Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Com Ports not working

• 20-02-2010 12:37pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a weather station recently that you can connect to your pc and download the data using software provided. The station is connected to the pc by way of com port RS232. The problem is that the port is not detecting the station. The com port shows up in windows but nothing when i connect. I also tried a Sat Receiver to update firmware and it also didn't detect that device. Is there anything i can check or do that might help to get it to work???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

I got a weather station recently that you can connect to your pc and download the data using software provided. The station is connected to the pc by way of com port RS232. The problem is that the port is not detecting the station. The com port shows up in windows but nothing when i connect. I also tried a Sat Receiver to update firmware and it also didn't detect that device. Is there anything i can check or do that might help to get it to work???
    What OS are you using? Are you sure your using the correct COM Port Number? This can be changed in the Device Manager:

2jbmd7l.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

cpu.dude wrote: »
    What OS are you using? Are you sure your using the correct COM Port Number? This can be changed in the Device Manager:

2jbmd7l.jpg

Have a dual boot system so i have tried it in Windows 7 and Windows XP with the same results. Yes i am sure i am using the correct com port number.

Have a dual boot system so i have tried it in Windows 7 and Windows XP with the same results. Yes i am sure i am using the correct com port number.
    Perhaps try this COM Testing Software:

com-port-stress-test-1.jpgcom-port-stress-test-2.jpg

http://www.aggsoft.com/com-port-stress-test/download.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Perhaps try this COM Testing Software:

com-port-stress-test-1.jpgcom-port-stress-test-2.jpg

http://www.aggsoft.com/com-port-stress-test/download.htm

Tried out that software and it is detecting my 2 com ports. It is sending out data but receiving in nothing, on your test i can see it has data in and out. The weather station was connected to com port 1 at the time. Seems a strange problem, i'm stumped here to what is wrong.:confused:

Tried out that software and it is detecting my 2 com ports. It is sending out data but receiving in nothing, on your test i can see it has data in and out. The weather station was connected to com port 1 at the time. Seems a strange problem, i'm stumped here to what is wrong.:confused:
    Interesting? Check your BIOS Settings to make sure that it's correctly enabled. I have a 56K Modem years ago that wouldn't start no matter what I tried (for a solid year) and it turns out it was disabled in the BIOS.

• Advertisement

Interesting? Check your BIOS Settings to make sure that it's correctly enabled. I have a 56K Modem years ago that wouldn't start no matter what I tried (for a solid year) and it turns out it was disabled in the BIOS.

Checked the BIOS already but will give it another look just in case i missed something.

Checked BIOS and the com ports are enabled, so its hard to know what else to do :confused:

Advertisement