Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

• 20-02-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Ok. I got eircom broadband yesterday. I got a free router aswell and Im trying to connect up the router to my vista computer wirelessly but I don't know how. I figured out that my computer cannot configure it automatically so I must do it manually or with a usb flash drive. However I don't think my router supports the the usb one....can anyone help
    Please:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

theres a big 2 page pull apart quick setup guide. Everything u need is in that. Seriously learn how to do it urself. Its really easy. Hint: Security Key is somewhere written down on what u received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

iknorr wrote: »
    theres a big 2 page pull apart quick setup guide. Everything u need is in that. Seriously learn how to do it urself. Its really easy. Hint: Security Key is somewhere written down on what u received.

Quick start guide is only actual physical setup. no info on it about setting it up on the computer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly are you sure that the bb has been activated on your line?

Often the router arrives before the connection has been set up.

Your best bet is to first connect your computer by ethernet to the router and see if the bb is active.

James2693 wrote: »
    Quick start guide is only actual physical setup. no info on it about setting it up on the computer

mine had info about passwords and wireless.

use either the ethernet cable ( as other poster suggested) or use the password on the underside of the router.
    To do this make sure ur wifi is on (pc) click the little network symbol on the tray near the clock. then the rest is even easier.

dub45 wrote: »
    Firstly are you sure that the bb has been activated on your line?

Often the router arrives before the connection has been set up.

Your best bet is to first connect your computer by ethernet to the router and see if the bb is active.

Yes it is active and i am using it with the ethernet

• Advertisement

mine had info about passwords and wireless.

use either the ethernet cable ( as other poster suggested) or use the password on the underside of the router.
    To do this make sure ur wifi is on (pc) click the little network symbol on the tray near the clock. then the rest is even easier.

I click on the network symbol and then click
    -connect to a network.
    -set up wireless router or access point
    It then detects the router. and tells me it windows cannot configure it automatically and i must do it manual or with a usb flash drive.
    I don't think my router supports usb so I click on manual configuration.
    It transfers me to an eircom website where it asks me to type in a password. I type in the password and this page comes up with loads of information about my network and my router. system information,connection information and network information. There is a security tab and a maintenance tab on the sidebar.

in the address bar....does it say 192.164.1.254 or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

www.eircom.net/tutorials

Full tutorials there on setup, etc.

www.eircom.net/tutorials

Full tutorials there on setup, etc.

step 3. How do you get the network to come up on that list?
    By setting it up. Thats what Im trying to do. Them tutorials are help full. But offer nothing to me.

in the address bar....does it say 192.164.1.254 or something like that?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

just call them...they will walk you through it.

just call them...they will walk you through it.

I probably will eventually if i cant work out anything on this.but atm iknorr seems to be onto something for me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

If I remeber correctly, a disc comes with package and that should be loaded on PC but does the pc have a wireless card or usb dongle??

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    If I remeber correctly, a disc comes with package and that should be loaded on PC but does the pc have a wireless card or usb dongle??

gb--

yes I used the CD to install the router.
    Actually not sure about the wireless card. but my laptop works with the router wirelessly and i don't know if that has a card either.

Yes laptop will have a card, use a lan cable for desktop, much better. I doubt if a desktop will have a wireless card.

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Yes laptop will have a card, use a lan cable for desktop, much better. I doubt if a desktop will have a wireless card.

gb--

yeah im using an ethernet cable now...so thats the only solution. Thanks people for your help:D

No, now that it works with cable it means PC is ok. To make it work wirelessly you need a usb adapter but I dont know if Eircom will let you have it for free, you could threaten to cancel.

Have a look here it explains about card as well.

xxxhttp://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=15&E=0000000000219567150&K=6528&Sxi=17&Problem=obj(7752)&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb;home;setupyourmodem

so dont give up

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Eircom give you a wireless usb dongle for free. Well I got one when there was second pc bought in the house four years ago.

I didnt have a wireless router and wasn't told by eircom if they could or would send one out. SO I had to get a belkin router and some lan cable. Just in-case people think i would know how to set up the dongle etc.

Advertisement