Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City V Liverpool, Sunday 21st February, 3pm

Comments

Torres won't be playing tomorrow. He's a while off yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2-0 Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I want to see something like this:

Reina
    Carragher Skrtel Agger Aurelio
    Macherano Lucas
    Kuyt Gerrard Babel
    Ngog

With Adam Johnson on such fine form since joining City, he'd be a handful for Insua down the right. Aurelio is marginally the better defender, and from previous experience usually can get the upper hand on decent RMs. I want Babel to start, like most people on here, but realistically it'll be Riera, who was shíte during the week. Babel really has merited a start though, and if he doesn't get one in the next few games it's ridiculous. I also want to see Ngog keep his place, but I'm expecting Kuyt to go back up top and Maxi to come into the side on the right. Maxi has been a bit of a disappointment so far, but he needs some bedding in time and to be quite honest I'm surprised at how much he's featured so far. Lucas will start of course in midfield, which I have no complaints of because of his recent form, but Aquilani I feel is starting to feel more at home and he's grown out much more in recent games, his passing is sweeter and more effective, and he'd be a good option to counteract City's enforcers De Jong and Barry.

Not confident though, Adebayor needs only one chance and our lack of a goalscorer will show, unless Gerrard can deliver one out of a hat which is due. If Bellamy or Petrov starts, along with AJ, City will absolutely demolish us along the sides, and with Vieira out it may mean Mancini could go back to the two wide-man formation they played under for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

hoping for, Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insua, Lucas, Masch, Kuyt, Gerrard, Aurelio, Ngog. that'll leave people like Albert,Maxi, Babel and Aquilani on the bench which will give us good options as the game goes on. I'd favour Aurelio as he hasn't let us down really in the past when selected in big games and City are very strong at home and with Richards and Johnson on their right, it could be a tough day out that side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I saw an ad last night for the Trocaire fast. Shay Given pops up saying that he's giving up watching sports.

Bloody great news ahead of the game today.:)

I saw an ad last night for the Trocaire fast. Shay Given pops up saying that he's giving up watching sports.

Bloody great news ahead of the game today.:)

:D

He's been off form recently, hopefully he can keep that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

According to Xavi its on Channel five.

:confused: Since when did the Barca midfielder give you tv listings, i.e. it must have been him that told you cause it sure as hell wasn't me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Looking forward to this. Really annoyed it's not on bloody Setanta or Sky sports though.

Have to say that the posting in here has been very decent from both sets of fans and hope that it will remain that way later.

Good luck to the pool fans and City fans and let's hope it's a good game, but with a sh*tload of City goals:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Looking forward to this. Really annoyed it's not on bloody Setanta or Sky sports though.

Have to say that the posting in here has been very decent from both sets of fans and hope that it will remain that way later.

Good luck to the pool fans and City fans and let's hope it's a good game, but with a sh*tload of City goals:D:p
    Unfortunately wont get to see game live or via streaming. Will have to watch it later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I want to see something like this:

Reina
    Carragher Skrtel Agger Aurelio
    Macherano Lucas
    Kuyt Gerrard Babel
    Ngog

With Adam Johnson on such fine form since joining City, he'd be a handful for Insua down the right. Aurelio is marginally the better defender, and from previous experience usually can get the upper hand on decent RMs. I want Babel to start, like most people on here, but realistically it'll be Riera, who was shíte during the week. Babel really has merited a start though, and if he doesn't get one in the next few games it's ridiculous. I also want to see Ngog keep his place, but I'm expecting Kuyt to go back up top and Maxi to come into the side on the right. Maxi has been a bit of a disappointment so far, but he needs some bedding in time and to be quite honest I'm surprised at how much he's featured so far. Lucas will start of course in midfield, which I have no complaints of because of his recent form, but Aquilani I feel is starting to feel more at home and he's grown out much more in recent games, his passing is sweeter and more effective, and he'd be a good option to counteract City's enforcers De Jong and Barry.

Not confident though, Adebayor needs only one chance and our lack of a goalscorer will show, unless Gerrard can deliver one out of a hat which is due. If Bellamy or Petrov starts, along with AJ, City will absolutely demolish us along the sides, and with Vieira out it may mean Mancini could go back to the two wide-man formation they played under for a while.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    hoping for, Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insua, Lucas, Masch, Kuyt, Gerrard, Aurelio, Ngog. that'll leave people like Albert,Maxi, Babel and Aquilani on the bench which will give us good options as the game goes on. I'd favour Aurelio as he hasn't let us down really in the past when selected in big games and City are very strong at home and with Richards and Johnson on their right, it could be a tough day out that side.

Aurelio 2 games in three days = the crazy talking.
    Come on lads you know better.
    Insua a certainty to start LB imo.
    City's defence is poor and in spite of not being that big a Babel fan I reckon he has to start on the left.
    Gerrard looked livelier against the Romanians and if he had been on form could easily have bagged a hat-trick. Fingers crossed for things to spark for him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Unfortunately wont get to see game live or via streaming. Will have to watch it later

I could watch it via streaming but much prefer the telly so I can relax rather than waiting for the feed to freeze every few mins....

I could watch it via streaming but much prefer the telly so I can relax rather than waiting for the feed to freeze every few mins....
    Yes just got the sky sports in a few weeks ago. Streaming has its plusses but it can be a bit frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Is KO 3 or 4?

three pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

as i said, liverpool to be pronounced best team in the cosmos and all sh1tters (utd fans MAINLY) to work in the slave dungeons to make me better watches and bling. as your king my dedication to time keeping is of upmost importance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Hard to believe nobody is televising this one over here. Good luck getting a stream working today boys and girls.
    Looks like I may as well spend the afternoon with my lousy kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Reina
    Insua
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Carragher

Lucas
    Mascherano

Rodriguez
    Gerrard
    Babel

Kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bib watch?

mike65 wrote: »
    Bib watch?

no idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If Babel does start, expect him to be taken off after an hour for being shít.

will be on the left wing with Insua behind him to deal with Johnson, Rafa always does it when he is worried about a right winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Babel doesn't deserve to start because he loses the ball too often and when push comes to shove he'll hardly dig in for you. Just watch him today when he comes on and take note of how many times the play breaks down when it gets to him. He is useless. Really hope we win today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Masch
    Lucas

---Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel---

N'Gog

- pick players on form. Aquilani, Maxi and Aurelio don't deserve a look-in.
    - pick players to execute our own game plan rather than setting out just to stop city's. They aren't Barca in the Nou Camp.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Babel doesn't deserve to start because he loses the ball too often and when push comes to shove he'll hardly dig in for you. Just watch him today when he comes on and take note of how many times the play breaks down when it gets to him. He is useless. Really hope we win today!
    Not really fair that. He did very well the other night.

I don't know about anyone else but I can live with a player losing possession so long as he's trying to make something happen.

We've got far too many players who are content to play the game not trying to make things happen, instead preferring to keep shipping the ball sideways and abdicating any sort of responsibility for our play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He did well coming on against Arsenal and again the other night but that is the problem with Babel. If he does start today he will just sulk around the pitch instead of actually putting in any effort. Its been the same for 2 years now, i dont expect it to change.

Melion wrote: »
    He did well coming on against Arsenal and again the other night but that is the problem with Babel. If he does start today he will just sulk around the pitch instead of actually putting in any effort. Its been the same for 2 years now, i dont expect it to change.
    I think Babel has realized that Rafa has handed him a chance here. Its up to him to grasp the nettle. And he seems to have made a positive response. Terrific cross to find Pacheco that led to Ngog goal the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

The Insua/Aurelio option was very poor in the Reading first leg. Don't really like to see aurelio in midfield, hoping riera or babel starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Melion wrote: »
    If he does start today he will just sulk around the pitch instead of actually putting in any effort. Its been the same for 2 years now, i dont expect it to change.

I've been very critical of Babel in the past but he has looked better in the last few games. I wouldn't be sorry to see him start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

For the love of all that is good Mancini, please pick a positive team today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Delighted to see Babel start, this is a big move from Rafa.

• Advertisement

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Reina
    Insua
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Carragher

Lucas
    Mascherano

Rodriguez
    Gerrard
    Babel

Kuyt

Above Team confirmed. Bench:

Subs: Cavalieri, Torres, Benayoun, Aquilani, Riera, Aurelio, Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Babel start, this is a big move from Rafa.

It is. Have to say, rafa's handling of Babel since the transfer window closed has been absolutely perfect.

Very obviously drew a line under everything that had gone before and said nothing but positive things about Babel. Gave him his chances in cameo appearances, but with enough time to actually do something, and now rewarding his improved efforts and attitude with a start in a big game.

Who said Rafa's bad at man management?

Bit surprised with the lack of N'Gog or Pacheco on the bench. To me that says that Rafa is definately going to put Torres on at some point. The fact he's the only striking option on the bench, Rafa must be very confident he's okay to play 30minutes or so, which is fantastic news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Above Team confirmed. Bench:

Good team.

And Nando and Benni back! Hopefully they won't be required

hope Babel proves me wrong so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insua, Kuyt, Lucas, Mascherano, Maxi, Gerrard, Babel.

Good bench today as well.

Am hoping that Babel's start means he is either on the right or up front.

up front?! God no please. Left or right will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Strongest bench we've had in a while.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Is this being televised?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Strongest bench we've had in a while.

Just confirms that we actually have a good team when everyone is fit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

City squad?

thank God Viera is banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

mike65 wrote: »
    Fer Petes Sake! If Torres is on the bench at start of play tomorrow I shall literally eat my hat. Actually I may eat my shat so stupid is that story.
    Tuck in Mike! Yum Yum. Poo hat!

Huge game today. Not convinced with that Liverpool backline. Too many inconsistent players there for my liking. Expect Adebayor to score today. 2-1 City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

up front?! God no please. Left or right will do fine.

Well if Rafa does not play Kuyt up front, then there is no other player in the first eleven to play there other than Babel.

presume kuyt will be up top, with maxi and babel on the left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Here we go baby! It's put up or shut up time for City. This could be game of the season.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

absolutely massive game today. just thinking is it more important not to lose today than it is to actually win the game. i know thats a very negative thing to say but i think it is and knowing rafa he'll be thinking the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well if Rafa does not play Kuyt up front, then there is no other player in the first eleven to play there other than Babel.

I would expect Kuyt up front though.
    A; He's on good scoring form, and
    B; we're playing away, so when we're breaking, pace from deep is vital. Kuyt 's natural position as a centre forward when we're defending would be to hang about by the halfway line. With Babel playing deeper in this situation, he's the logical outball to receive it wide, sprint on, play it centre for kuyt to hold, and keep running beyond for the knock on. Textbook.

Rafa said during the week that he intends to attack City, the team sheet proves that. Could be a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

can't believe 2 things.
    1 - i got the team selection spot on
    2 - nando is on the bench :eek:

mike65, if you're a man of your word, bon appetit hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    . Kuyt 's natural position as a centre forward when we're defending would be to hang about by the halfway line. With Babel playing deeper in this situation, he's the logical outball to receive it wide, sprint on, play it centre for kuyt to hold, and keep running beyond for the knock on. Textbook.

i absolutely love this. it really is simple as that.

Come on liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Given
    Bridge
    Zabaleta
    Lescott
    Kompany
    Ireland
    Wright-Phillips
    A Johnson
    Barry
    De Jong
    Adebayor

Sub
    Taylor, Richards, Sylvinho, Toure, Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Ibrahim

Happy with this team, most balanced team he has picked so far. My confidence of a City win has just risen tenfold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement