Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Xbox--worth it?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow Boardsies

I have an old Xbox in decent condition. I've seen the screenshots of modded Xbox and I like what I see. But tell me, is it worth getting it modded? It still oly has the 8GB hard drive space. It's still noisy, though nowhere near as noisy as its younger, chunkier brother the 360. And it still only handles SD content (HD ftw).

So where's the big advantage in modding it? When I could just hook my laptop to the telly? Genuine query by the way, not trying to get up anyone's snout:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Once modded, you can upgrade the hard-drive to a much bigger size. And Im neary sure you can chhose HD resolutions once modded too...some of the lads will say for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I find modding projects to be pretty damn fun, so fun would be my number one reason for doing anything modding related.

You can upgrade the hard drive space if you want as EnterNow said, you can leave it hooked up to the TV all the time as opposed to connecting/disconnecting your laptop when you want to watch stuff but yes, it struggles with 720p content and can't really play 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

If youre planning to watch standard divx, xvids, dvd's - there is nothing better than Xbox with Xbmc.

As for HD resolutions - even my upgraded Xbox with 1.4ghz CPU (twice as powerful as original one) is struggling with most of the mkv clips.

But still I love it, loove the emulators and all. Unfortunately I have to sell it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I'd mod it myself but there's a lot involved in hotswapping. I got my laptop just before its succesor was released with a HDMI port,which woulda been sweeeeet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

docentore wrote: »
    If youre planning to watch standard divx, xvids, dvd's - there is nothing better than Xbox with Xbmc.

As for HD resolutions - even my upgraded Xbox with 1.4ghz CPU (twice as powerful as original one) is struggling with most of the mkv clips.

But still I love it, loove the emulators and all. Unfortunately I have to sell it :(

:eek: How come you've got to sell it docentore? a 1.4ghz xbox is damn sweeeeeet, I remember reading about it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

:eek: How come you've got to sell it docentore? a 1.4ghz xbox is damn sweeeeeet, I remember reading about it too.

it is sweet, but I became a bit bored with it - it was fun to build it.

Anyway I can always build another one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I still need to build my one :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

its def worth it. you should be able to buy one for 60

Advertisement