

By the way, Gareth Barry. Thank Christ we didn't sign him. Anonymous. I will give a younger Aqualiani a better chance

I genuinely think City signed him cos Liverpool were after him and they tried to make some sort of statement

• Advertisement
Advertisement