Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City V Liverpool, Sunday 21st February, 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

What a POS match that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

happy enough wit a draw there-win would have been a great result, but with Citys home form all season, twas pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Well thank god it's over.

The full "highlights" will make a great drinking game. Every misplaced pass take a shot, every bad referee decision take a shot...proper drunk about 15-20 minutes in.

You must be well able to hold your drink. Reckon ya will have had about 20 shots by the end of the first 5mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A few of those players need to have their legs broken after putting viewers through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Awful game.

If Spurs win this evening, then it will become very tight between 4th and 7th, plus Villa and City still have a game in hand on Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As i predicted the draw. Rafa a cautious man by nature.
    Yea, he needs to protect that Europa Cup spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i think torres got booked for dissent. 0-0 is a fair result. both teams tried but in the end did damn all to score. 1 save from reina and given a piece says it all really. i'd give m.o.m to skertl or masch. the ref had an absolute cock-up of a performance. soft frees against both teams & non calls against both teams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

awful match alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Everton to get 4th since neither of these clubs clearly want it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

That ref was the biggest Homer i have seen yet

For real ?

Did you miss the foul Agger got away with in the box ? Did you miss the second bookable offence that Mascherano got away with ?

He didn't do either side any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

A few of those players need to have their legs broken after putting viewers through that.
    thats a bit extreme that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That ref was the biggest Homer i have seen yet

Yes, which is why he gave a peno for a blatant Agger push and sent off Mascherano for a second yellow card.

Oh wait now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't believe i sat through the last 180 minutes of those matches on Thursday and today. I can't believe how bad both teams were.

The passing was absolutely atrocious!!! Mascherano kept giving the ball away all day. But he wasn't alone. Shambolic

And as for the ref, my God he was brutal. A brutal ref for a brutal match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

at the start of the game people said rafa had picked the right team, an attacking one. so are people going to spin it by saying we were too defensive now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea, he needs to protect that Europa Cup spot.

fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

The technique of several liverpool players is so poor. In particular, Lucas, Babel, Kuyt and Insua. If you can't control the ball, passing it becomes an impossibility. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

yawn.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Ref suited the game perfect - crap.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    happy enough wit a draw there-win would have been a great result, but with Citys home form all season, twas pretty unlikely.

Yeah no side could have possibly beaten that City team today. They were awesome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

at the start of the game people said rafa had picked the right team, an attacking one. so are people going to spin it by saying we were too defensive now?

Of course, simple fact people are idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

A draw was a fair result. Neither team did enough to win the game.

Masch was an absolute beast today. Best player on the pitch by a country mile. Made so many important tackles and was at the heart of our spells of possession.

Liverpool truly are a dreadful team to watch this season. I can't think of the last exciting game they were. If I was a neutral I would have no interest in watching their matches.

I think Benitez needs to have a word with Gerrard. I'm not expecting him to be scoring screamers all over the shop but to just show some passion and commitment. He is supposed to be the leader of out team and he reminds me more of a brat on his picky sometimes.

mayordenis wrote: »

fact...

Putting attacking players on the pitch is all very well and good, but having a game plan to attack the opposition is a different matter.

We're a solid, predictable team that lacks real ambition going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That was a truly atrocious game of football, Johnson seemed the only player ever likely to produce something and then he petered out somewhat in the second half.

God I really hate people bitching about referee decisions. Referees are human, they make mistakes. Stop blaming them and instead point to your own teams failings. It's pathetic.

Lol, was thinking that alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Man city have let in more goals at home than burnley, so i was hoping for liverpool to score at least,
    cant even remember a chance,
    Benny should have gone down, it was a foul after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mayordenis wrote: »

Heh, high five guys!

How about the fact we can't seem to play any football in ANY team he picks.

magma69 wrote: »
    God I really hate people bitching about referee decisions. Referees are human, they make mistakes. Stop blaming them and instead point to your own teams failings. It's pathetic.
    too many mistakes this year IMO

Masch was an absolute beast today. Best player on the pitch by a country mile. Made so many important tackles and was at the heart of our spells of possession.

Lol no he wasn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

god that was one the worst games I have seen. Both teams were just happy with draw. Poor stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice result for Villa this.

Liverpool just don't have the creative attacking minded players in their squad. Babel is more of an attacking threat than Riera but he still doesn't cut it as a creative attacking force. Rafa pick a team as attacking minded as the formation would allow. It is the squad that is the problem.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol no he wasn't
    He was by far. Who was better than him? His defensive duties were top notch. Nobody in that midfield was better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Liverpool just don't have the creative attacking minded players in their squad. Babel is more of an attacking threat than Riera but he still doesn't cut it as a creative attacking force. Rafa pick a team as attacking minded as the formation would allow. It is the squad that is the problem.

Our squad???
    We had Torres, Aquilani and Benayoun on the fúcking bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    For real ?

Did you miss the foul Agger got away with in the box ? Did you miss the second bookable offence that Mascherano got away with ?

He didn't do either side any favours.

what the one were agger was pushed 1st.

what about the foul on yossi when he stayed up and the off the ball take out of agger near the end too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

god that was one the worst games I have seen. Both teams were just happy with draw. Poor stuff.

Yes, yes they were. :D
    Feck it, could be worse, could've lost

too many mistakes this year IMO
    Get over it. As long as we have human referees we will have mistakes. Go write a letter to bring in better refereeing technology to the FA. Bitching on internet forums is pointless.

He was by far. Who was better than him? His defensive duties were top notch. Nobody in that midfield was better.

Are you saying he was the best player on the pitch for Liverpool, or that he was the best player between both teams?

If it is the former then I would agree with you.

• Advertisement

Lol no he wasn't

He was Liverpool's best anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Zabaleta was the best player on the pitch

Melion wrote: »
    Our squad???
    We had Torres, Aquilani and Benayoun on the fúcking bench.
    Torres and Benny were injured. Aquaman hasn't been cutting it lately and did nothing when he came on. I'm fairly sure Torres and Benny would have started if fit.

Ratings:

Reina - 6.5 - Did everything that was asked of him.
    Carragher - 6.5 - Ditto
    Agger - 5 - Caught out in possession a couple of times, lucky not give a penalty away.
    Skrtel - 7.5 - Very solid performance from him today, kept a tight rein on Adebayor. Should have scored.
    Insua - 6. - Not a complete liability today.
    Maxi - 5.5 - Nice but ineffective footballer.
    Lucas - 5 - Rubbish. One of the worst centre midfielders ever to play regularly for Liverpool.
    Mascherano - 7.5 - two thirds of the earth's surface is covered by water, the rest is covered by this lad. that said he was lucky to stay on the pitch.
    Babel - 5 - We know he never plays well when he starts, passing was wayward and he never really threatened the way we know he can. Did put in some effort today though.
    Gerrard - 6. Still not at his best but had little support around him.
    Kuyt - 6. He tried and tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

what the one were agger was pushed 1st.

what about the foul on yossi when he stayed up and the off the ball take out of agger near the end too

Was it 6 yellows for liverpool and 0 for city? (not sure)

He books torres for decent from 30 yards away and fails to book given for the same in the first half. I said he was 'homer' at halftime, i think hes just a sh1te ref to be honest.

De Jong was better in midfield, and Zabaleta was the best player on the park.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    He was Liverpool's best anyway

Indeed, but he didn't say that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Liverpool can win next 3 in league easy, Man city won't win next 3

noodler wrote: »
    Heh, high five guys!

How about the fact we can't seem to play any football in ANY team he picks.

once again in tactics and ability that team was capable of beating city, from there it is up to the players to do their job. few did.

my only criticism of rafa is not dropping Gerrard at all. i would not like to play in a team that has hit a bad patch with Gerrard, he is a c*ck. when he decided to take the ball of insua, and then got in insua's way, the ball rolled out of play, no apology just a look of you idiot to Insua, a 21 year old, from the club legend. that is not a how a captain acts on the pitch...

once again in tactics and ability that team was capable of beating city, from there it is up to the players to do their job. few did.

my only criticism of rafa is not dropping Gerrard at all. i would not like to play in a team that has hit a bad patch with Gerrard, he is a c*ck. when he decided to take the ball of insua, and then got in insua's way, the ball rolled out of play, no apology just a look of you idiot to Insua, a 21 year old, from the club legend. that is not a how a captain acts on the pitch...
    Just how bad was this game guys. How many minutes will MOTD2 give to it tonight?

De Jong was better in midfield, and Zabaleta was the best player on the park.

Indeed, but he didn't say that.

Zabaleta had a good game alright. Masch was far better than De Jong. Liverpool were better in midfield, Masch was at the heart of that. Especially considering how ineffective Lucas was.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Ratings:

Reina - 6.5 - Did everything that was asked of him.
    Carragher - 6.5 - Ditto
    Agger - 5 - Caught out in possession a couple of times, lucky not give a penalty away.
    Skrtel - 7.5 - Very solid performance from him today, kept a tight rein on Adebayor. Should have scored.
    Insua - 6. - Not a complete liability today.
    Maxi - 5.5 - Nice but ineffective footballer.
    Lucas - 5 - Rubbish. One of the worst centre midfielders ever to play regularly for Liverpool.
    Mascherano - 7.5 - two thirds of the earth's surface is covered by water, the rest is covered by this lad. that said he was lucky to stay on the pitch.
    Babel - 5 - We know he never plays well when he starts, passing was wayward and he never really threatened the way we know he can. Did put in some effort today though.
    Gerrard - 6. Still not at his best but had little support around him.
    Kuyt - 6. He tried and tried.

Would agree with most of your ratings, save for Insua, Gerrard, Maxi and Kuyt.

Insua had a decent enough game and would warrant a 6.5 or even a 7.

Gerrard was ineffective and did not seem to want to do anything bar whinge. 5

Kuyt did try hard but he was also ineffective and his positioning was very poor at times, plus it defeated the point of playing one up front if that player kept sitting in deep positions. 5

Maxi 5

• Advertisement
Advertisement