Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromore Castle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's still standing as far as I know , the roof was taken of many years ago (to avoid paying rates, I think) but the castle still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

the castle is still there but there are plans to demolish it something to do with the stone used to build it not being good and allowing in a lot of damp so they cant do it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

the castle is still there but there are plans to demolish it something to do with the stone used to build it not being good and allowing in a lot of damp so they cant do it up

That sounds stone mad very strange?

- Is this something we should be visiting before its gone???

How to you get there is it worth a day trip for a look around?

i dont think its open to the public but you could try its well worth seeing up close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have never seen it up close but it provided a beautiful backdrop for days spend swimming at the lake. Will be a pity to see it knocked. Stones can't be that bad if it is still standing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

wingnut wrote: »
    Have never seen it up close but it provided a beautiful backdrop for days spend swimming at the lake. Will be a pity to see it knocked. Stones can't be that bad if it is still standing!

Some great days dossing school and cycling out there on a hot day and the look teachers give when go back to school next day sun burnt or tanned
    Great place for a swim.
    Hope the castle doesn't get knocked.
    It was used for the movie 'High Spirits'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Anyone been out recently. We stopped going there as they sealed off the route down and an undesirable crowd were hanging around with baseball bats etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

wingnut wrote: »
    Anyone been out recently. We stopped going there as they sealed off the route down and an undesirable crowd were hanging around with baseball bats etc.

Limerick County Councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Raiser wrote: »
    Limerick County Councillors?

Gardai perhaps,Avoiding the warzone that is the city.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

gihj wrote: »
    Gardai perhaps,Avoiding the warzone that is the city.:rolleyes:

What a stupid comment to pass. You slag AGS here in this thread, yet in your own thread about scumbag neighbours, you praise them ??????????. You have no idea as to what members have to put up with during the course of their duties really do you !!!

• Advertisement

buzzman wrote: »
    What a stupid comment to pass. You slag AGS here in this thread, yet in your own thread about scumbag neighbours, you praise them ??????????. You have no idea as to what members have to put up with during the course of their duties really do you !!!

i really think that he was joking about ags and the smiley at the end gave it away besides we all know how hardworking the country guards are:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lee Condell

Myself and friends cycled out there and camped in the late 70's and at that time the structure was still very good. When McMahon's the timber yard bought the site they ripped the roof, all the floors and three of each four piece marble fireplace out. The sotry was that they didn't want to have to pay the rates as they bought the site for the forest, so they stripped it of everything of any value but stopped short of knocking down masonry. The main stairway marble was stripped as well, but the masonry stairs to the towers were perfect if you accessed them from the first floor. My father remembers calling there as a boy when it was still lived in. An American who lived in a modern bungalow below the castle on the West side came to check that we weren't vandalising the place and when he realised that we weren't used to bring us fresh bread and milk when we camped there. he told us that he had tried to buy the place to save it in the 60's, but simply couldn't afford it.
    The castle remained in remarkably good condition until the nid 90's when a land slip took away the level area to the NE side. The last I heard it had been used in the making of a film shortly after it had been bought by an American family and the last time I went there in the late 90's the lodge and gate were firmly locked.
    The sad thing is that though a relatively modern building it could have been a huge tourist attraction as the site that it's on surounded by forest with the vista over the lake is simply stunning. To many driving via Foynes to the coast from Limerick the sight of the turrets looked like the 'disney' castle as my sisters used to call it.
    What a terrible shame it wasn't saved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Dromore Castle was built in the late 19th century by the Earl of Limerick. The design was based on the buildings on top of the Rock of Cashel. Yes, its a pity that it was allowed to fall into ruin. Unfortunately, there was no appreciation of buildings of architectural merit in this country until very recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The film that was made there was High Spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And, better still it's available from Amazon! I'll be ordering a copy next time PP pays out. :D

You can't see anything of the castle in that film and the film is a dead Loss and that's coming from an xtra from the movie it was filmed at the castle but they added on bits of props all over the place the best part of the film was the White horse in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Feck I hope its not demolished, sounds like a good spot to take a few pics and have a bit of a wander around, although if its private property then not much hope of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

I was there probably around this time last year.
    Here are some photos I took

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33980179@N02/sets/72157622020370334/

Thanks for posting - just goes to show, once again, how accurate our wonderful newspapers are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aussie_mella

dos30 wrote: »
    I was there probably around this time last year.
    Here are some photos I took

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33980179@N02/sets/72157622020370334/

Dos30, your photos are lovely.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wonder if anyone knows who to contact to view the castle ruins up close?

• Advertisement

As far as I know the present owner lives in the modern house below the castle see the 1st post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64560125&postcount=1 I was there years ago but the new house was not there then so there was no problems with access. Spooky and damp but a real gem which should be saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Its like 5 minutes from my house and ive never been there.

Lovely pike in the lakes around it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We used to swim there with the castle backdrop. Shame to see it knocked of course but its likely beyond economical repair.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    We used to swim there with the castle backdrop. Shame to see it knocked of course but its likely beyond economical repair.

It's not in danger of being knocked or do you know otherwise? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

From reading the above it obviously holds a lot of memories for people and has been a landmark in the area.

Its a Stunning looking castle, crazy to knock it, what are the plans, put up some tacky english style council houses?..wouldnt be that surprising in limerick...
    I mean, that castle wouldnt look out of place in bavaria or switzerland and the area would be developed as a tourist attraction if it hadnt been thought of decades ago!

Wouldnt it have been lovely to develop the area as a nature reserve and a walking and recreation area, a small coffee shop and nature all around, plenty of walks and fresh air to get away from the city.

Something like that or something even better would probably be done with it if it was located on the mainland. But its in ireland, so..

phog wrote: »
    The film that was made there was High Spirits.

Came across this interesting shot of a Bedford OB bus outside Dromore Castle during the making of "High Spirits" in 1988.

HIGH+SPIRITS+1988+Bedford+OB+BUS+OUTSIDE+Dromore+Castle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Hope it's ok to post these - mods can feel free to remove if they break any rules. These pictures are scanned from the Winter 2011 issue of the Old Limerick Journal and are pictures of the castle when it was in use as a residence in the 1940s. If you can get a hold of a copy there's a pretty comprehensive history of the castle. As I understand it the present owners bought the castle with the dream of restoring it but prohibitive insurance costs and planning issues have resulted in it being left in its current state.

5e4bd8431247b64104549dec29266d71_zps5b9c5d33.jpg

cbe5e7008c4d3081cdd6c517983ee882_zps06a6e351.jpg

9f221fb9028bbcf8e5b83c7f68c12464_zps9604cbc4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Wow.Stunning photos, the drawing room reminds me of one of the rooms in Kilkenny Castle.

If it was restored it could be potentially one of the biggest tourist attractions in the south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

It's such a shame, just like Curraghchase, I don't know why the OPW or another agency don't step in to restore.. Maybe I'm cynical but I often think its a Limerick thing.. Hopefully the merging of city and county will get some kind of momentum and motivation going putting together a proper roadmap for the whole county.. Start with sorting this "Opera Centre" debacle everyone was raving on about at the start and then start fixing up gems like Dromore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

I've read in a few places that the reason the OPW/Local Authority won't step in or at least facilitate the owners in restoring the castle is that the castle is relatively young (~130 yrs old) and has not played a significant part in local or national history. The castle was built as a country retreat for the 3rd Earl of Limerick who lived there til 1896. The 4th Earl rarely used the castle and closed it up before the 1st World War. The castle was sold before the Second World War to a timber merchant to be stripped of all its valuable wood but the timber merchant kept it as a residence before eventually having to strip it and sell it to pay off debts. Other than the fact that the castle was built using the rent money of Limerick tenants paid to the 3rd Earl of Limerick there isn't a hugely significant history attached. That being said, I think the castle's fairytale looks and location speak for themselves and the place should be restored. If it was turned into a small scale Dromoland Castle type affair I think it would do well and create a decent number of jobs. Of course it would cost a fantastic sum of money and they'd have to sort the damp problem!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement