Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromore Castle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Here are a couple of links to the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage with some more history of Dromore Castle and a few pictures of it in its current state. Its actually a super resource documenting most noteworthy buildings in each county in ireland. Worth a look for your own area too.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=LC&regno=21901202#

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=LC&regno=21901202

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Here are a couple of links to the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage with some more history of Dromore Castle and a few pictures of it in its current state. Its actually a super resource documenting most noteworthy buildings in each county in ireland. Worth a look for your own area too.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=LC&regno=21901202#

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=LC&regno=21901202

Yes to this :) I'm not ashamed to say I've rinsed buildings of Ireland and www.landedestates.ie for places to visit and photograph or to look up the history of places I've visited previously. There's a lot of overlap in terms of the buildings covered by both registers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The castle is still there and now with the new road in Kildimo you really get a good view of it from the main road. We used to swim out there as kids and fish there as adults. Lovely spot. Water was crystal last time i was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It seems that "High Spirits" wasn't the only movie to include Dromore as this screenshot from a trailer for the elusive 1991 movie "Fatal Inheritance" shows a brief aerial shot. There may be more but I haven't the full film to hand - yet.

Fatal+Inheritance+Dromore+Castle.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Dromore needs a better film agent! With those fairy tale looks and chiselled features it deserves to be in a big budget period drama at the very least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Anyone know the directions to this please that could give them to me quickly please? I want to head out there now as I'm bored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Anyone know the directions to this please that could give them to me quickly please? I want to head out there now as I'm bored!

After Kildimo (coming from Limerick), look out for a sign that takes you to Bleach Lough. It is a right hand turn off the main road.
    You should also be able to see Dromore Castle from the distance where they removed that sharp turn in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

After Kildimo (coming from Limerick), look out for a sign that takes you to Bleach Lough. It is a right hand turn off the main road.
    You should also be able to see Dromore Castle from the distance where they removed that sharp turn in the last few years.

Thank you! Didn't end up going but will check it out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭edwood

Off limits to the public. Went looking for it today to try and shoot a college project. Couldn't get to it. Loads of farmers land signs trespassers will be shot etc. Unless we were going wrong way. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I went in there a couple of months back. One of the locals told me that I should just walk in and play ignorant if anyone saw me. There were a couple of dogs inside the gate near the gatehouse but they were a couple of aul pets.

Didn't walk around it but just took a few photos from the front. It's a fright to see something as impressive as that falling into disrepair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pictures are interesting, but it might be best to start a new thread about this, if anyone is interested. The black and white photos were amazing. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement